Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
We will. I was not directed there by others yet. What do you like about Greesburg?
The downtown is very nice. I don't know a lot about schools and such, but I have always found the area to be quite nice. Maybe someone can be more help and add details about that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Would a subdivision really make kids play more or less outside? It seems it requires a lot of other factors -for example, the kids in question, the parents in question, etc. Which would make a specific subdivision less of a variable, than perhaps the street or very specific neighborhood exactly that a person would be considering.

Seems like the best way is to look at houses you are specifically considering, and specifically look at it's exact location, and see exactly who the particular families and kids are and if they are outside or not every time you visit that said place.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
The problem I see is that some people expect some sort of magic to occur just because it's "a suburb" as if there are no kids who get along in the city or rural areas.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 AM

210 posts, read 471,372 times
If he's going to be working in Greensburg I would say almost anywhere from Murrysville on out would be the easiest commute for you. Oakmont is a fantastic area but traveling over the Hulton bridge during rush hour would just be freaking brutal IMO. I have sat for 30 minutes just trying to cross that bridge. So I would take that into consideration if he's working normal business hours as crossing the bridge would add to his commute time significantly (and you're already talking a 30 minute drive).

You could find equally nice areas closer to Greensburg. I'd look at Murrysville, Irwin, Norwin, Greensburg, Hempfield, and North Huntingdon. Greensburg is outside of Pittsburgh's typical 'rush hour' so there's no reason IMO why you should subject yourself or your husband to rush hour traffic if you don't have to. It's not horrible, but why voluntarily take away quality of life you could spend with you family if you don't have to. Know what I mean?

Good luck and I think you'll find many options that meet your needs!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM

187 posts, read 492,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Would a subdivision really make kids play more or less outside? It seems it requires a lot of other factors -for example, the kids in question, the parents in question, etc. Which would make a specific subdivision less of a variable, than perhaps the street or very specific neighborhood exactly that a person would be considering.

Seems like the best way is to look at houses you are specifically considering, and specifically look at it's exact location, and see exactly who the particular families and kids are and if they are outside or not every time you visit that said place.
Based on our experience, moving every three years or so, is that younger families flee to subdivisions for community support. My brother lives in Wrigleyville in Chicago. His house is situated next to a park. What a great venue for meeting other adults and children, right? Nope. All day long nannies come and go. Being an ex-career woman I am looking for other folks who share similar interests. Not to say that this doesn't exist in the city. I can only base my opinion on my experience.

I agree about visiting the area to see how many people tend to be outside on each given day. I suppose that's the benefit of renting for one year. However, if we find our dream home on days where the outside activity is quieter than usual, it could cause us to question whether it's the right place.

Doing this stuff from the internet is preliminary. It's fun to hear from everyone. I've gotten lots of helpful information.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
The problem I see is that some people expect some sort of magic to occur just because it's "a suburb" as if there are no kids who get along in the city or rural areas.
For us, it's just as much about finding adults to get along with as it is the children. If we want to borrow an egg, have a last minute bbq, or start a football game in the back yard, I wonder if this is poss. in city life.... Do you find that the adults in the city and rural areas socialize with their neighbors?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
If he's going to be working in Greensburg I would say almost anywhere from Murrysville on out would be the easiest commute for you. Oakmont is a fantastic area but traveling over the Hulton bridge during rush hour would just be freaking brutal IMO. I have sat for 30 minutes just trying to cross that bridge. So I would take that into consideration if he's working normal business hours as crossing the bridge would add to his commute time significantly (and you're already talking a 30 minute drive).

You could find equally nice areas closer to Greensburg. I'd look at Murrysville, Irwin, Norwin, Greensburg, Hempfield, and North Huntingdon. Greensburg is outside of Pittsburgh's typical 'rush hour' so there's no reason IMO why you should subject yourself or your husband to rush hour traffic if you don't have to. It's not horrible, but why voluntarily take away quality of life you could spend with you family if you don't have to. Know what I mean?

Good luck and I think you'll find many options that meet your needs!
Good point! He had already poo-pooed that idea too.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
He would no have to cross Hulton Bridge because he would be going the other direction to Greensburg. The commute wouldn't have much traffic, but wouldn't be super short either. My thought of Oakmont was because it is a community that kids can walk to friends homes instead of having parents driving them. This seems to promote kids playing about, but I will say that kids are not scene outside much no matter where it is these days. They are too busy playing on computers and sitting on their cans. Best to get the kids into a sport, then they have to go out and run around.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Do you find that the adults in the city and rural areas socialize with their neighbors?
In Regent Square, which overlaps the City and some inner suburbs, there is definitely a lot of social interaction between the adults. As always, how much a given individual participates is up to them.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM

85 posts, read 123,922 times
Raleigh NC - Kids still go out and play and the weather is better too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh