Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Yinzer and rube should not be considered insults.
That's how I feel, too. Jagoff is the insult. Not all yinzers are jagoffs, and not all jagoffs are yinzers.

By the way, where did the work jagoff come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
By the way, where did the work jagoff come from?
No idea, I don't think I'm old enough to have been around for its origins. It's obviously a spin off of "jerk off", and "jag" has several meanings including "screwing around" (stop jaggin'!), "jerk", and "jagger bush" (thorn bush).

Also while we're at it, when did Pittsburghers start using the term "rubbish" instead of garbage? That's a Brit term. Perhaps one day we'll replace the phrase "are you jaggin' me" with "are you taking the piss?"

Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Pittsburghese | PBS

"Many of these Scotch-Irish, along with other people from Ulster of native Irish and northern English ancestry, emigrated from northern Ireland to North America at the end of the 17th century and during the 18th century. Scotch-Irish immigrants also settled west and south of Pennsylvania, moving along the Ohio River and the Appalachian Mountains. Thus many features that can be traced to their way of speaking are found in Midwestern and Appalachian speech as well as in western Pennsylvania. Some of these words and structures are also still in use in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Among the many words used in southwestern Pennsylvania that are probably Scotch-Irish are redd up (clean up, tidy), nebby, slippy, and diamond for a town square. So is the word jag in the sense of poke or stab, from which come jagger (thorn, burr), jaggerbush (thorny bush), jag somebody off (irritate), jag around (fool around, goof off), and jagoff (a derogatory term for someone stupid or inept). Yinz, which is found throughout the Appalachians in various forms (such as you’uns), is most likely Scotch-Irish as well. So is the grammatical peculiarity found in expressions like The car needs washed or These customers want seated, where other dialects would have an infinitive (needs to be washed) or a present participle (needs washing). This is also found in Appalachian English and in the central Midwest."

Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Well since Pittsburgh is commonly labeled (or mis-labeled) as the "gateway to the Midwest" I thought rube would be a good starting point as to what a Yinzer is to our area. Basically Midwest rubes, Pittsburgh Yinzers, Texas Good ol' boys, etc. are the areas "common folk" with their own particular traits. Simple American people who are set in their ways and nothing more.

Yinzer and rube should not be considered insults.
This is at least a mild insult:

Rube - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

an awkward unsophisticated person : rustic
2: a naive or inexperienced person

Synonyms: bumpkin, chawbacon, churl, clodhopper, cornball, countryman, hayseed, hillbilly, provincial, hick, rustic, yokel

From another source:
rube/ro͞ob/Noun: A country bumpkin.

Furthermore, not all "rubes" are midwestern, and not all midwesterners are "rubes".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-04-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Pittsburghese | PBS

"Many of these Scotch-Irish, along with other people from Ulster of native Irish and northern English ancestry, emigrated from northern Ireland to North America at the end of the 17th century and during the 18th century. Scotch-Irish immigrants also settled west and south of Pennsylvania, moving along the Ohio River and the Appalachian Mountains. Thus many features that can be traced to their way of speaking are found in Midwestern and Appalachian speech as well as in western Pennsylvania. Some of these words and structures are also still in use in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Among the many words used in southwestern Pennsylvania that are probably Scotch-Irish are redd up (clean up, tidy), nebby, slippy, and diamond for a town square. So is the word jag in the sense of poke or stab, from which come jagger (thorn, burr), jaggerbush (thorny bush), jag somebody off (irritate), jag around (fool around, goof off), and jagoff (a derogatory term for someone stupid or inept). Yinz, which is found throughout the Appalachians in various forms (such as you’uns), is most likely Scotch-Irish as well. So is the grammatical peculiarity found in expressions like The car needs washed or These customers want seated, where other dialects would have an infinitive (needs to be washed) or a present participle (needs washing). This is also found in Appalachian English and in the central Midwest."
Thanks for the info, repped.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
For what it's worth, I grew up in Schuylkill County, and the term "skook" carries pretty much the same meaning as "yinzer" does in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is at least a mild insult:

Rube - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

an awkward unsophisticated person : rustic
2: a naive or inexperienced person

Synonyms: bumpkin, chawbacon, churl, clodhopper, cornball, countryman, hayseed, hillbilly, provincial, hick, rustic, yokel

rube/ro͞ob/Noun: A country bumpkin.
Well that's crappy. Unfortunately people equate the typical American countryman as a yokel. I think that's a larger problem actually, why are American common folk labeled as hicks by definition?

Quote:
Furthermore, not all "rubes" are midwestern, and not all midwesterners are "rubes".
Of course, just as not all Pittsburghers are Yinzers and such.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
No idea, I don't think I'm old enough to have been around for its origins. It's obviously a spin off of "jerk off", and "jag" has several meanings including "screwing around" (stop jaggin'!), "jerk", and "jagger bush" (thorn bush).
From what I've read, the modern association with "jerk off" is completely wrong (or at least it's not where the word came from.) A "jagoff" is someone who's prickly and thorny a la the jagger bush.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Well that's crappy. Unfortunately people equate the typical American countryman as a yokel. I think that's a larger problem actually, why are American common folk labeled as hicks by definition?

Of course, just as not all Pittsburghers are Yinzers and such.
You still don't get it. Both terms are insulting (rube and yinzer).

Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
You still don't get it. Both terms are insulting (rube and yinzer).
I personally don't think so, but that's my opinion. We throw call each other Yinzers in the office openly all the time and people actually take pride in it. I've lived here all my life and not once have I seen someone insulted for being a Yinzer. That's the local identity and people embrace it. ::shrug::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh