Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 190,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am looking to enroll my daughter into private school, we are building in East Oakmont and do not want to do the public school. Does anyone know about these two private schools? Redeemer or ST Irenaeus? I would love any feedback regarding information and experience.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 AM

142 posts, read 365,685 times
I used to live in Verona, and from my understanding and what I've heard/seen about St. Irenaeus, it's a very good school. I know a few parents who have sent their kids to St. I's and were very pleased.

And as a bonus, their fish frys during lent are awesome!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM25 View Post
I used to live in Verona, and from my understanding and what I've heard/seen about St. Irenaeus, it's a very good school. I know a few parents who have sent their kids to St. I's and were very pleased.

And as a bonus, their fish frys during lent are awesome!
It has been a very long time, but I have heard pretty good things about St. Irenaeus. East Oakmont goes to the Plum School District, but you probably already knew that.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
I went to Oakmont back when it was rated as one of our top public school systems. I think it was 9th grade when the kids from Saint Irenaeus started with us. We thought they were about a year more advanced than we were. Except they said god damn a lot.

If Redeemer is the Lutheran church at 13th Street I have no idea. They shouldn't have been permitted to locate there.

Last edited by PeterRabbit; 01-22-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I went to Oakmont back when it was rated as one of our top public school systems. I think it was 9th grade when the kids from Saint Irenaeus started with us. We thought they were about a year more advanced than we were. Except they said god damn a lot.

If Redeemer is the Lutheran church at 13th Street I have no idea. They shouldn't have been permitted to locate there.
The 13th Street location was owned by that church for many years when that old house was there back in the day. That home was rented, not owned by the people who lived there, so I don't think there was any stopping that church. Better that church is there than another Favo apartment building.

I probably know you. Oakmont is a small town.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for your input!! I was leaning towards St. I because of the low student ratio.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM

To Peter Rabbit.. you made me laugh about the god damn thing.. lol lo It is funny what we remember about school!! lol lol

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
St. Irenaeus school is in jeopardy of closing. There are hardly any students and in fact both 5th and 6th grade are combined and 7th and 8th are combined. Basically you are paying to send your child to a private school that operates like little house on the prairie. Other schools to consider are St. Joseph in Verona or Mary Queen of Apostles (westmoreland county) but nearby east oakmont. MQA has lots of funding and multiple school activities including robotics and c-mites. St. joseph has great teachers, offer challenging courses, and excels at band and sports.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,483 times
Clarification...St.Irenaeus School is not in danger of closing. It is a small school that provides a phenomenal education for students and families who prefer a smaller setting rather than having their child be ln a class of 20 or more students. The best a prospective family needs to do is visit a school and make their own decision. Come and see us.... You will see why we are special.....

Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,483 times
Smile Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan28 View Post
St. Irenaeus school is in jeopardy of closing. There are hardly any students and in fact both 5th and 6th grade are combined and 7th and 8th are combined. Basically you are paying to send your child to a private school that operates like little house on the prairie. Other schools to consider are St. Joseph in Verona or Mary Queen of Apostles (westmoreland county) but nearby east oakmont. MQA has lots of funding and multiple school activities including robotics and c-mites. St. joseph has great teachers, offer challenging courses, and excels at band and sports.
St. Irenaeus provides all the same items and evenmore, listed by Swan28... We have a robotics programs for over 6 years now, offer c-mites, have phenomenal faculty (most having their masters Degrees), we offer band and basketball ( our JV boys are headed for the playoffs with only one loss this season!)and we have an after school exercise program. Regarding funding , we are one of the top two in the Diocese for amount of funding available. I need to clarify all of this, because as Principal, it is unfortunate that information goes across the internet that is in accurate.
For the past 3 years our 8th grade took First and Second place in Junior Achievement' s Piitsburgh's Future Now and have worked with PPG , Marc Advertising and the Pittsburgh Police as part of this JA program. we currently have 6 students who took First and Second Place in the Elks Drug Awareness Competition. I could go on with many other achievements....having graduates who are outstanding in their high school and college work speaks volumes also.
We gladly welcome visitors.... You will be glad you took the time to come and visit......we wish you peace.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh