Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

After many years of taking great pics, my point-n-shoot Canon has developed focus issues when zoomed in, and it's time to replace it.

I've wanted a decent DSLR that has a proven record in astrophotography, and the Canon 350D is the one I've decided on. I've been looking at that camera for years, and the time has come to spend a few bucks on the forced upgrade. All I'll need initially is the body and basic lens that typically comes with it (18-55mm, I think). I'm sure I'll be adding lenses to the collection as I take a class or two and learn more about taking decent photos.

Any suggestions for places to find a deal on such a beast? While I am in the market for it, I really don't have any money to spare, so finding the best deal possible is pretty important. I've been checking eBay and craigslist, but I figure that there are probably some better sites out there.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
You're in the US? I ask because your location says Las Vegas but you refer to the camera as the 350D, which is the UK model name - in the US it's known as the Digital Rebel XT.

Anyway, for US purchases I recommend Adorama: Cameras

There are 4 XT's available there - 2 with the kit lens, 2 without - all in excellent condition.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM

277 posts, read 626,992 times
KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. is my favorite place for both used and new Camera equipment. KEH is the largest used camera dealer in the world.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM

247 posts, read 745,338 times
before you buy I suggest you read some of the reviews at Photocrati.com. Peter Burian just published this one about the Sony A850, it's a pretty good read: Sony Alpha A850 Digital SLR Review: Field Test Report — Photocrati – Photography Blog, Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews

Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 PM

247 posts, read 745,338 times
holy crap that link came out long. sorry, I don't usually post links in this forum.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
As PA2UK asked, are you looking for the UK or US version of the camera? While the guts will be the same, if you need the camera repaired, issues may arise.

Here are a few additional thoughts on this.

1) You mention "astrophotography" and if that is what you are pursuing a site you may find helpful in learning about astrophotography is Astrophotography Techniques.

2) If you are planning to shoot the stars using a telescope, make sure the telescope can support the weight of the camera. Make sure the telescope will take a threaded mount. IIRC, you then need to get a T-mount which will replace the lens that would normally be placed on the camera. Depending on how close the camera body is to the telescope, you may also need an extension tube for extra space.

2a) If you need a telescope, you may want to check out SCOPETRONIX.COM. Just be aware that you may be in for a bit of sticker shock.

3) If you are planning to shoot with "just" a telephoto lens, I'd recommend budgeting for a quality tripod and a remote shutter release so as to minimize camera shake.

3a) If you are going the telephoto route, keep in mind that your lenses, even used, are going to get pricey pretty quick. And you are going to want to make certain you are looking at high f-stops, <2.8, if you are looking for quality photos.

4) When you do look at telephoto lenses, look for the image stabilization (IS) so that even light vibrations caused by the raising and lowering of the mirror can be minimized, if not eliminated.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You're in the US? I ask because your location says Las Vegas but you refer to the camera as the 350D, which is the UK model name - in the US it's known as the Digital Rebel XT.
Yes, the US version would be the one I'm looking at. Didn't realize there was a difference. (Is there a [functional] difference?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Anyway, for US purchases I recommend Adorama: Cameras

There are 4 XT's available there - 2 with the kit lens, 2 without - all in excellent condition.
They have one at a really good price - I've bookmarked it - thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBoy914 View Post
before you buy I suggest you read some of the reviews at Photocrati.com. Peter Burian just published this one about the Sony A850, it's a pretty good read: Sony Alpha A850 Digital SLR Review: Field Test Report — Photocrati – Photography Blog, Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews
That looks like a really nice camera (24mp?!), but $2k is just a wee bit outside my budget.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
1) You mention "astrophotography" and if that is what you are pursuing a site you may find helpful in learning about astrophotography is Astrophotography Techniques.

2) If you are planning to shoot the stars using a telescope, make sure the telescope can support the weight of the camera. Make sure the telescope will take a threaded mount. IIRC, you then need to get a T-mount which will replace the lens that would normally be placed on the camera. Depending on how close the camera body is to the telescope, you may also need an extension tube for extra space.

2a) If you need a telescope, you may want to check out SCOPETRONIX.COM. Just be aware that you may be in for a bit of sticker shock.

3) If you are planning to shoot with "just" a telephoto lens, I'd recommend budgeting for a quality tripod and a remote shutter release so as to minimize camera shake.

3a) If you are going the telephoto route, keep in mind that your lenses, even used, are going to get pricey pretty quick. And you are going to want to make certain you are looking at high f-stops, <2.8, if you are looking for quality photos.

4) When you do look at telephoto lenses, look for the image stabilization (IS) so that even light vibrations caused by the raising and lowering of the mirror can be minimized, if not eliminated.
Thanks for the tips. I've been in astronomy for a number of years, and I'm already setup as far as all that goes. I've also been dabbling in astrophotography with webcams and point-n-shoots, and doing some homework on DSLR astrophotography in general, so I pretty much know what to expect. My scope isn't ideal for astrophotography (pretty slow at f/9), but the mount (LXD55 GEM) is well suited. I'll be doing a lot of stacking.

I've played around with an Olympus film camera at prime focus, but dealing with film is way too costly to experiment with as much as I need to. BTW, the Olympus is for sale if anyone's looking...

Until I get a more appropriate scope, I plan to do most of my photography with the camera piggybacked on the one I have. Since the new camera is replacing my PowerShot, I'll be using it for every day stuff, too, of course, and I'll finally be able to take some photography classes - I always figured that it wasn't worth bothering until I had the right hardware to be able to take some serious pictures.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes, the US version would be the one I'm looking at. Didn't realize there was a difference. (Is there a [functional] difference?)
No, it's the same camera, just a different name. I only mention it because if you're looking for a 350D in the US, you'll struggle to find it in your searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography