Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with me lately, but a lot of the photographs I've shot lately just don't measure up to my usual performance, and I'm not feeling that creative spark/passion while out shooting that I normally do (and it shows). I feel like I'm getting worse instead of better. Hoping it's just a slump.

I was wondering if any of you ever go through a period like this from time to time?

I'm hoping all the color and magic of the holiday season will get me back on track, but in the meantime, I'll be advertising for a new muse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Yes, I've had the experience.

When I get into one of those ruts, it's usually because the subject matter is sort of ho-hum.

What I do to break out is look for subjects that are different from what I usually shoot. In fact, there are times where I'll totally leave my comfort zone.

Example: This Summer, I wasn't really getting into the groove of prepping for shooting college football. One weekend, there was an announcement in my church bulletin that there would be a car show the following weekend. I hadn't shot a car show in my life. So I thought I'd give it a try. Results are here. Certainly not worthy of the pages of Muscle Car Magazine or Road and Track, but it did score me $50 in sales from one of the car owners who told me he had no idea how to shoot his car, but he loved the images I got. See the ones of the red Thunderbird.

After shooting that, I was sort of energized to learn more about photographing cars and getting ready for college football. Go figure!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Happens to me all the time, almost the story of my life, I have gone months, maybe a few years not taking a photo. The age of digital perked me up. I don't take photography that serious. I shoot a bunch of crummy pictures which makes someone smile, so I've been practicing 50 years....

Rich

Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Hey PG, you took the words out of my mouth. I have had two kiddie functions, both indoors in auditoriums and I felt my shots were truly sub par and blah. I thought I've done everything right, shot in RAW, moving from manual to aperture settings to Auto (desperation setting in), ISO at 400, ISO at 200, anti-shake settings on, etc. etc. Still, they came out totally BLECH! I felt like, hey...after a year or so, and with enuff photos that were decent under my belt, what happened????

I guess this whole economy crap is depressing me...we didn't even carve pumpkins for Halloween, kids did not ToT at all...

BLECH is getting under my skin and I need to shake it off.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
It's called time.. and compositions. Need to change venue on subject matter and time of day ~ night.
I know I'm in that slump... don't have "time" to be creative and try something new... no time

Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
It's called time.. and compositions. Need to change venue on subject matter and time of day ~ night.
Yup.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I know I'm in that slump... don't have "time" to be creative and try something new... no time
This is kinda where I'm at as well. I used to take tons of photos and spend a lot of time editing when I had my PnS camera. I got my SLR about 1.5 years ago, and barely ever shoot or edit anymore. I think it's because I've started a full-time job and don't have the same free time or go on as many trips anymore. I just don't have the time to shoot as much as I'd like.

I've found that getting new gear can help spark the creativity again though. I finally got myself an external flash, and am gonna play around with off-camera lighting when it comes in

Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 10,983 times
How can we do better?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
How can we do better?
You can start by figuring out the best way for you to post photos. Search this forum on Photobucket, ImageShack, Picasa, etc. etc.

Take your photo and note the settings you used, including time of day. This means your aperture, shutter speed and ISO at the very least, other equipment (filters, flash, etc. if applicable). Let us know if you have used a point and shoot, a bridge camera or a DSLR. Better that you name your model so posters who have similar cameras can pipe in with their opnions. Might help to let us know your level...newbie, intermediate, pro...

Search for a thread to post your photo to. Try not to start a new thread. We've covered pretty much everything in this forum.

If you ask for opinions, be ready for a critique. That is, if you really want to learn.

Now show us your photos!

Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
If your in the area and want to get the creative juices going again I suggest the following.....
About 50 miles South of Daytona Beach,FL

Birding - Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival - Titusville Florida - January
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography