Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 20,255 times

Advertisements

My husband and 2 small girls are relocating to the suburbs of S. Pittsburgh as my husband will be doing some work in N. VA. Yes I know this will be a commute but we are not interested in living in VA. I am looking for a family friendly area with great schools. I dont want to be out in the country, I want to be close to stores. I am coming from Grosse Pointe Michigan if anyone is familiar with that area, thats what Im looking for. Walkability, parks, upper middle to upper class. I like older homes with character that have been remodeled with todays conveniences and I also like newer homes. Its more about the neighborhood, community feel. Id love to have a small shopping district to walk to (cafes and restaurants, boutiques) if possible but also close to good restaurants and grocery stores and big box places. So far Im liking My. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair and Jefferson Hills - but can you recommend me any others, or ones to stay away from? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,574,051 times
Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Bridgeville.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,543,503 times
Stick with Mt Lebanon - it's the closest fit to what you are looking for.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM

32,622 posts, read 77,712,896 times
Am I to understand that he'll only be working in Northern Virginia on occasion? Splitting your time between two areas that are roughly four hours apart would really grate on your husband's nerves in terms of commuting (albeit you don't start to hit much heavy traffic until around Frederick, MD), and with fuel prices escalating now to near $4/gallon with no end in sight I'd be very leery about hemming yourselves in on that front as well.

I moved here in late-2010 from NoVA myself and would never move back due to the congestion, cost-of-living, pretentious/materialistic people (overall---not everyone was that way), etc. Pittsburgh offers a lot of those "older homes with character" at an affordable price point for the middle-class. A "home with character" in a place like Vienna or Falls Church in NoVA would fetch $550,000+. In the South Hills 'burbs you could find places like that with minimal (if any) cosmetic updating required for $100,000-$150,000.

If you don't mind my asking why the fixation upon Pittsburgh's southern suburbs? If you wanted to be closer to your husband's employment concerns would Winchester, VA work? It's about three hours southeast of Pittsburgh and about an hour from the NoVA employment hubs, yet it has a very laid-back feel with a Downtown pedestrian mall, quaint historic mansions, shade trees, etc. It's growing very rapidly with people looking to "escape" NoVA and has just about every big-box store/chain restaurant imaginable now (or in the planning stages).

I would think Mt. Lebanon would be your best bet in the South Hills and would be closest to what you've been acclimated to in Grosse Pointe. I wouldn't bother with Upper St. Clair (mostly newer homes without much of a walkable town center) or Bridgeville (very small). Dormont may work as well---the homes are generally smaller than those in Mt. Lebanon and are closer together.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM

439 posts, read 1,476,586 times
I agree with Mt Lebo.

What do you consider newer homes? There really isn't much new home construction in USC. Most of the homes are probably over 20 years old if not 30. There are many parks to walk to in most USC neighborhoods, but no shopping to walk to. You will have to be closer to the city for walkable shopping.

There is quite a bit of close shopping to USC as south hills village and the galleria are right by but getting there would require a car.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM

440 posts, read 550,601 times
Pittsburgh in general is not a walkable or public transportation city ( some will argue this ) . Admittingly I do nto know these burbs too well, however most of this area (western pa) is based on car travel. Parks and playgrounds are a exception however shopping and corner cafes are few and far between. (There are excpetions but as a whole you will need a car to travel)

Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

264 posts, read 493,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Pittsburgh in general is not a walkable or public transportation city ( some will argue this ) . Admittingly I do nto know these burbs too well, however most of this area (western pa) is based on car travel. Parks and playgrounds are a exception however shopping and corner cafes are few and far between. (There are excpetions but as a whole you will need a car to travel)
Mt. Lebanon has all of this, and is a short drive or T ride to the big box stores of South Hills Village. Sounds like a perfect place for the OP.

Not sure how far you are from Lebo, but their uptown section along Washington Road is full of little shops and nice corner cafes. Might be worth a Saturday afternoon T ride to stroll around if that's the kind of thing you like.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,255 times
One of the most important things to me is the school system. So from what I am learning Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair are great places to live, but taxes are very high. To get a great school system with lower taxes I could do Peters Twp (McMurray and Venita)? Is this correct? I guess by Walkable I meant walk to parks, or super safe areas my kids can walk to their friends houses, not necessarily walk to a corner cafe, although that would be nice. How about conveniences in Peters? A lot of shopping (grocery clothing and otherwise?) nearby? Restaurants? I think Mt. Lebo sounds like what I am used to but I am keeping my options open and do like new homes too. I keep reading war posts on who is more snotty Mt. Lebo or Peters, so please dont get into that here, I dont care. I just want to know about conveniences, quality of living, and yes Im a stay at home mom so I want to be in an area with other moms who will welcome me and my kids as well. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,574,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPittsburghSuburbsQ View Post
One of the most important things to me is the school system. So from what I am learning Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair are great places to live, but taxes are very high. To get a great school system with lower taxes I could do Peters Twp (McMurray and Venita)? Is this correct? I guess by Walkable I meant walk to parks, or super safe areas my kids can walk to their friends houses, not necessarily walk to a corner cafe, although that would be nice. How about conveniences in Peters? A lot of shopping (grocery clothing and otherwise?) nearby? Restaurants? I think Mt. Lebo sounds like what I am used to but I am keeping my options open and do like new homes too. I keep reading war posts on who is more snotty Mt. Lebo or Peters, so please dont get into that here, I dont care. I just want to know about conveniences, quality of living, and yes Im a stay at home mom so I want to be in an area with other moms who will welcome me and my kids as well. Thanks!
The taxes in Mt. Lebo are not that high, and the bang you get for your buck is worth it.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 AM

27 posts, read 50,477 times
If you're looking for great schools, I'd put Mt Lebanon and Upper St. Clair at the top of the list.
If you're looking for lower taxes, then look in Peters.
If you're looking for someplace you can literally walk from your house to the park: Mt. Lebanon.
If you're looking for someplace to drive from your house to the park: they're all good.
If you're looking to literally walk from your house to an upscale store: Mt. Lebanon.
If you're looking to drive to the store: they're all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh