Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

At a guess I was always giving bikes at least three feet, and mostly over four. Now I am always giving them at least four, and probably more like five. I don't know how much that is changing things for the bicyclists, but it couldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 AM

540 posts, read 868,623 times
I've been trying to give more room too, but the bikers all seem a bit annoyed when I whap them with the end of the tape measure.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,092 times
Quote:
The worst problem I had with a vehicle was a pickup in the Strip district. I was riding through that alley between Liberty and Penn because I needed a break from motorists. Sure enough some idiot in a diesel pickup gets behind me, revs his motor and is right on my tail. There is no way to pass, so I speed up to over 20 mph in an alley and running stop signs to get away, but he is wanting to keep up no matter the cost to anyone and runs the stop signs as well. I then stop and pull over and wave him by and he waves his hand back and parks. I called him an a-hole to his face and went on my way just thinking...typical.
Ok, let me get this straight...

You're in an alley, and a guy apparently wants to pass you in a pickup truck. You cross through several intersections at least, but instead of taking the opportunity to pause momentarily in the ample space afforded by one of those intersections, and allow him to pass, you accelerate, and run stop signs to stay in front of him.

Serious question--what were you trying to prove?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,126 times
I have observed that most cyclists are very inconsiderate. They behave as if they are in their own little worlds, totally oblivious to everything going on around them. There could be a line of cars stretched out for a mile behind them, and they just keep on pedaling and obstructing - on roads that do not have a bike lane, as if the roadway is their own sovereign domain.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I have observed that most cyclists are very inconsiderate. They behave as if they are in their own little worlds, totally oblivious to everything going on around them. There could be a line of cars stretched out for a mile behind them, and they just keep on pedaling and obstructing - on roads that do not have a bike lane, as if the roadway is their own sovereign domain.
the roadway IS their sovereign domain, at least as much as it is cars'.

see the pa bicycle manual. bikes have to stay in the right lane if they're going slower than other traffic, but they have no obligation to get off the road or pull over or whatever you expect them to do. they have a right to use a travel lane. ESPECIALLY if there's no bike lane. where do you expect them to ride if there's no bike lane? on the sidewalk? THAT is actually illegal.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/PubsForms/Publications/PUB%20380.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM

oh also, some perspective:

Complaints about bicyclists

Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
where do you expect them to ride if there's no bike lane? on the sidewalk? THAT is actually illegal.
Only in a business district, sometimes, says your source:

Quote:
Section 3508. Pedalcycles on sidewalks and pedalcycle paths.

Right-of-way to pedestrians.

A person riding a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk or
pedalcycle path used by pedestrians shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.

Business districts.
A person shall not ride a pedalcycle upon a sidewalk in a business district unless permitted by official traffic-control devices, nor when a usable pedalcycle-only lane has been provided adjacent to the sidewalk.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
People who want bicyclists on the sidewalk must not walk anywhere ever.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
People who want bicyclists on the sidewalk must not walk anywhere ever.

I was just posting what I learned by reading the cited source.

Oh, BTW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
...bikes have to stay in the right lane if they're going slower than other traffic, but they have no obligation to get off the road or pull over or whatever you expect them to do.

From the second part of that document, "Street Smarts. Bicycling's Traffic Survival Guide", page 10, top of the right column:

Quote:
If you block traffic for more than a short time, the law requires you to pull to the side and let the traffic by.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post

I was just posting what I learned by reading the cited source.

Oh, BTW...

From the second part of that document, "Street Smarts. Bicycling's Traffic Survival Guide", page 10, top of the right column:

what about the whole section before that?

Quote:
Understand that the law is on
your side. The law gives you the
right to use the road, the same as a
motorist, and to make other traffic
slow down for you sometimes.

Since you do not have eyes in the
back of your head, you cannot be
ex pected to keep track of the traffic
behind you at all times. The driver
approach ing from the rear is al -
ways required to slow and follow if
it is not possible to pass safely.
there's a bunch more too.

i'd be interested to see what law they're referring to in the part you quoted, because the laws are right there in the first part of the booklet and don't say anything about bicyclists having to pull over to let cars pass. to me, "block" is different from "slow down".

i mean, i think bikes should let people pass if they can. but the person i was originally responding to seemed infuriated that bikes are riding in roads without bike lanes at all.

it's important to remember that a speed limit is a speed LIMIT, not a speed MINIMUM, even if people treat it that way. there are generally only minimum speeds on highways. there's no law against going slower than the speed limit, for a car or a bike. sure, it's annoying, but people are within their rights to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh