Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh lefts are okay, but NOT when you are in a four lane road. Never wave anyone on if you have a lane to the right of you. That lane might have someone in it and then you will have a wreck because you waved them through. I sometimes wave someone through if they have a line of cars behind them and so do I. It can help in moving traffic alone in the opposing direction, which is usually good for all.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Let's talk about the fact that no one uses turn signals. That's not just here, turn signal use is probably better here than in most places, sadly. It just drives me NUTS when I see someone change lanes or actually turn without a signal. I always signal, I almost feel as if I can't move my vehicle without using a signal.

I'm VERY aggressive, I admittedly drive very fast, I do not sit in one lane, etc. etc. I use my horn A LOT.

Tonight, coming home on the Parkway East, I was in traffic before the tunnel. *shock* Anyway, some ghetto piece of worthless trash nearly rear ended me when traffic was slowing around Bates. Then, he decides to just bounce around in every lane for no reason. I switch lanes every night in traffic--but I know what lane to be in and when. As traffic progressed, this fine piece of trash was ahead of me and decided to switch into my lane with NO turn signal. I, of course, laid on the horn. Use a signal, I probably won't honk, don't signal, you need to return to consciousness and realize you're operating a multi-ton piece of equipment. He's giving me the "hands up" and whatnot and I'm mouthing, "TURN SIGNAL." He then demonstrates his level of trashiness and stupidity and hangs his torso out the driver side window screaming, "That's f***** up." several times. What's f***** up is the fact that people like this moron guaranteed had NO idea as to why I blew the horn.

Since WHEN is commonplace to NOT signal when you move your vehicle? That, may, be my BIGGEST pet peeve even more than slow people in the left lane, bad yielding, etc.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Let's talk about the fact that no one uses turn signals. That's not just here, turn signal use is probably better here than in most places, sadly. It just drives me NUTS when I see someone change lanes or actually turn without a signal. I always signal, I almost feel as if I can't move my vehicle without using a signal.

I'm VERY aggressive, I admittedly drive very fast, I do not sit in one lane, etc. etc. I use my horn A LOT.

Tonight, coming home on the Parkway East, I was in traffic before the tunnel. *shock* Anyway, some ghetto piece of worthless trash nearly rear ended me when traffic was slowing around Bates. Then, he decides to just bounce around in every lane for no reason. I switch lanes every night in traffic--but I know what lane to be in and when. As traffic progressed, this fine piece of trash was ahead of me and decided to switch into my lane with NO turn signal. I, of course, laid on the horn. Use a signal, I probably won't honk, don't signal, you need to return to consciousness and realize you're operating a multi-ton piece of equipment. He's giving me the "hands up" and whatnot and I'm mouthing, "TURN SIGNAL." He then demonstrates his level of trashiness and stupidity and hangs his torso out the driver side window screaming, "That's f***** up." several times. What's f***** up is the fact that people like this moron guaranteed had NO idea as to why I blew the horn.

Since WHEN is commonplace to NOT signal when you move your vehicle? That, may, be my BIGGEST pet peeve even more than slow people in the left lane, bad yielding, etc.
I totally agree. Well, okay, I don't typically lay on the horn when someone simply doesn't signal, has to be more egregious than that, but I do use it, and I agree with the whole signaling sentiment.

This morning some guy was in the Right Turn Only lane on the 6th Street Bridge, and we had a green arrow. He wasn't moving. I blipped the horn slightly. He pulled up slightly. Probably had no idea why I was honking. He was going STRAIGHT of course. It clearly says Right Lane Must Turn Right on the sign! The car in the other lane didn't honk or anything, just let him in.

Sometimes people are too nice.

You know, that actually is something that irks me a LOT. I don't think it's at all unique to this area, but you know, if you get in the wrong lane, you screwed up. You roll with it. You don't for example get into the left turn only lane, then, when the light gets a green arrow, hold everyone behind you up because it turns out you actually need to go straight. (I've experienced this before.) No dammit, you turn left and deal with it. You can fix it. It's not that hard. Or if it is that hard, you probably shouldn't be driving! The guy in front of me this morning, assuming he actually realized his mistake instead of didn't notice at all, should have turned right.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,133 times
Pittsburghers tend to be fairly polite when driving. There are always a few jag-offs, but you get that everywhere. I have a working theory that because of the annoying layout of our city roads, Pittsburghers are used to other people being lost and confused and making sudden turns or random U-turns, so they are nicer out of sympathy and necessity.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Anyway, some ghetto piece of worthless trash...
I thought you were going to complain about the ones who drive super slow as if they have nowhere to go. I was going north on 28 tonight and one of these cars was in the left lane driving way too slow. I couldn't pass on the right because there was an 18 wheeler ahead. I flashed my lights at the junk car in front of me, but the fool stayed in the left lane. When we got near the route 8 ramp, it looked like he was continuing straight on route 28. I took the ramp on the left and then he suddenly decided that he wanted to go north on 8 and blows his horn like I'm in his way because I''m already on the ramp and he has to slow or stop his car to take the ramp because he almost passed it up! My car is lightening fast. Seriously. It is. I was probably halfway down route 8 before he got off the ramp bridge.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
This topic has been done here so many times I lost count. They all reach the same conclusions and all go downhill at one point. I'm closing this before it turns ugly.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh