Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Good point- that's what I'm thinking also. I find it too coincidental that the house has been probably sitting there for years intact, and now that it's known that it's changing ownership, the windows are suddenly gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Actually that's probably why it was stolen now, lowlife pos's like to target homes that are listed for sale for such things. Just last month a guy I know walked in on another guy ripping out his piping the day before closing...unfortunately they scuffled & the perp got away.
The guy even brought lunch with him as I guess it was going to be a long job.
Makes sense that houses get stripped after going on the market because scum troll the house listings to find vacant properties.

It's not much idifferent from people's homes being burglurized while families are at furnerals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM

461 posts, read 750,102 times
We settled on our house today, and were finally able to see the damage; it appears as if the POS used a pry bar to break into the kitchen door and the basement door, after breaking the bilco door. In a weird way, I was glad to see that it was some criminal who broke in and not a family member. The security system will be installed tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have no further incidents. Maybe we'll get lucky and find some pretty replacement windows, but I'll check out their provenance before buying them - I don't want to encourage vandalism.

e

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM

747 posts, read 1,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
We settled on our house today, and were finally able to see the damage; it appears as if the POS used a pry bar to break into the kitchen door and the basement door, after breaking the bilco door. In a weird way, I was glad to see that it was some criminal who broke in and not a family member. The security system will be installed tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have no further incidents. Maybe we'll get lucky and find some pretty replacement windows, but I'll check out their provenance before buying them - I don't want to encourage vandalism.

e
The Union Project (formerly Union Baptist Church) needed all new stained glass windows. They started having classes a few years ago for fixing and creating all new stained glass windows. With the amount of pre war homes in the area, there was a need for the class. All of the students learned by making replacement stained glass for the church. After a few years, the church has all new and refurbished windows. Check them out, they may still offer those classes or point you in the right direction.

The Union project is at the corner of Negley and Stanton Avenues.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM

525 posts, read 901,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I'd do whatever you can to secure your home. Unfortunately copper theft is a big problem in western PA, and you'll have a nightmare on your hands if thieves go in there and start ripping out pipes. On the bright side, it's rare that they target properties that are lived in and/or maintained and checked up on. Also, tell your neighbors to keep an eye on the property. Chances are it was an isolated incident.

Also, even though we're a week out from Halloween, don't rule out a prank either. Damn punk kids.
How do you know that they were kids?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,130,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post

e
What a bummer, hope all your bad luck is behind you now. There's a special place in hell for people who do things like that. What sort of windows did you choose as replacements?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:23 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,210,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Actually that's probably why it was stolen now, lowlife pos's like to target homes that are listed for sale for such things. Just last month a guy I know walked in on another guy ripping out his piping the day before closing...unfortunately they scuffled & the perp got away.
The guy even brought lunch with him as I guess it was going to be a long job.
Now that the immediate problem of the OP's missing windows has seen some resolution, an anecdote...

I did some work a few years back for a guy. He grew up in East Liberty, and at the time all that area was undergoing "urban renewal".

His father used to, uhh, salvage copper plumbing from the condemned houses, kinda during off hours. (It's a time honored profession, not something new.)

Anyway, the guy told me that his dad used to take him and his brother along to help, and as a reward, when they were done, they got to throw rocks and break windows, stained glass included.

He figured at market prices, when he told me that story, in the mid 90s, he and his brother had probably smashed $20,000 worth of windows...

(Way more than the copper pipe was worth.)

Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,348,555 times
I'm sorry about what happened to you. I know it's no consolation, but theft of stained glass windows in Pittsburgh has been a problem off and on for years.

I remember when I lived in the East End in the late 1970s there was a ring of thieves that were stealing windows, especially from the older homes of East Liberty, and selling them in California. That group was broken up and another serial-window-theft person or persons started working in the Northside in the mid-1980s. People in Allegheny West were especially freaked out because the Louis Comfort Tiffany windows in the Calvary Methodist Church on Beech Avenue were the largest and most expensive commissions to Tiffany in the late 19th Century. I lived in the neighborhood at the time and everyone was on edge keeping an eye on Calvary 24/7 because that priceless church interior is truly the pride of the neighborhood.

Now I'm in Arizona and the theft of copper pipes and wire is an epidemic here (kind of ironic considering that most of our country's copper is mined in AZ). Tucson has had pipes dug up and ripped out in the largest city parks, costing the city hundreds of thousands of dollars to restore plumbing to public restrooms and swimming pools. There's not much house construction going on here now but what there is is beset by thefts from unfinished homes. One development near me had all the high-end appliances ripped out of model homes.

Unfortunately, this kind of lawlessness is common in times of economic stress. Take safety precautions in your new home. Lots of tips on home security can be found on City-Data. Here's a recent thread from Las Vegas:
Home just got burglarized

All the best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh