Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times

Advertisements

Tack shop in peters... There are quit a few horse farms in the Peters area, don't know about boarding but the tack shop should be able to get you some info. They are located right on McMurray rd off of rt19 by Donaldsons crossroads.

The English Horn
McMurray, Pa
Tack Shop

AREA STABLES... they may not have what you want but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

south park:

Morning Star Stables, 2277 Ridge Rd, South Park, PA 15129
(412) 655-9793

Horses Unlimited Stables, 1875 Stoltz Rd, South Park, PA 15129
(412) 835-7726
Untitled Page

Hobby Horse Hideaway, 1699 Stoltz Rd, South Park, PA 15129
(412) 835-9955

Gibsonia:

Johnston Highland Stables, 3600 Centerview Rd, Gibsonia, PA 15044
(724) 443-0740

Bridgeville:

Rolling Hills Ranch Incorporated, 677 Hickory Grade Rd, Bridgeville, PA 15017
(412) 221-9926 rolling-hills-ranch.com

Wyndhaven farm in south fayette township

Eightyfour:
Gil Mar Stables, 425 Ross Rd, Eighty Four, PA 15330
(724) 942-4354

Finleyville (close to Peters)

Mingo Creek Farms
Finleyville, Pa
Boarding, Training, Lessons, Sales

Cannonsburg farms...(no boarding avail but may know of someone)

No Farm
Canonsburg, Pa

Greenmoor Common Equestrian Center
Canonsburg,PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
I currently board my horse ar Rolling Hills rance. If anyone has questions I can give some answers.

Board here is currently $275/month
website is rollinghillsranch.com. Pictures on the site are not of the farm don't be fooled.

Tack shops

There are a few really good ones.

Lusters Saddlery-In evans City- More hight class, English, good quality tack. Some western too.

Lusters Tack- just north of there, forget the town-geared toward trail riders. Shop is right by Morrain park horse trailer parking. Great shop, great prices. Good place to look for western saddles.

RLB-South Park -general horse. Moslty english but some western and standard supplies. Decent prices.

The English horn-McMurray. English tack. Atmepting to go into western without much sucess yet. Good quality stuff, lots of horsie gift ideas too. Very pricy.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,514 times
I had a horse at Greenmoor Commons for 5 years and have been riding there for 8. My trainer runs the place. Board is about $380 right now. We have an indoor arena, Very large outdoor arena with jumps, four turn out paddocks, and a heated lounge with kitchen. Space for parking trailers, and every one is pleasant, and a lot of fun. Very nice stalls in two different barns, with a tack room in each where there is a tack box for every stall.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
For boarding try Rivendell Kennels in Canonsberg (in Peters really). They kennel dogs obviously , but they also board horses. This is a casual operation but they have beautiful grounds. Talk to John. If you need a more serious operation with more attention given to your horses, maybe try Caustelot Farm (Mike Wertz) in Cecil. There are a couple places in South Park too. All of these are about 25 min. from Mt. Lebanon. FYI there are a couple of serious race horse operations around- one breeds and races Arabians (Peters Township, on Sugarcamp Rd. I think) and another out Rt. 50 west beyond Cecil. Sorry I don't have the names but you might take a drive out that way some weekend.
BTW there is a Vet Tech school in downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Huh never knew about Rivendell....Have to check it out.

The arab farm on Sugar camp rd is Empress Arabians. A very posh barn. I expect board there is very high. Beautiful farm.

The on on Rt 50 in Hickory is a private barn. A lady who used to keep her horses at Empress built it last year.

There is also Castle Farms in Robinson TWP. Very nice barn. Not a big barn but very very nice. I know the owner.

I ride over behind Greenmoore some times and have trimmed some hooves there. Nice stable. Would like to see more turn out there though. Beautiful trails back there to.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
Actually, Teno, I haven't found a place to board my horses near Mt Lebanon. I'm still looking. They are currently boarded about 20 minutes northeast of Fox Chapel in a place called Slate Lick. The horse community in Pittsburgh is kind of nonexistent in comparison to other places I've lived.

There are several programs you can attend to get a certification in barn management and artificial insemination (I have a biology degree, and then went to Moorpark College Equine Program in southern California, which I believe is no longer doing a horse program, only exotics). To be an experienced manager, you have to get a job first! I ran a large (600 acre) thoroughbred breeding ranch in Malibu when I was there, sort of lucked into the job by knowing the right people (the only way to get a job in Malibu!). From there I managed a grand prix jumper's barn and since have worked with vets.

There are lots of areas with more horses than Pittsburgh. I just moved from the Boston area, which has a lot of horses, but nobody wants to spend any money on them. California is good, great weather for it and lots of money around. I assume Kentucky has a lot of racehorses as well. Really, you may want to pursue being a vet tech, as there are a lot more jobs for them than there are vet techs. I was able to work as one without the certification because of my experience. Because there are so few qualified techs most hospitals are willing to train. It's a good "in" with horse people. Techs don't get paid well in Pittsburgh (as far as I've seen in my research). I was an overnight tech in MA and made $17/hr. and here they make more like $9/hr. Ouch!

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Jen
Jen: I found your post during an internet search. I was also in the Moorpark College Equine program as an Animal Science major in the late '70' early '80's. Whatever happened to the program? Is Dr. Don Anderson still around?
John

Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
When I was younger Rolling Hills was where we would go to ride. The costs were reasonable for rental but boy if your horse saw the barn there was no stopping it. It was a wild ride back....

Nice area and not far as I was from Mt Lebanon. Rolling Hills was the closest place we could find, so you are likely in about the best spot for boarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh