Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

I read with great interest this morning an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that profiled the decline in the city's median age from 35.5 in 2000 to 33.2 in 2010, a drop of over 2 years over the past decade.

Census finds Pittsburgh is growing younger

The article references several college students who moved here from other areas and who have become enamored by the city to the extent where they now hope to establish themselves here long-term.

Considering in 2000 Allegheny County was the second-"grayest" county in the nation this is much-welcomed news. A county with a rapidly-growing population of 20-somethings is a county that is becoming stabilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Just confirming what we knew all along...were now at the point where inward migration along with birth are off setting deaths and retirement out migration

Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Well, looks like the population's not the only thing that dropped after all!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 AM

94 posts, read 134,277 times
Not really surprising considering that the census counts college students for the city where they go to school and college enrollment has been increasing pretty much every year while the elderly are moving away to the Sun Belt or dying.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Good news! Of course, I wish I was getting younger, lol.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksburg Stillers View Post
Not really surprising considering that the census counts college students for the city where they go to school and college enrollment has been increasing pretty much every year while the elderly are moving away to the Sun Belt or dying.
I've got to think this has less to do with college students and more to do with the latter. I also think there have been many young people/couples in their late 20s through early 40s who have decided to stay or move back here. The grass is not always greener elsewhere, as I found when I moved away for a few years.

Also, with the number of young people staying, there seems to be a big bump in births going on right now. Not only do we see a lot of friends having babies, but local delivery wards have been operating at full tilt lately (what we were told when our daughter was born in March). Perhaps this will further draw down the average at the next census.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I've got to think this has less to do with college students and more to do with the latter. I also think there have been many young people/couples in their late 20s through early 40s who have decided to stay or move back here. The grass is not always greener elsewhere, as I found when I moved away for a few years.

Also, with the number of young people staying, there seems to be a big bump in births going on right now. Not only do we see a lot of friends having babies, but local delivery wards have been operating at full tilt lately (what we were told when our daughter was born in March). Perhaps this will further draw down the average at the next census.
That makes sense about the maternity wards. People in their 20's and 30's aren't leaving Pittsburgh at anywhere near the rate now they did even 10 years ago and more students who are coming here from other areas for school are staying after school.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Now we just need to figure out a way to keep the young families in the city when their kids hit school age.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Now we just need to figure out a way to keep the young families in the city when their kids hit school age.
Dissolve PPS, convert all its schools to self-governing charters, and transfer its remaining functions, including authority to issue new charters, to Allegheny Intermediate Unit, providing a mechanism for all other school districts in Allegheny Co to follow the same course after referenda.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Dissolve PPS, convert all its schools to self-governing charters, and transfer its remaining functions, including authority to issue new charters, to Allegheny Intermediate Unit, providing a mechanism for all other school districts in Allegheny Co to follow the same course after referenda.
Just curious, does the city or its citizens have the power to do this or would we need Harrisburg's approval? Has such a proposal been attempted anywhere in the country, even on a small scale.

Personally, I haven't looked at it in-depth, but my inclination is that PPS is making some progress, especially at the lower levels. The hope is obviously that as the involved, concerned parents and students age, they will have an influence on improving the high schools.

To the earlier point, I live in the city and have a young family. We have no intention of leaving the city or not utilizing PPS when my kid(s) are school age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh