Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i heart Ft. Worth...

it's the only Downtown area i've been to that you can walk around at any time day/night and feel safe and welcomed....

visit main st, go see the stockyards, hit up some of the bars like they flying saucer, and definitely grab some MEXICAN FOOD!!!! and bring some back to pittsburgh for me please...

forgot to mention, if you're visiting the stockyards, make sure you go to Billy Bob's!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM

98 posts, read 173,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Okay, I just had to say "Dallas". To be honest, it is my least favorite place in all of Texas. I have been to every large city in Texas except San Antonio. Dallas was by far my least favorite. Austin was great.
Really, you like it less than Houston? Austin is nice but it has kind of lost its luster for me. It's too cool for me now, I don't know why but the hipster sort of vibe it has turns me off.

I went to Ft. Worth once for a concert at Bass Hall (quite a nice facility) I was only there about 24 hours so I didn't get to explore but what I saw was very nice. Very walkable where I was.

I too was thinking of it as a Dallas suburb and I was surprised how far from Dallas it was.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Fort Worth has no sports teams. Dallas has them all. You might say Dallas/Ft Worth, but in reality Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Someone tried to compare that to San Diego and Los Angles. Um, they both have sports teams and stand on their own. Fort Worth... lets see, do they root for the Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks or Stars? Heck, I am probably forgetting some. Never heard of Fort Worth Cowboys. Look, I am sure I would like Ft. Worth better. I hated Dallas. The point I am making is Fort Worth really isn't a major city. The population is larger than Pittsburgh, but those type of statistics are not always what they seem. All depends on the size of the city limits. If Fort Worth was a stand alone city with sports teams, then I would just say okay, but I can't.

Believe me, I have no doubt Fort Worth is much better than Dallas. How could it not be?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM

277 posts, read 696,687 times
A city is defined by much more than sports... As I mentioned, FW is home to Texas Moter Speedway, PGA Colonial and TCU. However, it is only a 20 minute train ride to AAC if you care to see the Mavs or the Stars. I also mentioned that Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark are closer to FW than D. BUT, there are a lot more cultural things to do in FW than Dallas... You coming for the Super Bowl and like things other than sports? Check out Sundance Square... Mama Mia at Bass Hall or Evita at Casa Manana.
Kimbell Art Museum, Amon Carter, Modern Art Museum, Museum of Science and History - Dallas has been the big sister for a long time but the tables are turning. Dallas is quickly becoming the city of illegal immagrants. There is a major influx of residents from Cali and Florida moving to FW. We are still building houses here. I am not FW's ambassador but h_curtis you have either never been here or are from Dallas. Fort Worth's downtown rocks and even though Dallas has a larger skyline there is no activity after rush hour unless you want to be accosted by the homeless... FW is safe and clean!

And ESPN picked FW for ESPN The Magazine's Next Party which features A-list celebs and athletes. Kid Rock is performing and Snoop Dog and Nelly are hosting the red carpet. Enjoy!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
gg

Look I don't mean to hit a nerve, but it is what it is. Just because some of NYNY sports teams play in NJ doesn't mean NJ can claim them. Sure there is more to a city than sports teams, but if you don't have any, you are not a major city. I mean even little cities have some sports team. I am sure Ft. Worth is nice, but please, the Super Bowl is in Dallas's Stadium, not Ft. Worth. That is where the Steelers are going. Fans too. Dallas. I hate Dallas and the dumb scoreboard that might come into play at the game, but it is what it is.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The aforementioned Fort Worth Metropolitan Division contains about 2.1 million people, which is just about a third of the population of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Area--the other two-thirds is in the Dallas Metropolitan Division.

Now on the one hand, you can understand why sports teams in the area are named after Dallas--its metro division is roughly twice the size. On the other hand, those of us living in the Pittsburgh Metro Area, with a population of around 2.4 million people, should probably not be talking too much smack about Fort Worth, seeing as how its metro division is only a bit smaller.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The aforementioned Fort Worth Metropolitan Division contains about 2.1 million people, which is just about a third of the population of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Area--the other two-thirds is in the Dallas Metropolitan Division.

Now on the one hand, you can understand why sports teams in the area are named after Dallas--its metro division is roughly twice the size. On the other hand, those of us living in the Pittsburgh Metro Area, with a population of around 2.4 million people, should probably not be talking too much smack about Fort Worth, seeing as how its metro division is only a bit smaller.
Look I am just being a realist. If I lived in Newark NJ, I would pretty much admit I am in a suburb of NYNY. Who cares?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Fort Worth has no sports teams. Dallas has them all. You might say Dallas/Ft Worth, but in reality Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Someone tried to compare that to San Diego and Los Angles. Um, they both have sports teams and stand on their own. Fort Worth... lets see, do they root for the Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks or Stars? Heck, I am probably forgetting some. Never heard of Fort Worth Cowboys. Look, I am sure I would like Ft. Worth better. I hated Dallas. The point I am making is Fort Worth really isn't a major city. The population is larger than Pittsburgh, but those type of statistics are not always what they seem. All depends on the size of the city limits. If Fort Worth was a stand alone city with sports teams, then I would just say okay, but I can't.

Believe me, I have no doubt Fort Worth is much better than Dallas. How could it not be?

So just because Fort Worth doesn't have a major sports team it's not it's own city? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fort Worth is in Tarrant County. Dallas proper is in Dallas County. Two different counties, two different cities, neither a suburb of the other.

There are suburbs of Dallas like someone mentioned before (ie: Richardson, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc, etc) and suburbs of Fort Worth....it being the major city in Tarrant County (ie: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake, Keller, etc, etc, etc)

Fort Worth is NOT a suburb of Dallas.

edited to add:

Quote:
the Super Bowl is in Dallas's Stadium, not Ft. Worth. That is where the Steelers are going. Fans too. Dallas. I hate Dallas and the dumb scoreboard that might come into play at the game, but it is what it is.
Actually the Super Bowl is being played in Cowboys stadium, which is in Arlington, which is a suburb of Fort Worth, which is in Tarrant County.

So glad you don't live here!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Yeah Dallas is Dallas...everybody knows what to expect, but Ft. Worth is one hell of a hidden gem. In many ways I'd say that Ft. Worth is a lot like Pittsburgh in terms of being very down to earth, both Sundance Square and the Stalk Yards are very awsome to see/experience.

It is STOCKYARDS!

There is no "stalking" going on. There is plenty of LIVESTOCK though. Hence the name "STOCKYARDS".

Quote:
It is a suburb of Dallas.
No! It is most certainly NOT a suburb of Dallas. No one, and I mean NO ONE in all of Dallas, Ft Worth or this entire metropolitian region would EVER say that Ft Worth was a suburb of Dallas.

Quote:

Ft Worth IS a "major city". It is NOT a suburb of Dallas or any other city in this entire North Texas region. It has NEVER been considered a suburb of anything. It is a city within itself. That has suburbs of it.

Yes, it would be like comparind San Diego to being a suburb to LA. They are both cities in their own rights. A REAL city does not need a major league city located within their city limits to be considered a real city and not a suburb.

Quote:
Look I don't mean to hit a nerve, but it is what it is. Just because some of NYNY sports teams play in NJ doesn't mean NJ can claim them. Sure there is more to a city than sports teams, but if you don't have any, you are not a major city. I mean even little cities have some sports team. I am sure Ft. Worth is nice, but please, the Super Bowl is in Dallas's Stadium, not Ft. Worth. That is where the Steelers are going. Fans too. Dallas. I hate Dallas and the dumb scoreboard that might come into play at the game, but it is what it is.
Then you obviously do not know jack. We are just trying to help you out so you don't sound so ignorant as you are starting to look like a jackalope. Ft Worth has NEVER EVER been considered a suburb of Dallas and never will. It is a city all on it's own. No one in all of North Texas would EVER consider Ft Worth a suburb of Dallas, EVER! It is a CITY! By every single definition the word is about. So, I guess since LA does not have a pro football team they are not a major city?

Oh, and FYI, the stadium is IN Arlington. NOT Dallas. The Steelers are NOT going to Dallas. They probably will never even be in the city limits of Dallas the entire time they are here. The team who happens to call the stadium IN Arlington home just happens to be named the Dallas Cowboys as that is where they were playing when they first started at the Cotton Bowl IN Dallas. Then they moved to Irving which is a suburb of Dallas. Then a few years ago they moved to the new Cowboys Stadium IN Arlington that is a SUBURB of Ft Worth, the MAJOR city on THAT side of North Texas. They just happened to keep the name Dallas in the team name as that is what most people associated to them. Even when they were playing in Irving their practice field was IN Dallas until it moved to Valley Ranch.

Oh, and in case you did not know.................. Ft Worth had their own major airport. Meachem Field. Dallas had Love Field. Both CITY leaders wanted a large international airport to be a major hub in this part of the country and joined forces to start up Dallas-Ft Worth International Airport and closed their smaller airports. Now, if Ft Worth was not a REAL CITY then the name Ft Worth would not have been used in the naming of the airport for this region. But it IS a city and it rightfully deserves its name on the airport.

Quote:
Look I am just being a realist. If I lived in Newark NJ, I would pretty much admit I am in a suburb of NYNY. Who cares?
Because you are sounding like a jackalope. Ft Worth IS a city. We are trying to save you from flat out embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
So just because Fort Worth doesn't have a major sports team it's not it's own city? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fort Worth is in Tarrant County. Dallas proper is in Dallas County. Two different counties, two different cities, neither a suburb of the other.

There are suburbs of Dallas like someone mentioned before (ie: Richardson, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc, etc) and suburbs of Fort Worth....it being the major city in Tarrant County (ie: Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake, Keller, etc, etc, etc)

Fort Worth is NOT a suburb of Dallas.

edited to add:

Actually the Super Bowl is being played in Cowboys stadium, which is in Arlington, which is a suburb of Fort Worth, which is in Tarrant County.

So glad you don't live here!

If it wasn't so flat out sad it is pretty darn laughable.
No wonder the American students fail geography so bad. They can not even identify major cities in our own country.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM

95 posts, read 256,218 times
Looking to fly in? Try Oklahoma city and drive south 3hours. Huge savings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh