Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM
mjd mjd started this thread

14 posts, read 74,152 times

Advertisements

Many of the recent threads talk about the merits of living in the city. For various reasons, most especially proximity to family, we will be looking to move outside of the city limits of Pgh. Despite this, we would still like to live somewhere very UNLIKE Cranberry, where I was last weekend. I felt like I couldn't breathe there - just my opinion. Either someplace with some charm because it has its own downtown, or someplace pretty because there is some land and everything is not on top of everything else. Preferably an area that would have some older neighborhoods, although it wouldn't have to be all old. I just want to find a house with some uniqueness.

Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 PM

39 posts, read 142,063 times
Have you ever considered Punxsutawney In Jefferson about 91 miles when Cranberry is I think 94 miles your close to Pittsburg but not to close I love Pittsburg I’m a native of Jefferson but live in Philadelphia talk about crime and a corrupted city government

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
Many of the recent threads talk about the merits of living in the city. For various reasons, most especially proximity to family, we will be looking to move outside of the city limits of Pgh. Despite this, we would still like to live somewhere very UNLIKE Cranberry, where I was last weekend. I felt like I couldn't breathe there - just my opinion. Either someplace with some charm because it has its own downtown, or someplace pretty because there is some land and everything is not on top of everything else. Preferably an area that would have some older neighborhoods, although it wouldn't have to be all old. I just want to find a house with some uniqueness.

Thanks alot

Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:

Thanks alot
There are lots of little charming towns -- Mars (near Cranberry) Zelienople, Beaver, Butler, Saxonburg, Monaca, Rochester... but you have to go explore. Each place has it's own charms and faults. I don't think I want to live in the city area either -- I'm really more of a suburban type of girl -- Franklin Park is nice, Fox Chapel...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There are lots of little charming towns -- Mars (near Cranberry) Zelienople, Beaver, Butler, Saxonburg, Monaca, Rochester... but you have to go explore. Each place has it's own charms and faults. I don't think I want to live in the city area either -- I'm really more of a suburban type of girl -- Franklin Park is nice, Fox Chapel...
I would look up the stats on these places before looking for a house there. Some of these places are really depressed.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 AM

27 posts, read 144,054 times
if you got money move to upper st clair or mt lebanon or one of the suburbs in the south hills area. nice houses and good location close to everything

Old 02-16-2007, 01:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I would look up the stats on these places before looking for a house there. Some of these places are really depressed.
I agree that some of those areas Tally'sMom mentioned aren't places I'd want to live. Butler, Beaver, Monaca, and Rochester are way too depressed.

Mars, Saxonburg (very adorable), Zelienople (also nice) Franklin Park (no 'town' though), and Fox Chapel are nice.

Also look into Sewickley. It has a unique town with lots of victorian houses.

As for an area wtih lots of land, West Deer is still rural. Or go North on 28 and check out the outlying areas around Freeport.

If you don't mind a long commute, there are plenty of places outside of Allegheny County. You might enjoy a rural area in Westmoreland County.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:10 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree that some of those areas Tally'sMom mentioned aren't places I'd want to live. Butler, Beaver, Monaca, and Rochester are way too depressed.
Well, it has been 24 years since I've been to Monaca.... But Rochester is home to Buzzi's Pizza -- best stuff in the world!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,928 times
I'd look into the South Hills.
Upper St Clair and Mt Lebo. are great with good schools. But it's in Allegheny County so taxes are higher.
Peter's Township/McMurray in Washington County offers Great Schools and breathing room (although it is really growing) most homes are on 1/2 acre lots unless brand new developments. some people live on acreage while others are in develpoments...mixed land use. takes about 45-1hour to get into downtown.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 88,788 times
Default Moving outside the city (Pgh)

Yes, Cranberry's gotten overdeveloped, and waaaaayyy too fast! But drive ten minutes north and east -- where we live, not quite incidentally -- and you're in some of the most beautiful countryside.
I say this wistfully, because we're going to have to move soon and it's breaking my heart. We'll NEVER be able to afford this kind of place anywhere else in the U.S.
Within a 45 minute commute to Pittsburgh, we have a 1904 beautiful Victorian farmhouse on 20 acres, with woods and rolling pastures where our horses romp all day, with apple trees and a babbling stream, all overlooking open fields with two fish-stocked ponds. AND WE'RE NOT RICH (except in the non-monetary ways!).
We haven't put our house on the market yet, because we won't move till the fall. But if you know to stay away from the major thoroughfares with all the strip malls, you can find some wonderful places in southern Butler County.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,023 times
Quote:
we would still like to live somewhere very UNLIKE Cranberry, where I was last weekend. I felt like I couldn't breathe there - just my opinion.
If you meant that literally, it's not just your opinion. It's an actual fact. Pittsburgh is the worst city in the United States for Asthma sufferers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh