Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Why were some schools CLOSED today? Wow.
Julie
Attached Thumbnails
Oh, Joy!  The Latest Weather Forecast! (Ice Storm)-julie-bologna.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Actually I did. If you don't like to shovel think of this... there is a women up the street that is in her 70's and went through chemo treatments a month ago. I went up there to shovel her driveway and walks and she was out there doing it herself. She beat me to it. If she can do it, I really don't think anyone can complain. I shovel two other people out. Both a little older single women that work a lot.

One of the best things to buy is a cheap plastic shovel with no metal on the bottom. Yep, the cheapest one you can find. They are very light and glide really well. Much better than metal. Very fast to push snow with one. I crush the people with snowblowers and do a much better job.
Last year, my next-door neighbors on either side managed shoveling each other's walks in a surprisingly efficient manner. And when we didn't feel like doing it ourselves, there was a kid who came around who would take however much money we wanted to pay him. I gave him $5 per walk (it was Lawrenceville, not Fox Chapel, so $5 seemed to work), and he got right down to the sidewalk.

Thankfully, I live in an apartment now, so I don't even have to think about shoveling now.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I am GLAD the city of Pittsburgh dodged that bullet!
Well its not missing us here on the East Coast....Seriously all these storms really has me thinking is there really climate change going on here that we keep poo pooing....

BTW there talking about another system for the weekend, damnit just as I come home for the SB...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,896 times
Default You can take your severe and ______ it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
20 bucks says the storm won't happen to the extent the forecasters predict.
Hey it's worse in Dallas than Pittsburgh today despite all the weather hype. !! Anyone see Dan Patrick having his radio show broadcast over FOX Sports in the freezing cold windchill and ice live from DFW ? Now that looks nasty. Watch this eve for a rumble of thunder as that milder air continues to boast temps !

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Anyone look at the radar showing the weather coming here? Looks like a bunch of rain. Weather is sure interesting. In Dallas it looked like ice and all the way up here in Pittsburgh it is going to be all rain. Wish it was snow. Not good for the one or two people on here that ski.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Anyone look at the radar showing the weather coming here? Looks like a bunch of rain. Weather is sure interesting. In Dallas it looked like ice and all the way up here in Pittsburgh it is going to be all rain. Wish it was snow. Not good for the one or two people on here that ski.
During the Superstorm of 1993, Pittsburgh had blizzard conditions while it was raining in Bangor, ME. It's really not that crazy to locations to the southwest of the center of a large storm experience winter weather while areas to the northeast of the center are relatively warm. Low pressure rotates counterclockwise, pulling warm air up in front, and pulling cold air down behind.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,896 times
Almost feel guilty in that thus far this evening all I have had has been light rain,drizzle, fog and mild temps here on Perry Hill. Watching Chicago and anywhere in the plains and midwest get pounded with thundersnow, high winds, and sub zero wind chills. Pittsburgh=easy street

Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Almost feel guilty in that thus far this evening all I have had has been light rain,drizzle, fog and mild temps here on Perry Hill. Watching Chicago and anywhere in the plains and midwest get pounded with thundersnow, high winds, and sub zero wind chills. Pittsburgh=easy street
So true. Pittsburgh really did dodge a bullet on this one. Watching that thundersnow in Chicago was amazing though. But I'm glad we don't have to deal with it. People are still stranded on the roads out there, and emergency crews aren't able to go out to rescue them. Scary.

The OP was whining like Pittsburgh was going to get the worst of this storm, while it turned out that we ended up in the safe zone.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
The OP was whining like Pittsburgh was going to get the worst of this storm, while it turned out that we ended up in the safe zone.
I wasn't whining about getting a bad storm. I was whining that we weren't going to get a foot or two of snow. I'd rather have a snow storm. I ski!

Revisit the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While the rest of the country is bracing for 12' to 24" of snow, Pittsburgh will get an ICE STORM.

Surprise! Surprise! Huh? What else is new?

I'd prefer two feet of snow!.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wasn't whining about getting a bad storm. I was whining that we weren't going to get a foot or two of snow. I'd rather have a snow storm. I ski!

Revisit the OP:
Fair enough. I read your post as a typical "woe is me I live in Pittsburgh" comment, but I get it now.

The negativity of the locals is getting to me. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh