Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghLlama View Post
I am sure there are some folks who might feel dirty without a shower, but I feel like it would mostly be in their heads; either that, or I actually am quite awful in the summer and my fellow employees just put up with my stench to spare my feelings.
^ Folks, we now know why the elevators of PittsburghLlama's office building reek in mid-July!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
It passed:

PA House passes safe bicycle passing bill | Pennsylvania Walks and Bikes

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
197-1 . . . I guess we have only one sane person in the state House.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I'll bet you that encouraging more bike use won't do squat to get more people riding bikes.
You're wrong. Check this out:

The Bike Pittsburgh Blog Archives » Bike Commuting Rates in Pittsburgh Still on the Rise, Up 269% Percent Since 2000 Census

Pittsburgh is actually gaining regular bike commuters at a pretty rapid pace. You might not believe that awareness campaigns, public events and road additions like "sharrows" and bike lanes--all means of encouraging bike use--play a role in this, but they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
That's an adorable (retarded) bill, but most of the time if I come within four feet of a bicyclist it's because THEY'VE SWERVED AT ME when I pass them.

Where's MY protection as a motorist if I'm doing my best to avoid them?
Haha, right, we need to get that law in place to stop all those cyclists from swerving into cars. That's definitely the real problem.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

567 posts, read 1,162,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It depends on the scenario. Many streets will have a parking lane or shoulder such that the bike could get over even further right than the edge of the travel lane. And again cars can intrude on the opposite lane briefly to pass a bike even in no-passing zones.
Well that could well put the bike in the "door zone", where some ignert jagoff might nearly kill you by indiscriminately opening his car door.
It does indeed depend on the situation though, I'm just sayin'; I reckon in most urban roads, at least, this would be the case. I hadn't though about less urban roads (Allegheny River Blvd for example, a route which I think deserves a dedicated bikeway alongside the roadway)

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM

I was thinking about this while driving in Squirrel Hill this morning. There were lots of spots where there were no cars for an extended distance in the parking lane, and the road was marked as a no-passing zone. Assuming both bikes and cars complied with the new rules, there would be ample opportunities for legal and safe passing.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Not for tractor trailors. They're 8 feet wide.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not for tractor trailors. They're 8 feet wide.
And not particularly abundant in the back streets of Squirrel Hill.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM

264 posts, read 492,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There were lots of spots where there were no cars for an extended distance in the parking lane, and the road was marked as a no-passing zone.
Yet I bet any cyclists in that area were still riding down the middle of the road, not bothering to move out of the way of any cars who may be held up behind them.

I'd be a much bigger fan of this type of legislation if 95% of the bikers I see on a daily basis followed even HALF of the rules of the road they are supposed to. I'm all for sharing the road, but most of the ones I see tend to think that stop signs and crosswalks are nonexistent and refuse to move to the side of the road when someone wants to pass. It's hard for me to be sympathetic to a cohort that wants drivers to follow their rules, but blatantly ignores some of the most basic rules of the road.

Also, I realize this isn't as big of an issue in the city, but I drive Noblestown Road a lot between 79 and McDonald. It's a windy road with blind curves galore. Despite the fact that the Panhandle Trail runs parallel to the road and goes through all of the same towns the road does, I regularly see cyclists riding on the road, which is extremely dangerous for them and almost as much so for the drivers who have to try to time their passes to coincide with the short sight lines. Now why can't these people just use the trail that was made exactly for that purpose? I do not drive my car on the trail, so why do they ride their bikes on the road, knowing the trail is right there? Is the "challenge" really worth causing an accident over?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Here's a question for everyone: On an average day, how many cyclists do you usually pass on your way to work? If it's different according to the seasons, how many do you see in the summer and how many in the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh