Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 22,421 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Pittsburgh from NJ, we have never been to Pittsburgh and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to move. We are looking for a safe family neighborhood, that has a good school system, close to shopping, about 45 mins or less to city and that has a hockey rink close by our children both play youth hockey. Also we are looking to rent a house, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
The Fox Chapel School District area seems like a good match for you.

There is a big ice skating rink in Harmar, and the school district is pretty top notch.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can live in inexpensive and a bit gritty Sharpsburg, or live in more suburban and more expensive areas like Indiana Twp., O'hara Twp or Fox Chapel itself which is at the top of the food chain.

Shopping areas are available at the Pittsburgh Mills mall and the Waterworks.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
There are hockey rinks in Delmont and Greensburg also.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
I am always amazed at how many people ask for advice about where to live with no indication of how much they are looking to spend. Its a pretty important detail.

I'd look at places in the North Allegheny, North Hills, and Fox Chapel school districts to start for what it sounds like you are looking for.

If you've done any research on these forums already, you will have seen that single family homes are somewhat difficult to come by as rentals in Pittsburgh. If you need to rent first (which is a good idea far as I am concerned) you may not be able to be super choosy about the area in which you rent.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 15,065 times
Check south.... Mt Lebanon. Blue ribbon schools, historic old housing stock, cool Main street shopping district, solidly family-oriented, 5 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. good luck.
Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Whats bringing you to Pittsburgh, are you moving on a whim or are you following a job? Someone going to school here?

Not easy sometimes to get from point A to B every day when Point A is Fox Chapel and B is New Stanton, or Pt. A is Delmont and Pt. B is the airport.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM

225 posts, read 323,846 times
There is a great rink on Neville Island at the Island Sports Complex - IMO the best in the area. Access is easy along I-79.

I would suggest along I-79 North in the Wexford area. Easy commute to downtown (no tunnels), easy access to rinks, good schools and good housing.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
I was thinking Neville Island area as well. And to further complicate this Gibsonia area has a rink too. Great school district (Pine Richland)

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Goodness. Please clarify that the OP wouldn't want to live on Neville Island but somewhere within reasonable distance to Neville Island.

Otherwise, she's going to go to Neville Island and think you're all crazy.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Mt. Lebanon is a nice, close-in suburb that seems to meet your criteria. It has its own public ice arena with extensive hockey programs offered through the town's Recreation Department, and it also has private rinks like the Ice Castle and Blade Runners.

Mt. Lebanon Ice Rink: Mt. Lebanon, PA - Official Website - Ice Center

Mt. Lebanon Rec. Deptartment: Mt. Lebanon, PA - Official Website - Programs/Schedules

Ice Castle: Ice Castle::Home (they could a new webdesigner)

Blade Runners: Bethel Park Location- Bladerunners

One thing to note about Greensburg's ice arena, which was mentioned by another poster, is that it is only open in the fall and winter, while many others in the area are open year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh