Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times

Advertisements

Yesteray, while The Batman was ruining my commute, I noticed just how much space parked cares take up on Fifth and Forbes in uptown. Removing parking on those streets could easily allow for another lane or two to be added along these roads, which are quite prone to rush hour traffic. Hopefully the commission studying rapid bus transit between downtown and Oakland will come to a similar conclusion and add a bus lane.

It was so slow that people were deboarding the bus and walking. I see this happen fairly often, but yesterday more than half of the bus got off before we even got to Pride. No doubt most of them were in for a walk of a mile or more to transfer downtown. I wouldn't be surprised if they got there faster than the bus did, to be honest. It was to the point that the bus driver actually shut the engine off. The way it is set up now, we're inconveniencing thousands and thousands of people each day so that maybe a few hundred at most are able to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Parking has a powerful voice in local governments (for highly dubious reasons), but for what it is worth I agree with you, and I actually suspect the BRT study will recommend taking two full lanes (maybe both on one street, or one on each).

Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
I used to take a bus through Uptown every so often. I notice two things, a number of people take the bus into town after parking on a side street, because of the free downtown zone, and two, there are way too many stops in Uptown.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I used to take a bus through Uptown every so often. I notice two things, a number of people take the bus into town after parking on a side street, because of the free downtown zone, and two, there are way too many stops in Uptown.
I might notice the abundance of stops if the bus was moving.

You're right that lots of people do use Uptown as a make shift park 'n ride. There are plenty of discounted parking lots and side streets that they could use instead. A few hundred cars getting a parking space is not worth delaying thousands and thousands of other drivers and bus riders.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm also sure the BRT study will recommend fewer stops.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm also sure the BRT study will recommend fewer stops.

I understand that the trend is to have 50 meetings and to do a study before making a decision. However, I do think that this should be common sense. I would think that someone inside PAT, whether it is a driver or an administrator or both should look overy evey schedule and be able to make suggestions about this kind of stuff. There has to be someone who has the experience to make these tough calls without ordering a study.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,575,466 times
Can we get rid of parking on beechwood between 376 and the waterfront too? thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Parking has a powerful voice in local governments (for highly dubious reasons), but for what it is worth I agree with you, and I actually suspect the BRT study will recommend taking two full lanes (maybe both on one street, or one on each).
parking is also a useful way to buffer pedestrians from street traffic so they don't feel like they are walking on the side of a highway...BRT notwithstanding. I tend to like the idea of two lanes on one street with center island platforms but this would require buses to run in opposite lanes than normal and might be too expensive versus curbside pickup. we shall see.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Can we get rid of parking on beechwood between 376 and the waterfront too? thanks.

That would make way too much sense.

Most of those houses have driveways too so parking really isn't needed. However, backing out would be a nightmare.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I understand that the trend is to have 50 meetings and to do a study before making a decision. However, I do think that this should be common sense. I would think that someone inside PAT, whether it is a driver or an administrator or both should look overy evey schedule and be able to make suggestions about this kind of stuff. There has to be someone who has the experience to make these tough calls without ordering a study.
That's actually been done, although they hired outside consultants to do it. For what they called The Transit Development Plan, they went route by route and made recommendations, and in fact many of those recommendations have been implemented.

In this case, they recommended converting these to what they called "Rapid Bus" routes, which was a phaseable plan, the first phases of which would include simple things like cutting the number of stops. They may well just do that, but it appears they are using this money (most of which is federal) to build the case for upgrading the service on this route much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: