Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Where should I look for apartments?

I just got a job in Moon Township, 3 miles southeast of the airport. I'm a 23 y/o single female, college educated, employed as an engineer.

I'd like to be in an area with some singles my age. Moon or Coraopolis just DON'T seem like the right place. I know some of the good neighborhoods are east of the city, but I'm concerned about the commute.

A few more details:

* Would like to pay < $1000/mo rent
* Prefer <45 min commute
* Likes biking/outdoors
* Likes sports
* Likes nightlife, but not a partier
* Not necessarily looking for hip and trendy, just single-friendly
* Would like to find a place before the end of the year

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctechie View Post
Where should I look for apartments?

I just got a job in Moon Township, 3 miles southeast of the airport. I'm a 23 y/o single female, college educated, employed as an engineer.

I'd like to be in an area with some singles my age. Moon or Coraopolis just DON'T seem like the right place. I know some of the good neighborhoods are east of the city, but I'm concerned about the commute.

A few more details:

* Would like to pay < $1000/mo rent
* Prefer <45 min commute
* Likes biking/outdoors
* Likes sports
* Likes nightlife, but not a partier
* Not necessarily looking for hip and trendy, just single-friendly
* Would like to find a place before the end of the year

Thanks!
You would definitely be a good fit for Pittsburgh's South Side Flats. You'll already be on the correct side of the river and your commute will be a breeze. I know at least one person who commutes to the airport from the South Side and it's really not that bad at all.

Another neighborhood that is on the correct side of the river but a little less singles friendly is Mt. Washington.

I think in both places you can find something for less than $1000, though it may be a little more difficult in the Southside Flats.

One source I looked at that helped me find my apartment is CribQ.

Last edited by gameguy56; 10-28-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Look into Crafton, South Side, Mt Washington, maybe War Streets or the West End. Just some options. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Hmmmm. I'm a single 23-year-old male looking to move to Mt. Washington by the end of the year. Interesting. We might be neighbors?! Welcome to Da 'Burgh from one DC transplant to another!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times
@Reston - What interests you about Mt. Washington? I'm going to drive around that area tomorrow; maybe I'll find out.

And I'm not a DC transplant (I know the name is a little misleading). I'm a mid-westerner by birth, but I just moved from a long span in Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Far out suggestion, I know, but at least look at Moon Twp. With Robert Morris U there, some young people do live there. Very suburban, and if you don't like that, it won't be for you.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctechie View Post
@Reston - What interests you about Mt. Washington? I'm going to drive around that area tomorrow; maybe I'll find out.

And I'm not a DC transplant (I know the name is a little misleading). I'm a mid-westerner by birth, but I just moved from a long span in Atlanta.
Well, I'll be working Downtown in a high-rise, and living in Mt. Washington means I can take the incline down the cliffside and then walk across a bridge to work. I can also walk to Station Square, the North Shore, the Consol Energy Center, and even the South Side if I was a bit ambitious. Where I'm living now near DC it can often take me an hour to drive 7 miles each way to my office from my apartment, and I spend so much time behind the wheel here to get anywhere that I want to live as close to being car-free as possible, which is why Mt. Washington appeals to me. The views are also amazing---not only on Grandview Avenue but also at Grandview Park (and also the tiny block of Bigbee Street, in front of Bailey).

Mt. Washington (beyond Grandview Avenue) has a definite blue-collar and somewhat "distressed" vibe to it. Some in our generation view that as a bad thing. Since I'm a white-collar who grew up in a blue-collar town I think it's refreshing because I've had enough of living in DC where everyone is so sophisticated and worldly that they are "ahead of the curve". I just want to be able to get to know my neighbors. There aren't many younger people there, but that might change when the 1 Grandview project is completed, bringing a lot more foot traffic to the area. Shiloh Street is small, but it packs a nice little punch. There are a couple of neighborhood restaurants/bars there, along with a few more near where Bailey meets Boggs @ Wyoming. There is a small grocery store (Foodland) and a Rite-Aid. A French bistro, "Creme", is opening soon.

The neighborhood has its faults. When I was in town last Saturday to do some preliminary scouting I saw tons of litter everywhere, graffiti, felt uneasy around some foul-mouthed punks, etc. It IS a city, though, so that's to be expected. I personally felt that the GOOD in the neighborhood outweighed its drawbacks, but your experience may vary. The neighborhood suits me well. It's "sleepy", yet it's still close enough where you can be in the "action" in 10 minutes. It's also VERY reasonably-priced. Hypothetically speaking if you and I were roomies (my maximum budget would also be $1,000/month), we could get an amazing place like this:

Spectacular Mt Washington Home (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/2026836443.html - broken link)

I walked by this 2-BR/2-BA home, and the views from the rear decks are breathtaking. Not bad considering I pay $1,200/month now for a slummy 1-BR 20 miles outside the city in DC.

Sorry about assuming you were from DC---we have a lot of "techie"-types here. My aunt and uncle are actually from the Atlanta area (Acworth), so it's nice to have more Southern charm on its way up.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I'm thinking South Side too, but be forewarned it gets a Mardi Gras vibe on weekend nights. Otherwise, it seems like an excellent fit.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 PM

59 posts, read 129,788 times
I'm 24. From South Florida. Went to Pitt, and this place stuck.

Anyways,

I have plenty of friends in Mt. Washington and as well as the Flats. And needless to say, I spend much more time at my friends places in the South Side. If you want to get away from the neighborhood bars on Shiloh for the night, provided you live on that side of the mountain, chances are you'll be headed "eastbound and down" to the South Side. If PAT was more convenient, and the inclines ran late (not stopping at 1230), I would strongly consider living on the mount for the views. Getting a cab to anywhere on Carson is near impossible on the weekends. And Zone 3 knows how to get the DUI's done, so wouldn't risk driving.

If I was just getting my start from scratch here... I would probably first look at the South Side, regardless of commute. Every neighborhood/town has its own flavor, and I've found nothing in my travels like the 'pittsburgh dive bar around the corner', but that isn't for everyone. Easy access to the airport, many, many, types of bars to hang out at (not just the annoying doucher bars), close by to some pretty decent bike trails along the river, as well as the excellent city parks across the river. It may get a little loud on the weekends, but just focus your search above 22nd or below 15th streets. I love the Southside vibe during the week, but the crowds kind of get annoying on the weekends, especially on Carson.

Looking for a nice 1BR within your budget may be a bit tough in the flats... especially in between rental 'seasons', but do some homework and you can get it done. Your budget would be much more easily done on the mountain.

If it wasn't for your commute, Shadyside or Regent Square could be options, leaning towards the Square. I've lived in Shadyside for 6 years (used to work in Bridgeville, morning drive wasn't terrible) and most of the people that frequent the nightlife nearby here annoy me, but I still love the neighborhood. However both could add at least 20 minutes to the outbound commute depending on time of day.

The worst part of your drive is simply getting out of the city though, but for a single person, living in Moon or Corry would probably ruin this area for you.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchtwenty2 View Post
If I was just getting my start from scratch here... I would probably first look at the South Side, regardless of commute. Every neighborhood/town has its own flavor, and I've found nothing in my travels like the 'pittsburgh dive bar around the corner', but that isn't for everyone. Easy access to the airport, many, many, types of bars to hang out at (not just the annoying doucher bars), close by to some pretty decent bike trails along the river, as well as the excellent city parks across the river. It may get a little loud on the weekends, but just focus your search above 22nd or below 15th streets. I love the Southside vibe during the week, but the crowds kind of get annoying on the weekends, especially on Carson.
Best advice in this thread so far, imho. I also don't think the commute from the South Side to the airport is that bad at all, especially below 15th st.

Quote:
for a single person, living in Moon or Corry would probably ruin this area for you.
Very much agreed on this one.

Last edited by gameguy56; 10-29-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh