Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Study: Ohio River has most industrial pollutants among major U.S. rivers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Shame we just will never really shake this stuff! Will Pittsburgh ever be looked at as someplace green or progressive and updated with such press? Why do we have to pollute the heck out of our water around here? How do companies continually get away with this? Don't people drink from the Ohio? That is comforting to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Unfortunately with all the negative stigmas this city has shook off in the past decade this appears to be one they cannot shake.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Study: Ohio River has most industrial pollutants among major U.S. rivers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Shame we just will never really shake this stuff! Will Pittsburgh ever be looked at as someplace green or progressive and updated with such press? Why do we have to pollute the heck out of our water around here? How do companies continually get away with this? Don't people drink from the Ohio? That is comforting to know.
Where do you think they measured that? Pittsburgh? Cincy? Where it runs into the Mississippi? You'd think that by their definitions that the Mississppi would have >= the pollutants of the Ohio ("All its tributaries" should apply to the Mississippi too, right?). Not questioning that the Ohio still needs work, just how they're defining things here.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,011 times
The Ohio River is 981 miles long, the vast majority of which are outside Pennsylvania. I cannot find what the actual mileage is in Pennsylvania, but the river flows, of course, all the way to the Mississippi at Cairo, IL.
How much of this pollution actually emanates from the Pittsburgh or Western PA. area?
Certainly, the pollution from the old mills along the riiver in Beaver County, such as J&L Steel, is long gone. I'm not disputing the article, neccessarily, but is this area being tarred with a broad brush?
Who are the specific polluters around here?

Last edited by hornet67; 03-22-2012 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Here is the full report (http://www.pennenvironment.org/sites/environment/files/reports/Wasting%20Our%20Waterways%20PA.pdf - broken link). Table A-6 (page 39) shows that the overwhelming majority or chemicals dumped into the Ohio are dumped into the Lower Ohio (Indiana and Kentucky). Indiana is the top state too (page 32). AK Steel (Rockport, IN), on the Ohio, is the top facility (page 43) with over 24 million pounds, i.e. about 75% of the total discharges into the Ohio come from that single plant. Whatever Pennsylvanians do about water quality, the Ohio is going to remain on top of that list until that plant changes its ways.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Here is the full report (http://www.pennenvironment.org/sites/environment/files/reports/Wasting%20Our%20Waterways%20PA.pdf - broken link). Table A-6 (page 39) shows that the overwhelming majority or chemicals dumped into the Ohio are dumped into the Lower Ohio (Indiana and Kentucky). Indiana is the top state too (page 32). AK Steel (Rockport, IN), on the Ohio, is the top facility (page 43) with over 24 million pounds, i.e. about 75% of the total discharges into the Ohio come from that single plant. Whatever Pennsylvanians do about water quality, the Ohio is going to remain on top of that list until that plant changes its ways.
Thank you; perhaps that will put paid to the assumptions regarding local pollution.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
In that case it seems like a pretty (intentionally?) deceptive quote by Ms. Staff in this article. Heck, I even sympathize with her cause, but marking Pennsylvania as "a polluters' paradise" does not tell the whole story, does it? That, along with the "tributaries" issue I have, and along with the question of why they are not counting agricultural runoff (which would surely hurt the Western and Midwestern rivers) makes me think someone is cherry-picking facts to fit an agenda. And even though I happen to agree with that agenda in principle, it just looks bad.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
makes me think someone is cherry-picking facts to fit an agenda. And even though I happen to agree with that agenda in principle, it just looks bad.
It doesn't look bad, it is bad. This crap shouldn't surprise you and unfortunately is common. Unclear whether this person is delibrately deceptive or just spouting off words without really knowing what they are talking about.

(Almost) everyone wants clean water and less pollution, just the way we get there and the price we pay for doing that is open for debate and disagreement. Would be nice if we could talk about issues and solutions without the actual facts being potrayed all deceptively by one side or the other to suit their agenda.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
There was a recent story about PPG and Ford City being sued over some old holding ponds with toxic waste leeching into the Allegheny.

I don't know the technology for clean up, but it just seems that they could at least empty those pools as best they can, and somehow treat the waste to neutralize it to the extent it can be. It's not mystery sludge as they know exactly what's in it.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Sorry if that was misleading. It was in the Post Gazette and the Ohio River, so it drags us in. What a sickening shame states allow such things. What is Indiana and Kentucky thinking? It sure is shocking. Hope we set a great example for those other places to follow. Pittsburgh is growing and doing better and I feel part of it is because of it being cleaned up. We have a ways to go, but it is better than it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh