Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Neighborhood is Best for Me?
Lawrenceville 11 39.29%
Mt. Washington 17 60.71%
Other (Please Specify Below) 1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Actually, it should be, MAY I help who is next? (because you know you can)
My first boss drove us nuts with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Which still is either specific to this area, or some newly popularized shorthand of..

"Can I help whoever/whomever is next?" or "Can I help the person who is next?"..
There is nothing new or particular to this area about the short form "Can I help who's next?" That was standard in Michigan where I grew up (people in Michigan probably contract more than anywhere else I have lived, in fact), pretty standard on the East Coast, and so on.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There is nothing new or particular to this area about the short form "Can I help who's next?" That was standard in Michigan where I grew up (people in Michigan probably contract more than anywhere else I have lived, in fact), pretty standard on the East Coast, and so on.
A quick google turns up quite a few people complaining about its increased usage, so I don't think it's just me who went 20 years without ever hearing it and now feels inundated by its constant use

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Actually, it should be, MAY I help who is next? (because you know you can).
This is another pet peeve of mine--either is actually fine. "Can I help you?" is an accepted English equivalent of "Would you like me to help you?" As a polite alternative to simply shouting "Next!" or "Hey you--your turn!", saying "Can I help you?" to the next person in a line to let them know you are available is fine.

And the typical argument for preferring "May I help you?" doesn't make sense, I would note. You aren't actually asking them for their permission to help them either--indeed, that permission is just as much implied by them standing in line as their desire for your help is implied by them standing in line. Either way, you are really just trying to get their attention, and doing so in a way considered more polite (by using a question which isn't strictly necessary in the circumstances).

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
A quick google turns up quite a few people complaining about its increased usage, so I don't think it's just me who went 20 years without ever hearing it and now feels inundated by its constant use

Some googling also suggests that kids these days are listening to their music way too loud (and it is all just noise anyway), and they are not respectful like they used to be.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM

408 posts, read 991,871 times
Quote:
Some googling also suggests that kids these days are listening to their music way too loud (and it is all just noise anyway), and they are not respectful like they used to be.
me, me... i'm talking last!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM

156 posts, read 296,842 times
Quote:
You can walk (perhaps with an incline ride thrown in) from Mt. Washington to Station Square, Downtown, the North Shore, and the South Side. Some people are painting a picture of Mt. Washington as off in the middle of nowhere, but it really isn't.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd do serious assessment of my likely lifestyle, asking how often am I going to be commuting to work versus going out to a bunch of different hot spots. If you are the kind of person who goes out a lot of weekday nights to a variety of places, particularly if your likely friends are in the East End, the Lawrenceville is probably a better bet. But if you mostly just go out on weekends, then I would say the better walking commute points toward Mt. Washington.
Hi - I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but wanted to point a couple things out about Mt Washington. First, there is bus service. I live on Bailey - the "43 Bailey" bus stops a block from my house. The "40 Mt Washington" bus stops at the foodland, so it just a few blocks from my house. Depending on where you live, you might benefit from both busses. Second, you can take your bike on the Mon incline - there is a wheel chair accessible car you can use. Third, the view is different on Bailey than on Grandview, but not necessarily worse (I think it is beautiful from both places). Fourth, I want to underscore JT's comments about the MWCDC - it is extremely active on several fronts.

I wish there were more businesses in the business district. However, I am hopeful that more businesses will continue to come to Mt Washington. There is a new place opening on Shiloh called "Cream". According to the 15211.org blog, it will be a French Restaurant (though it has a picture of a coffee cup, so who knows :-))

This is not a vote against Lawrenceville; just wanted to give you some information

Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Its a matter of convenience. Do you really want to wait for the incline or walk all the way up the hill to get anywhere?

South side, kinda, but the other neighborhoods you mentioned are more entertainment destinations than containing livable amenities.. markets, barber shops, doctors, etc.
The incline runs continuously. Unless there are many tourists, the wait is not significant.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My point was that the walking commute from Mt Washington would be a twice-daily event. So if that is a much more frequent event for you than going out, that points in favor of Mt Washington.
I walk to the point and the North Shore frequently. There is are pedestrian walkways on the bridges. You can take the Mon down, and then walk on the flat trail over to the Fort Pitt Bridge, or you can walk over to the Duq incline.

Also, you can take the Mon incline down and get right on the south side trail, another thing I do frequently. Or, cross the Smithfield Bridge, walk a couple blocks, and get on the Jail trail.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Thanks for telling me about 15211.org. I had actually never heard of that site. This was NOT an easy decision, but in the end Lawrenceville didn't really enough of an "edge" in my eyes to make it preferable to the commuting ease of Mt. Washington. There were actually more businesses in the neighborhood than I had at first envisioned, including a Subway (perfect for when lazy bums like me don't feel like cooking some evening and just want a cheap foot-long meatball marinara sub!)

Call me crazy, but I seriously am entertaining the idea of purchasing this home on Eureka Street:

An Unaddressed Home in Mt Washington, Pa 15211 - Real Estate - MLS #835811 - Realtor.com®

I intentionally walked by the home, and it's on a very nice block. The home sits high on a hill up a set of narrow stairs (moving furniture should be fun!) I really adore this home. I would make minimal changes, although I do have to admit the pink walls would have to be repainted, and I'd replace that "bold" carpeting with some more subdued hardwood flooring (maybe if I'm lucky there are original hardwoods under the carpets!) The kitchen looks like it needs updating as well, but these are all things that could be done piece meal as I save more money to make renovations. That backyard looks to be the perfect size for my hot tub!

I just wish I had money saved for a down payment (sigh!) Pittsburgh definitely could use some more urban pioneers. "The Mount" overall is already as you said "a gem needing to be polished". The problems I made note of are almost all "quick-fixes."
Or, you could say that like a native: "a gem that needs polished" :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh