Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times

Advertisements

An article in the Trib mentions Forest City looking to seek offers for its Station Square and the Mall at Robinson properties in an attempt to focus on its core markets. As far as the Mall at Robinson is concerned, I believe CBL Properties may be a possibility given their past experience with the development of Settlers Ridge and their existing properties in Monroeville Mall and Westmoreland Mall as examples.

Station Square is definitely an entirely different animal, however. I think Continental Real Estate, the developer of retail properties on the North Shore, could be a prime candidate for Station Square as that would give them greater leverage over what attractions and retailers go in on both sides of the river. I also wouldn't rule out CBL as a possibility either, they could very well buy out both properties given the historic nature of the complex and its proximity to Downtown. This would also give them the dominant place in the market over Simon Property Group, which owns South Hills Village, Ross Park Mall and the Grove City Outlets.

I wonder what this may mean for Station Square with a new owner at hand. It has its share of vacancies in the mall portion but contains a number of nightlife attractions as well as the Hard Rock Cafe.

Forest City eyes offers for Pittsburgh malls, hotels - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
might be good for continental but probably bad for the city

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
station square needs a massive overhaul

Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
I drive by Station Square twice a day and like twice in the last two years we've stopped in at Houlihan's...the inside of the main building seemed pretty dead...not as dead as some other malls around here I've seen, but pretty close. Is that building separate from the property across the street (Grand Concourse, Hard Rock, etc.)? Those open air places seem to have more vitality than the main station house.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
I drive by Station Square twice a day and like twice in the last two years we've stopped in at Houlihan's...the inside of the main building seemed pretty dead...not as dead as some other malls around here I've seen, but pretty close. Is that building separate from the property across the street (Grand Concourse, Hard Rock, etc.)? Those open air places seem to have more vitality than the main station house.
If you're referring to the Freight House Shops where Houlihan's is, then that's part of the entire complex and not separate from the open-air portion.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Station Square is over 30 years old, so someone bringing something fresh to it, would probably be good.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
I can only say Good!
The Mall@Robinson is not my favorite place to shop. I rarely go into the mall itself, usually just drop into the anchors for whatever I need. It's full of 20-something clothing and jewelry stores.
I'll keep driving out to South Hills, which I did for years anyway. When we moved to North Fayette in early 1980's, there were rumors of a Mall! being built in Robinson, but it didn't happen til 2001.

If new owners would round up some new tenants with more of a variety, that might change it around, at least for me and a few of my neighbors who agree with me.

Edit: My husband objected to the variety comment, saying "But Dick's is there!" I've only used Dick's as a shortcut to the parking lot.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I always liked SS, back in the 80's it was the place. Still stop over at The Gandy Dancer for a brew every now and then, but the shops have gone downhill, and the Hard Rock is sooooooo 90's.

Maybe the soccer field will inject some life into it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Hopefully someone with some ambition buys Station Square--you could do a great residential project over there.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Depreciation and amortization schedules seem to dictate that major commercial properties should change hands on a regular basis, even if they aren't planning any major changes.

Over at Station Square, the big question marks are whether or not they will be getting a soccer field. Its presence and the kinds of crowds the field attracts will dictate what changes will come to the whole Station Square locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh