Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times

Advertisements

Haha yeah I was thinking I'd just switch out the picture with a naked fat guy or something...that'll learn em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I water marked this with Picasa....Easy.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
BlueWillowPlate, will you show us the photo in question?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It's pretty easy to wipe away a watermark that is small. The image can be cropped or the clone stamp used to blot it out.

If you REALLY don't want people using your pictures you have to put a blatant watermark on that can't be finessed away. That, however, ruins the viewing for your friends who want to be able to enjoy the pics of themselves.

You have to consider a few things:
Do you really care if someone else posts your image without crediting you? Do you read the credits for all of the images you view?
Would you be able to collect if your images were used commercially?
Yes, those are all important considerations.
I do care if someone uses my pic without crediting me.
The photo in question is special to me; it's been my computer wallpaper ever since I came home from that trip in February 2006. My son and I were walking through the freezing castle of Carcassonne at 7am, with no other tourists there.

If they are there to be read, I do read the credits for images I view online.

I ended up using a watermark that is short, but I mostly put it in obtrusive places. I am certainly not going to watermark pics I put up on Facebook, or photos I email to family and friends.

I have a friend who was just contacted by people in Wash DC for permission to use her cherry blossom photo--they had seen it on Flicker. It does happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed on the absence of legal need to label owned content.
I'm no great photographer, but it is interesting how many folks will steal my images. Often it is other Realtors, some who know they are stealing and don't care, and some whom I really believe do not know better.
Yes.
I've been fairly ignorant of this, myself.
And technically, this travel site was not really doing anything wrong, I had my account set to public (but they were somewhat misrepresenting the location of my photo. Carcassonne is indeed in southwest France, but nothing in their advertised tour discusses it.)
Kanhawk, I am pretty sure I've posted that photo here before, probably in the World forum?
Now I feel all embarrassed about it.
I will DM you.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
For future reference if anyone ever finds there images being used contact the site owner and give them a short deadline to remove it. If they don't remove it send a DMCA notice to their host. You'll get instant action.

There's pretty good guide here: Scraped or Stolen Content: What To Do First

You can try and charge them for it but since they will most likely refuse you're aonly alterantive is to sue. Probably not worth the effort.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Thanks, coalman. Wow, I am finding this Photography forum to be just a wealth of information and, if you include all of CD, it's almost mind-boggling the stuff you can learn.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

I checked their site and every photo they are using is being "hotlinked" from another site... (You can see it by right clicking on the photos and checking the properties) In other words they didn't "download" your photo, they are linking to it straight from your Photobucket account. (They probably found it on a Google search)

Simple fix... Go into your Photobucket account and move that pic to a different folder... that will break the *link* and they will be left with a red X (which is what they deserve for not crediting you )
Here's a suggestion: REPLACE your vacation photo in that spot with one of a pile of dog poop. So now their hotlinked web travel site will show a photo of poop for the vacation destination when folks go there, until they figure it out.

http://bestsmileys.com/evil/11.gif (broken link)

Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Here's a suggestion: REPLACE your vacation photo in that spot with one of a pile of dog poop. So now their hotlinked web travel site will show a photo of poop for the vacation destination when folks go there, until they figure it out.
Well...
Yeah...

Tempting as it may be, that just isn't an image I would like to direct people to on MY own account site...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For future reference if anyone ever finds there images being used contact the site owner and give them a short deadline to remove it. If they don't remove it send a DMCA notice to their host. You'll get instant action.

There's pretty good guide here: Scraped or Stolen Content: What To Do First

You can try and charge them for it but since they will most likely refuse you're aonly alterantive is to sue. Probably not worth the effort.
If you pop over to ActiveRain and read Lenn Harley's accounts of copyright infringement and her response, you will see that she claims to have collected over $200,000 from image thieves.
She does not ask politely.
She sends a demand letter with an initial bill for $3,000, and if ignored, she says she presses for attorney fees if she has to sue.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I water marked this with Picasa....Easy.
Did you do this when the photo was already uploaded on Picasa? If so, I'd be interested to hear how it was done and if it can be done in batches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography