Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

Interesting new place coming to the Northside: http:// Beyond bar food on East Ohio Street on the North Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:47 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
From Crested Duck's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/crestedduck

Quote:
I am announcing that The Crested Duck will be closing as of January 1. My family and employees humbly thank you for your support and loyalty over the years - from our start at the Farmers@Firehouse Market to our time at the Pittsburgh Public Market to our restaurant in Beechview.

I am pleased to say at the start of the new year I will be the chef de cuisine at Root 174 in Regent Square thanks to the amazing Chef Keith Fuller. I will also continue to produce charcuterie in the city, more on that in the coming months.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From Crested Duck's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/crestedduck
Guess I'd better hurry up and try the place before it closes!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
That is extremely disapointing... one of the best restaurants in the city.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
I read this morning that he will continue to run the charcuterie business out of the basement of the new Pork & Beans that Keith Fuller and Richard DeShantz are opening downtown, so there is some silver lining to Crested Duck closing.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Restaurant News: New Chef Announced at Root 174 - The 412 - November 2015

Crested Duck is a great place. Really is a shame but a good move for him.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:01 AM

373 posts, read 378,128 times
Finally got around to Butterjoint on my unofficial 'Burger Tour'. Excellent burger there. I ordered the 'extra fancy burger of the day' which was actually less interesting than usual (an onion ring and aioli - and bacon is the 'extra') and it was wonderful. And their fries are great too, though they look like the leftovers at the bottom of a fast food bag. Anyway, right up there with Benjamin's and Bar Marco.

(Interestingly, my five favorite burgers in Pittsburgh come from places whose name starts with B... WEIRD MAN.)

Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
What a shame about Crested Duck. The last time I was in Beechview it looked like it needed all the help it could get. This will be a big blow to their business district.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What a shame about Crested Duck. The last time I was in Beechview it looked like it needed all the help it could get. This will be a big blow to their business district.
Casta Rasta is basically gone too, although it was pretty far removed from the other businesses. I know they have a coffee shop and a pizza place and the like, but there's not really much reason any longer for those outside the neighborhood to travel there.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Casta Rasta is basically gone too, although it was pretty far removed from the other businesses. I know they have a coffee shop and a pizza place and the like, but there's not really much reason any longer for those outside the neighborhood to travel there.
Casa Rasta was done in by their East Liberty move. Las Palmas has opened there but I haven't tried it. Las Palmas' taco stand is still right there and brings in good crowds along with the coffee shop and El Milagro, one of if not the best Mexican in town. Slice is some of the best pizza in the city.

More importantly, three or four of those key buildings next to and across from Crested Duck just went to sheriff sale October 30 and can now begin the process of having their liens cleared. They have been in purgatory for nearly a decade as the city tried to serve Bernardo Katz with notice of the sale. Several developers have plans in the works for two of the key buildings on the corners (including rumored restaurants) and one of the larger apartment buildings nearer to the Fallowfield stop is being renovated by another developer. Getting those eyesores fixed up will go a long way (along with the renovation of the building that houses Brew on Broadway).

Crested Duck's building is also nicely fixed up; it won't be just sitting there empty if I had to guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh