Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 07:50 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times

Advertisements

I don't hate it. If government offers something worthwhile at a reasonable price, I'd use it. I just don't want to subsidize parasites anymore. I don't want to pay YOUR way plus mine.

You want it, you pay for it.

It's coming. You just can't see it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
I think we can all see it. And smell it.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I don't hate it. If government offers something worthwhile at a reasonable price, I'd use it. I just don't want to subsidize parasites anymore. I don't want to pay YOUR way plus mine.

You want it, you pay for it.

It's coming. You just can't see it yet.
Are you in favor of ending the subsidization of public roads, especially in rural areas? As I pointed out before, those are even more "parasitic" than transit.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Are you in favor of ending the subsidization of public roads, especially in rural areas? As I pointed out before, those are even more "parasitic" than transit.
Sounds like a good idea.

Actually, Goinback is a big rider of the parasitic transit.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
The beauty of something like transit is, the transit riders pay for the services. Statists want non-riders to pay via state-funding.
It is very rare for a transit system that covers a wide area to exist without some state subsidies else the cost to any individual user would be so high no one could afford to use the system. To across the board dismiss transit systems as a statist's wet dream is misguided.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Trying to pay for every government good or service through user fees would end up wasting a large amount of resources just in collection. And it would lead to the inefficient underprovision of government goods and services due to the fact that often many of the benefits take the form of positive externalities. And these problems would be particularly acute with capital investments (things like education, infrastructure, and so on), where many of the benefits will accrue only in the future.

So that's a really terrible idea.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM

It's a 'terrible idea' to those who consume government services, I'm sure, but not to those of us who would like a choice of being a consumer and a payer for this stuff.

Public transit is something that definitely should be paid for by users of public transit. Road taxes are paid for in a variety of ways, as I understand it, including license fees and gas taxes. Gas taxes and the like should not be used to pay transit company pensions.

The feds also throw a lot of pork at the states with transportation money. I'd personally rather the taxes were at the state and local level for this than at the federal level.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
It's a 'terrible idea' to those who consume government services, I'm sure, but not to those of us who would like a choice of being a consumer and a payer for this stuff.
You're the direct or indirect beneficiary of thousands of government programs every day. Do you really want to be spending your whole day trying to make micropayments for all that?

Quote:
Public transit is something that definitely should be paid for by users of public transit.
Public transit creates large positive externalities, meaning benefits that accrue to non-riders. If you try to finance public transit entirely out of fares, you will end up providing far less than the optimal service levels, thereby losing the opportunity to get a large portion of these positive externalities.

Quote:
Road taxes are paid for in a variety of ways, as I understand it, including license fees and gas taxes.
Of course those aren't user fees either. They don't directly track individual road usage, and the funds are reallocated between different users, and not returned in a remotely proportionate way. Moreover, in Pennsylvania fuel is exempt from sales taxes, which is economically equivalent to a funding transfer from the general account. Finally, road users are one of the chief third-party beneficiaries of transit.

Given this system, there is really nothing untoward about Allegheny County getting a portion of the transportation taxes and fees it pays to the state in the form of transit funding. Of course what would be ideal for Allegheny County is getting complete control of those revenues, including the ability to replace them with alternatives, instead of having the state take so much of them for spending elsewhere.

Quote:
The feds also throw a lot of pork at the states with transportation money. I'd personally rather the taxes were at the state and local level for this than at the federal level.
It certainly would be better for Allegheny County if it were all devolved down to that level. Of course all the representatives of the rural areas who get federal and state wealth transfers from large urban areas via the status quo system will fight like heck to prevent that from happening.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
You're the direct or indirect beneficiary of thousands of government programs every day.
Wrong. When cost shifting happens, I'm the person they're shifted too, in every instance. I'm sick of it. I want the freeloaders to pay their own way.

Quote:
If you try to finance public transit entirely out of fares, you will end up providing far less than the optimal service levels, thereby losing the opportunity to get a large portion of these positive externalities.
You're not even getting the freeloaders to pay fares anymore. I've personally witnessed people getting on the bus with no money and no pass and asking the driver 'hey man, can I ride?'. The driver waves them onto the bus. Costs successfully shifted for that guy. The only other 'positive externality' of cost shifting is less traffic going downtown. If a transit route can't support itself via fares then there isn't that much traffic saved. Period.

Why are you so anti-road? Do you not have a car? Or what?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM

80 posts, read 111,230 times
Quote:
Why are you so anti-road? Do you not have a car? Or what?
The much better question is: Why are you so anti-transit? Do you not care about our regional economy or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh