Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times

Advertisements

I have a canon 40d. I was wondering what some good cold weather protection measures are? The two things I plan on photographing are Christmas lights and skiers.

For Christmas lights I've been waiting to see if the weather would warm up a tad, but it's not. Now that it's Christmas week, I'm out of time. It'll likely be single digit temps when I am out shooting(maybe temps in the teens at best).

I'd also like to take my camera skiing with me. I'd love to sit by the terrain parks and gets some shots of the skiers and boarders doing some freestyle stuff. Would a backup be good, or would one of those packs that strap around the waist be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
The biggest thing to worry about is condensation which forms when taking a cold camera into a warm place like the lodge or your house. There's a real simple way to prevent this. Simply place your camera with lens in a plastic bag before bringing it inside. A ziploc or small trash bag with a tie will do. Wait until the equipment warms up inside the house before taking it out of the bag.

Other than that, just watch your battery situation as they don't last as long in the cold. We just had a discussion about that in another thread. Keep a spare in your pocket so that it stays warm. The suggestion was also made to keep chemical hand warmer packs in your pocket with the batteries. I actually used hand warmers in my pockets while shooting in the early AM at Bosque del Apache and they were a blessing for warming up my hands.

Other than those two tips, you can shoot well below zero with no troubles.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
IDK if this helps but I have room under my coat for my XSi. When not in use it stays warm with hardly any condensation. Though, I don't stay out long in cold conditions.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
I just posted something similar to your plastic bag tip, Kdog, on another thread before I saw this one. I was so glad when they came out with those jumbo Ziploc bags which work great for the bigger DSLRs.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 PM

83 posts, read 259,507 times
Thanks for the tips.. I've been looking for some ideas regarding this...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,995 times
Check this out. At least would keep hands and camera warm.
[url=http://www.photographersedge.com/Camera-Protector-for-Digital-SLR/productinfo/A1349/]Camera Protector for Digital SLR-Photographer's Edge[/url]

Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
keep all spare batteries close to your body not in a camera bag.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
I live in a city in which it is below zero 8 months out of every year.

I live with Eskimo's in the upper Arctic of Alaska - the city is Barrow Alaska.

temps can plunge as low as 50 below and colder !! I have used more than a dozen different types of cameras over a 30 year span.

My camera(s) sit on a tripod outside for two months! IN the most brutal weather immaginable.

For two months every year - the village(s) move many miles out on the ocean ice pack of the Chukchi Sea. This is where we hunt for food.

I have been 'active' in over 70 different forums on PHOTOGRAPHY. Every forum has this same exact question; The answers are pretty standard.

Use a bag to insulate your camera before you bring it in to the warm (area) such as a house.

In 30 years time; I have NEVER DONE THAT !!

I take the camera (as shown) and bring it directly into the house; I place the camera on a table; then I get an absorbent towel to place the camera on - and I let the condensation process BEGIN.

I prefer to call it - "sweating" because as I wipe the water off the camera, it sweats some more - and continues to do so for many hours.

This is a time well spent - cleaning the camera!!

Under no conditions do you ever open the back or remove the lens; until the process has run its course.

I began documenting the Inupiaq way of life in 1981. I used 100 rolls of film the first year & 500 rolls of film the next year. I processed ALL COLOR FILM - by using SNOW as I had no source of water.!!

I am happy to say; not once in 30 years have I had a camera malfunction.

ALL of my film is still in pristine condition 30 years later!!

My favorite camera to use is a studio camera; it is a mechanical camera; which requires no batteries. MAMIYA RB 67

My cameras become encased in ice and they still function.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photopenny View Post
Check this out. At least would keep hands and camera warm.
Camera Protector for Digital SLR-Photographer's Edge
here is a link for the same camera protector for half that price..only $20 ...they also sell a small dry bag like the large kind you use for kayaking....if you see something on this site though...buy it....when it is gone it is gone and lots of time not carried again....
Bags, Cases & Straps | Camera Accessories | Photography | LinkDelight Limited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography