Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There is a barbershop in my area full of ancient 'Burghers I visited exactly once--your sense of humor would fit right in there (ask them what they think of black people winning the lottery).
Is it something along the lines of "countdown to being broke"? That's what Chris Rock said.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,630 times
Default Oh For God's Sake

The truth is the truth.

Summer is here. Blacks will be shooting in the city.

Truth is not racist; facts are not racist.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Hyperbole is not truth. Hyperbole is not facts.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Call me a prick, but I am tempted to post in this thread every time there is a shooting in the city over the summer and link to its respective news story. How often will we see Homewood, Hill District, North Side, Beltzhoover, Manchester, East Liberty, Lincoln-Larimer, etc.. detailed? And how often will we see Bloomfield, Shadyside, Mt. Washington, Point Breeze, Regent Square and Squirrel Hill in the articles?

Nahhh. I'm not that much of a jerk. I'll just let it go.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
I was under the impression that "hyperbole" was a really wild exaggeration.

We'd all agree that it's Summer.

We'd all agree that there will be shootings and that percentages would lean toward the above statement being at least 50% true.

I'm not so sure the term hyperbole fits in this instance.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Here is the statement, again:

"Once summer hits the black people start shooting each other for some reason."

What percentage of black people in Pittsburgh do you think will actually shoot someone, or be shot, this summer?

Of course it is hyperbole. Sheesh.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:

What percentage of black people in Pittsburgh do you think will actually shoot someone, or be shot, this summer?

^ This.

How wrong the OP's statement is has absolutely nothing to do with the percentage of violent crime attributed to African-Americans. It could be 100% for all I know, it wouldn't matter. The problem is caused by the extrapolation to all African-Americans, of which there are over 80,000 in the city alone.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:

OK...but then you are going clear back to the beginning of this thread when you quote that.

However, your reply certainly SEEMED to be in reference to the post immediately above yours.....

WaxDiva:
Quote:
The truth is the truth.

Summer is here. Blacks will be shooting in the city.

Truth is not racist; facts are not racist.
Your reply:
Quote:
Hyperbole is not truth. Hyperbole is not facts.
Did I miss something or didn't you even use the two terms "truth" and "facts" indicating that you were not reverting back to the beginning of the thread and were in fact replying to the latest one immediately above?

Since the chances of that statement being false are only 50%, and the definition of hyperbole is a huge exaggeration, I merely said that it doesn't seem to qualify as hyperbole.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post

How wrong the OP's statement is has absolutely nothing to do with the percentage of violent crime attributed to African-Americans. It could be 100% for all I know, it wouldn't matter. The problem is caused by the extrapolation to all African-Americans, of which there are over 80,000 in the city alone.
As was discussed here before....anyone who read that and truly thinks that it meant that EVERY SINGLE Black person in Pittsburgh will pull a trigger this Summer is being just as silly.

I'm not defending the OP's statement, but I hate all this PC rhetoric which actually prevents any meaningful conversation which even remotely speaks of RACIAL matters by instantly labeling the speaker as a racist or bigot.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
A percentage that is six to seven times what the Caucasion percentages are.

Oh no! Where are the P.C. police? Will they come and get me for not being progressive and enlightened enough? Maybe I didn't take enough African-American Studies classes at university? Where are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to correct me and instill white guilt upon my conscience? After all, it's completely my fault because I'm white that little Jamal decided to shoot his rival down on the corner. I'm "oppressing" our darker brethren by my mere whiteness, presence and privilege. Shame on me.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 06-21-2010 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh