Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

Since people keep vehemently attacking me for my dreaded misuse of the term "yinzer" I would like to start a separate thread at this point in time to discuss this topic in greater depth. A member of this sub-forum sent me a lengthy description of what it is or isn't and that the term isn't necessarily pejorative; however, all of the research I've done seems to imply that a "yinzer" is a socially regressive type of person who resists progress, holds the area back, is loud and boorish in public, has an obssession with the Steelers, is a chain-smoker, loves free beer, etc.

Granted I've only lived in the area a year, so my only exposure to "yinzers" have been experiences similar to the ones I've observed above. With that being said, though, I'd love to be further enlightened on the topic since so many of you seem to view "yinzers" as being a population we should encourage the spread of in the area. I'm trying to learn how this city breathes, thinks, and pulses. I want to learn what makes Pittsburgh "tick", so to speak. I always thought the people who annoyingly hang out their windows and bang pots and pans while yelling when the Steelers score a touchdown would be considered "yinzers", but apparently I was mistaken. I also thought these links summarized most of what being a "yinzer" entails, but apparently these are also inaccurate since they portray "yinzers" in a negative light when, apparently, they are supposed to be portrayed in a positive light:

Stuff Yinzers Like
Yappin Yinzers

So if the people who cling to mullets, wear cut-off jean shorts, worship the Steelers, chain-smoke, have difficulty properly pronouncing English, etc. aren't "yinzers", then who is? I was informed via DM by this member that my basic understanding of "yinzer = white trash" is grossly mistaken and that I shouldn't speak on the subject any further because I'm so offensive. Well, then, please enlighten me, sub-forum. I now realize the "Yappin Yinzers" aren't really "yinzers" at all because they portray "yinzers" in a negative light. Thinking that "yinzer" = "uneducated" I blurted this out at the husband of the woman who totaled my vehicle on 09/29 as he got in my face harassing me, and he was quite offended to be called that, which is why I also assumed "yinzer" had a negative connotation.

Why should we encourage the spread of "yinzers" in our area? Just curious, since my comment that we should minimize them in Millvale garnered me a lot of negative feedback, including "You suck". I don't want to offend anyone any longer by not fully understanding this term. The person who sent me a DM basically said that when I talk-down what it is to be a "yinzer" it would be like saying "All Mexicans are lazy" (or some other harsh stereotype that is truthfully uncalled for). I apologize, since I suppose I've just never met a sophisticated "yinzer" yet since moving here. I'd also appreciate learning about what well-learned "yinzers" are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...on-yinzer.html

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
My neighbor.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I prefer "yunzer", it's sounds more upper class n'at.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Who is a Yinzer? My mother, my father, my friends, my co-workers.

What is a Yinzer?
Any google search will tell you. Stereotypes are based in truth.

Are Yinzers bad?
No. They are the local culture whether people like it or not. Just like you Bavarians have their own distinct culture in Germany or Moravians have their own distinct culture in the Czech Republic.

Can Yinzers be trashy? Yes. They can be those dudes waving a yellow towel made in China well yelling profanities and pissing in parking lots. They can also be your dentist or your friend who'd give you the shirt of their back.

The bottom line is they ARE the local here and while you can label certain aspects of the culture easily, you can't label the people themselves as a whole.

Last edited by Aqua Teen Carl; 12-09-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Who is a Yinzer? My mother, my father, my friends, my co-workers.

What is a Yinzer?
Any google search will tell you. Stereotypes are based in truth.

Are Yinzers bad?
No. They are the local culture whether people like it or not. Just like you Bavarians have their own distinct culture in Germany or Moravians have their own distinct culture in the Czech Republic.

Can Yinzers be trashy? Yes. They can be those dudes waving a yellow towel made in China well yelling profanities and pissing in parking lots. They can also be your dentist or your friend who'd give you the shirt of their back.

The bottom line is they ARE the local here and while you label certain aspects of the culture easily, you can't label the people themselves as a whole.
^ One of the most helpful definitions yet. Thank you for being one of the few to take a stab at this rather than just use it as a platform to tell me to shut up.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM

268 posts, read 374,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
however, all of the research I've done seems to imply that a "yinzer" is a socially regressive type of person who resists progress, holds the area back, is loud and boorish in public, has an obssession with the Steelers, is a chain-smoker, loves free beer, etc.

Granted I've only lived in the area a year, so my only exposure to "yinzers" have been experiences similar to the ones I've observed above.
^^ That's basically the local culture of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre minus a pro football team. And you were highly exposed to it in the area you grew up in, except they weren't called Yinzers. You should feel right at home here in Pittsburgh, except this city is more progressive and tolerant than NEPA. Also, I don't like to use overgeneralizing terms, especially one like "yinzer."

Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
There are people like "yinzers" in every city in this country I would say.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,309 times
The point I like to make is that its an stereotype...an unfair one actually...I guess I would be considered one, however I don't drink beer, watch sports, I am fair conservative and yet I am also a libertarian...I am not loud but shy, I have two college degrees, I dress well, speak with an accent and use all those yinzers words...I am proud to be a native of the city. I travel and I can respect other people values, even if they are not mine...many I know are not progressive, but I respect that is their right to think how they want too...we all have a right to our values.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,673 times
Seriously, why is this so hard for you? Yinzer is not synonymous with douchebag, no matter how much you insist it is.

Is it really such a mystery why Mr. Evil lawyer took offense? You do understand that context has a significant bearing on a word's meaning, right? I think that we would all agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a homosexual; however, imagine if a straight person and a homosexual individual were in a shouting match. If the straight person shouted, "You are a homo," that would probably be perceived by everyone around as a pjorative or slur, not as a statement of fact.

You were upset and you wanted to call the lawyer a d*ck, and you mistakenly thought that yinzer was a fair substitue. When your blood was boiling and you were yelling, were you really thinking that the lawyer was uneducated (even though you knew he had his Juris Doctorate), drove to the scene in a Trans Am, was sporting a mullet and cut off jean shorts, and had a butt hanging out of his mouth? No, you though, man this guy is a total a**hole, and I am going to let him know it.

The funniest thing to me is that your own actions and behaviors fall under your own definition of a yinzer; menial job, love of fast food, poor spending habits, penny slot playing, grudge-holding, and constantly complaining about things but never affecting any change. In addition, you chose to live in a neighborhood, Polish Hill, which is full of blue collar old-timers, who are the true yinzers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh