Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM

112 posts, read 161,700 times

Advertisements

I can't wait until this is in operation!
Driving back and forth from South park to the North side every day in rush hour traffic is getting really old, really quick.
I saw the new track and the stations a few days ago and its looking really nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They've always talked about people taking the T to games, including parking elsewhere along the T first. So at a guess, they included that factor already in coming up with their estimates of how many garage slots they would need in the long run to make up for the lost surface spots.
that would assume they've looked at various service levels, etc, which, in my experience, is too much to assume. it's possible, but I wouldn't assume it. in addition to the T (probably the most efficient if far too limited) you coudl run articulated buses as well. there's both a capital subsidy and operating subsidy associated with the garages.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
They've always talked about people taking the T to games, including parking elsewhere along the T first. So at a guess, they included that factor already in coming up with their estimates of how many garage slots they would need in the long run to make up for the lost surface spots.
They need to keep that surface lot between Heinz Field and the Fort Duquesne Bridge so people can tailgate.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that would assume they've looked at various service levels, etc, which, in my experience, is too much to assume. it's possible, but I wouldn't assume it.
I'd call it a guess rather than an assumption, but it is an informed guess. These are sophisticated players and they worked out a comprehensive deal with full knowledge of the plans for the T.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
They need to keep that surface lot between Heinz Field and the Fort Duquesne Bridge so people can tailgate.
They did reserve the lots on the other side of General Robinson (Gold 1, I believe) when making the development plans.

Personally, I think people should start getting used to the idea of tailgaiting in T park-and-ride lots.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'd call it a guess rather than an assumption, but it is an informed guess. These are sophisticated players and they worked out a comprehensive deal with full knowledge of the plans for the T.
that kind of skirts the issue. the assumptions beind the "plans for the T" are what I'm getting at. until I see them, I would say they likely included the current operating schedule.

what are the changes in bus/LRT service PAT has laid out for post- NSC launch?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
until I see them, I would say they likely included the current operating schedule.
I actually don't know what you mean. The current operating schedule includes nothing for the NSC, because it doesn't exist yet.

Quote:
what are the changes in bus/LRT service PAT has laid out for post- NSC launch?
I don't know if there is a public service plan available (there may well be).

But if you poke around PAT's NSC pages, you can find stuff like this:

Port Authority of Allegheny County > News > Capital Projects > North Shore Connector > FAQs

Quote:
Ridership associated with Steelers' and Pirates' games is expected to account for about 12% of the 4.2 million annual riders projected to use the North Shore Connector.
Somewhere there is a ridership study which supports that claim, and again my informed guess is that the Steelers, Pirates, SEA, and so on had access to that sort of thing when formulating their development agreement.

By the way, that is about 500,000 annual game riders. I don't know how they are dividing that up between football and baseball games, but it looks like they are expecting significant numbers per game.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
I guess I don't see the real advantage to taking the T to a Pirates game over just walking over the bridge. I suppose South Hills People could just take the T all the way up, but the people that are going to do that are probably taking it already.

I suppose it could be a different story in bad weather: but then again, if the weather is too bad there isn't going to be baseball anyhow.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I actually don't know what you mean. The current operating schedule includes nothing for the NSC, because it doesn't exist yet.
it doesn't need to exist to draw up an operating plan. how will service change when the nsc is implemented or will T trains simply be extended and that's that? most likely they plan on specials but what about feeder buses or express buses?

Quote:
Somewhere there is a ridership study which supports that claim, and again my informed guess is that the Steelers, Pirates, SEA, and so on had access to that sort of thing when formulating their development agreement. By the way, that is about 500,000 annual game riders. I don't know how they are dividing that up between football and baseball games, but it looks like they are expecting significant numbers per game.
you have to be careful with team claims I'd imagine. who benefits from the development?
so they expect half a million given current plans. what I'm saying is, compare the capital and operating subsidy for a new garage to what might be require to move the needle on increasing the number of transit (not just T, buses if need be) users. more transit users equals fewer spaces needed. something the stadium owners might be reluctant to admit is that fewer spots=higher price per spot=more transit riders and more money for the taaxpayers who funded the stadiums.

Sammy is right, PNC Park isn't that inconvenient as it is. Of course, I dount the Pirates need more space than is available (even assuming sellouts) since the stadium capacity is much lower than the steelers. it's likely A) the steelers or B) concern over the days when the two coincide. those are both bad reasons not to develop land though, since those days are very few and lack of development impacts most of the year, every year.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
They did reserve the lots on the other side of General Robinson (Gold 1, I believe) when making the development plans.

Personally, I think people should start getting used to the idea of tailgaiting in T park-and-ride lots.
Part of the atmosphere of tailgating is being in the shadow of the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh