Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2dancers View Post
My husband, my two daughters and I are going to be relocating to Pittsburgh and we are looking into enrolling our girls into the Ellis School. What near by cities and neighbourhoods would you recommend that were kid friendly and near Ellis??
Squirrel Hill is the nice neighborhood nearby with the most children and there are a lot of nice homes up there as well.

Point Breeze and Shadyside are fine neighborhoods too, but they have a lot fewer young people around.

If you want to live in a suburban community, Fox Chapel, Indiana Township and further out Route 8 to Hampton are good areas in suburbs relatively close to Ellis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know families in Unity Township and Latrobe whose girls have graduated from Ellis.
(I know that's further than the OP alluded to, but they MIGHT want Westmoreland County.)
Who wants to drive their kids HOURS to school every morning and back in the afternoon?!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Who wants to drive their kids HOURS to school every morning and back in the afternoon?!
Not me, that's for sure. (Plus $277,000+ for tuition K-12 would dissuade me....)

But some had parents who worked in Oakland and Cranberry.
Some arranged transportation from Murrysville.... some kind of carpool, I think.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Point Breeze and Shadyside are fine neighborhoods too, but they have a lot fewer young people around.
Just an aside, but that is true of Shadyside, but not true of Point Breeze.

According to 2010 Census data, Squirrel Hill South's under-18 percentage is 16.2%, and Squirrel Hill North (closest to Ellis) is 12.6%. Point Breeze is 20.2%, so actually substantially higher than Squirrel Hill. Shadyside is 6.5%, so substantially lower. For comparison, the City of Pittsburgh overall is 16.2%, Allegheny County is 19.8% overall.

As an aside, it is very likely the case that the large number of students living in places like Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are affecting those percentages. So I don't think this is a precise measure of "family-friendliness" in some absolute sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh