Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 16,824 times

Advertisements

I've been to both and they aren't exactly the same. Size? Yes. But, much of what you are comparing isn't the right things. First of all, Cincinnati is not just the city. Is there crime in the city? Yes. But, much of Cincinnati is still nice neighborhoods and great architecture. If you know someone then they will most likely be friendly but people in the city may not be. Across the river counts as well. Look at Covington and its big old mansions. You don't have to look at the rundown parts of the city consider the whole area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 16,824 times
@TelecasterBlues

Yeah I would totally agree. Louisville reminds me alot of Cincinnati. Just count the areas around the cities as well including the suburbs and small towns.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
out of all the cities out there i think pittsburgh is most comparable to cinci. yes they have their differences, but you can really tell the similarities b/w them if you have spent time in either. Cinci has some fantastic architecture and neighborhoods. Yes, Pgh beats it in terms of skyline. Look at Over the Rhine and its street level density though, its quite lovely. Shouldn't this thread be in city vs city and not the Pittsburgh forum? Seems like it'll be slightly less biased.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 11-24-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
In all fairness, I made that clear. But, even though everything is subjective, art is especially subjective and I was just repeating something I read by a relatively well-respected ratings organization (Zagat) about a very impressive art museum, apparently one of the most impressive in the country. I haven't been to all of them, so I can't comment further.
I haven't heard of Cincinnati as among the great art museums. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, Frick built his art museum in New York and Andrew Mellon financed and contributed his collection to the National Gallery of Art in DC.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:05 PM

321 posts, read 861,044 times
Pittsburgh is my favorite city in the US and Cincinnati is my second favorite city in the US. Both because of the steep hills and complex street patterns because of the hills and also the age and the many old tall, narrow houses that they have due to their age. Pittsburgh has a lot more of these attributes than Cinci does, which is why Pittsburgh is my favorite. Both are great fun places to wander around. Cinci is surprisingly far west for its age. It's interesting to see that these two cities were chosen for comparison.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Cincy/Dayton was at one time the largest industrial area in the world. WAY more industrialized than Pittsburgh. Its roots aren't mercantile either.
I think you have your histories confused. No city on earth was more industrialized than Pittsburgh at its peak. Pittsburgh was outproducing entire countries. Cincinnati/Dayton have no such reputation. As with many places they have their industries but that area's historical roots was mostly mercantile.

Quote:
Proctor and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson, and General Electric were as big or bigger than Pittsburgh's entire economy.
No...no... Pittsburgh's US Steel was a behemoth, Alcoa the largest Aluminum company, Westinghouse countered General Electric. And neither General Electric or Johnson & Johnson are based in Cincinnati. Pittsburgh was a major economy in the US and bigger than Cincinnati.

Quote:
If Cincinnati wouldn't have lost its homegrown companies that turned out to be massive fortune one thousand companies the city would probably be a lot better off. general Electric moved to Connecticut. Many of the other Cincinnati homegrown companies moved elsewhere also. Cincinnati makes me mad more than anything. It could have always been such a better place than it is. It really did have a lot of potential. I give Pittsburgh the edge because it seems tougher and more determined. Plus another thing, Cincinnati has a lot of fascist elements like eye recognition and hand scanners when signing in for a job.
Pittsburgh also lost companies such as Rockwell left and Westinghouse was pretty much broken up. And no, I don't think GE was a Cincy homegrown company.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:15 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
GE had its's lighting division in Cleveland. The company was founded by Edison, in Schenectady, NY.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Pittsburgh is my favorite city in the US and Cincinnati is my second favorite city in the US. Both because of the steep hills and complex street patterns because of the hills and also the age and the many old tall, narrow houses that they have due to their age. Pittsburgh has a lot more of these attributes than Cinci does, which is why Pittsburgh is my favorite. Both are great fun places to wander around. Cinci is surprisingly far west for its age. It's interesting to see that these two cities were chosen for comparison.
Yep, there's really nowhere else quite like them.

It's interesting with the grandoise of the Rocky Mountains...but nowhere in the Rocky Mountains really has that Pittsburgh or Cincinnati feel.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
I love Cincy... comparable to Pittsburgh in terms of size, built environment, topography... but Herodotus is right that the temperament there is different. A wonderful city to explore... they really love their neighborhood identities, high schools, and local foods (goetta, Graeter's, Cincy chili, etc.).

Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I saw Graeter's Raspberry Chip in the Giant Eagle freezer case and almost fainted. That's dangerous information for me to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh