Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

101 posts, read 218,513 times

Advertisements

Should Pittsburgh tax non-residents who work in the city?

Hell NO!

How about I tell Pittsburgh and Greensburg I'll pay ONE of them the % of my gross income I'm currently taxed for wage tax and they can fight it out on who gets it? Tax the renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Only if we are allowed to vote those stupid Dems out of office.
Sounds like a bargain - merge, then vote.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
Tax the renters.
Ooohh. I love it when they get all macho.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Sounds like a bargain - merge, then vote.
Yeah, like I want all those legacy costs tacked on to my township taxes. The city workers would love that.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM

398 posts, read 702,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Personally, I believe the reason people say we are over taxed is what we actually get from our tax dollars. Awful schools, roads and sidewalks that look post-war, corrupt police, fire departments who rely on volunteers, laughable transportation, and trash filled landscapes. The question for isn't why are taxes high (because comparatively they aren't horrid) but it's what do our taxes actually do?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
If you're going to compare city residents and suburban residents, then you should compare those with the same income. I think people working in the city that are in the same income brackets spend the same amount in the city on average, but those in the city are taxed on top of it.

I don't think that the city should tax non-residents out of some misguided attempt at redistributing wealth. But I do think it could be justified when you consider infrastructure costs.
If you're not arguing it out of some misguided attempt at redistributing wealth, than the proper comparison actually isn't like incomes. If it's a question of "infrastructure costs", the question is whether the suburban resident is paying their share of infrastructure costs, which was Burghgirl17's argument. It doesn't matter that she would be paying more in the city, merely that she's paying enough to cover her usage of Pittsburgh roads, water, sewer, police and fire protection, etc., and it's actually the poor city residents who aren't paying their fair share. If you think that the suburbanite should be covering them and the poorer residents of Pittsburgh's share and the poorer residents of her own municipality... then you don't get to claim your motivation isn't redistribution.

I've long wondered why myself that I'm paying roughly 3.5% of my income in wage taxes because I live and work in the city while someone living in Cranberry Township who works in the city pays nothing. Why not reduce it to 1.75% and then make it a universal tax on ALL who work within the city boundaries, regardless of their residency?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Note I do not support this:
But, wouldnt the easiest way to implement a so called commuter tax in a way to have significant intake to charge all commuters a 3% wage tax (which city residents pay), then allow a deduction of whatever the percentage they pay to their own locality.
Interesting idea. That would result in a ton of income to the city, and a ton of lost income to commuters, though. Probably going beyond how much most of them use the city services and roads, so it could only be justified if you think they owe Pittsburgh something extra just for having a job in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
This is a tiring subject. Pittsburgh always wants more money because the people it employs (mayor, city council) simply don't know how to grow a tax base and can't balance a budget. Many many cities exist without taxing commuters. Some of the largest and fastest growing cities in the US don't tax commuters - yet they manage. Of course you'll get 1,000 excuses why Pittsburgh can't manage without a commuter tax...
Pittsburgh searching for money can be a tiring subject; but I've never heard of or read about anybody suggesting a commuter tax.

Comparisons to other cities are not apples to apples either, since many other cities are larger in size and population, which means they contain a greater proportion of the metro area population. Pittsburgh has to serve a relatively large population of people relative to the size of its tax base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Exactly.
and it's actually the poor city residents who aren't paying their fair share. If you think that the suburbanite should be covering them and the poorer residents of Pittsburgh's share and the poorer residents of her own municipality... then you don't get to claim your motivation isn't redistribution
How are the poorer residents not paying their fair share? Pittsburgh has a flat 3% tax rate, everyone with an income has to pay it, on top of the $52 tax.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

398 posts, read 702,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
How are the poorer residents not paying their fair share? Pittsburgh has a flat 3% tax rate, everyone with an income has to pay it, on top of the $52 tax.
They're not covering their infrastructure costs.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
All poor people should be rounded up and euthanized, that should fix it....

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:

I've long wondered why myself that I'm paying roughly 3.5% of my income in wage taxes because I live and work in the city while someone living in Cranberry Township who works in the city pays nothing. Why not reduce it to 1.75% and then make it a universal tax on ALL who work within the city boundaries, regardless of their residency?
Because even LESS people will work in the city.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
I don't see how that is related to taxing commuters' income. Poor suburbanites and poor commuters would both not be paying their infrastructure costs. If we're talking about a 3% tax on residents, and a flat dollar amount tax on non-residents then that argument might make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh