Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with Pittsburgh but we are taking serious consideration to moving there. I've been looking at some houses and they are as low as 25k, 40k, 50k. Are these real prices? You can't even buy a studio where I live for that price. What the hell am I doing wasting time in NJ?

Please tell me about these neighborhoods because these are the ones where the homes are located.

East Hills
South Side Slopes
Troy Hill
Allentown
Sheradan
Overbrook
Braddock - I know about Braddock but some of these homes look okay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'm not familiar with Pittsburgh but we are taking serious consideration to moving there. I've been looking at some houses and they are as low as 25k, 40k, 50k. Are these real prices? You can't even buy a studio where I live for that price. What the hell am I doing wasting time in NJ?

Please tell me about these neighborhoods because these are the ones where the homes are located.

East Hills
South Side Slopes
Troy Hill
Allentown
Sheradan
Overbrook
I saw a home in Camden, NJ for $58K. Move there.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,257 times
Those prices are real, but they are that price for a reason.

I can tell you that Braddock and East Hills are dead, and have been for years. I'm sure other here give you more info about each town.

Last edited by stburr91; 04-23-2011 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I saw a home in Camden, NJ for $58K. Move there.
Camden has VERY high crime and if these neighborhoods are the same then I know why they are expensive.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Sheraden has been in pretty steep decline, and Allentown is really weak as well. "South Side Slopes" could well be a euphemysm for Allentown, that seems to be a low price for a real southside house.

People I know who owned in Sheraden sold in the 2000's for less than they bought in the 80s.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
If there is something really low priced in Allentown, it's in an area that you don't want to live. No idea what South Side Slopes is. Oh - wikipedia says it's in Pittsburgh South Side Slopes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

East Hills
South Side Slopes
Troy Hill
Allentown
Sheradan
Overbrook
The prices are definitely real, but the neighborhoods suck.

The only one that's ok is the SS Slopes, but I bet if it's that cheap it's some realtor trying to sell something in Arlington or some other crappy place and calling it the SS Slopes.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,693 times
Those prices are legit. Those neighborhoods aren't that great, although Troy Hill and Overbrook aren't terrible. I'd focus on them. Also, realize you will be in Pittsburgh city sd. Crime isn't terrible in troy hill or Overbrook, but these areas aren't exactly usc or cranberry either. For $50k you can find better options, like castle shannon, crafton, Carnegie, green tree, white oak, brentwood, west mifflin, reserve twp, sharpsburg. Also, check out Baldwin and Ross...might get lucky and find an older home needing some TLC in that range.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,241 times
It really depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood and what you feel comfortable with in terms of "safety."

Of those neighborhoods, I would say that Overbook is the "safest," but it's also among the most unwalkable and farthest from the city's core. Re: A place like Braddock...I'm a supporter of Braddock's attempted reinvigoration, but it's probably not a place you want to live without seeing it. There aren't many places as battered as Braddock in the entire country -- a fact that the mayor acknowledges.

I think Troy Hill is a great combination of relative convenience, low prices, and (again, relative) safety. If you are interested in easy access to cultural amenities, nightlife, and a tight-knit community, Troy Hill would be "better" than any of the suburbs Love2Golf suggests.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
The prices are real.

Southside Slopes, Overbrook and Troy Hill are the one areas you listed that I would recommend considering.

The other areas are too dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh