Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 AM

9 posts, read 16,467 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to post here and get some thoughts from locals on what some of the decent neighborhoods are and which ones I'd want to avoid. I'm from suburban Philly (I know...boo and hiss, please don't throw things) and want to make a move into a city. I love Philly, but the city gov't seems to enjoy stifling new business and pandering to those who give it the Killadelphia name. So I'm thinking about Pittsburgh. I find the city to be wildly underrated (even with the "Most Livable City" press) and have enjoyed myself whenever I've been there.

Here's my deal: I'm a 36 y.o. single guy that is looking to rent. I have a bead on some jobs in the Central Business District and am looking for a relatively safe area with a reasonable commute (either public transportation or preferably walking, willing to walk up to a mile). Rent-wise I'm hoping for something in the $500-$750 range. I don't mind "gritty", I just want to avoid "ghetto".

Based on the little bit of research I've done thus far, here are some neighborhoods that have sparked some interest: Polish Hill, Bloomfield, Shadyside, the Oakland neighborhoods, Mt. Washington, Southside Flats/Slopes, Allegheny Central, Central Northside, and the Central Business District.

I'm not trying to write a novel, so I'll leave it at this for now. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
All of the neighborhoods you listed are good bets. If you want to be able to walk downtown, I think that probably rules out Shadyside or Oakland (the walk would take a long time and would not be convenient). In your rent range, you could probably find something nice on Mt. Washington and use the incline to go to work. You can get good bang for your buck on the North Side (War Streets, Allegheny West, and Deutschtown) and be walkable to downtown. Polish Hill is a good bet, but I don't know how many rentals are on the market. Also consider lower Lawrenceville, which you could probably walk or bike downtown from.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM

9 posts, read 16,467 times
Thanks angel,

The South Shore is an area I haven't explored yet save for a few bars/restaurants on Carson, does the incline from Mt. Washington lead down to a ferry that takes you into the Business District? I'm assuming this is the case.

I'll have to look into the North Side a little more. Still trying to get a read on whether War Streets is a decent neighborhood or not, but I have to say I loved PNC Park & Max's Allegheny Tavern. There seem to be a couple decent apartment complexes (Allegheny Center & School House) on the North Side, but we'll see what else is out there.

Thanks for the tip on lower Lawrenceville, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
No ferry, but it is a short walk from the base of the Mon Incline to Downtown over the Smithfield Street Bridge.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the War Streets given what you told us. Outside of living in Downtown itself, the North Side probably provides the best walking commute to Downtown.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
No ferry, but it is a short walk from the base of the Mon Incline to Downtown over the Smithfield Street Bridge.
It's a great walk but if there are days you don't feel like doing it, the T is right there as well as every bus coming through the transit tunnel from the south.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times
Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the War Streets given what you told us. Outside of living in Downtown itself, the North Side probably provides the best walking commute to Downtown.
Boom. I second this. While the walk from the War Streets to Downtown is more than a mile, it's a really easy and pleasant walk. Cut through the park, skirt around Allegheny Center, and across the bridge (Something like this).

If you don't feel like walking, bus connectivity is really good, and will likely continue to be good even if PAT goes through with the September service cuts. The train is also available, which cuts the walk down to about .7 miles.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
It's a great walk but if there are days you don't feel like doing it, the T is right there as well as every bus coming through the transit tunnel from the south.
Indeed. What would be really cool is if they extended the Downtown Free Zone to the Station Square T stop, but it is still just a transfer (on top of the incline ticket).

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
While the walk from the War Streets to Downtown is more than a mile, it's a really easy and pleasant walk.
It can be hard to explain until you live here for a while, but a walk even that long which is actually pretty much level is a rarity in Pittsburgh. And the views of Downtown as you are coming over are just amazing.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times
Quote:
It can be hard to explain until you live here for a while, but a walk even that long which is actually pretty much level is a rarity in Pittsburgh. And the views of Downtown as you are coming over are just amazing.
Yeah, it's a great walk. One of the best walks. West Park is awesome no matter the weather, and the views from Lacock on are really sweet. The only crappy part is Allegheny Center, but that part can be minimized by taking that path behind the apartment complex in the West Commons.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
If you're willing to bike, that extends you possibilities a bit.

Personally, I live in Central Lawrenceville, and bike to work from April-October generally. It takes me around 1/2 hour, which is about the same as the bus, but I don't have to worry about being out the door at a particular time. Once they actually finish the bike trail on our side of the river, and I don't have to cross bridges twice, it will probably be an even faster ride.

Most of the lower North Side is also good for bike commuting due to its flat nature. I can't say South Side is as good, as despite flat terrain, after you cross the 10th Street Bridge it's kinda a bad transition actually getting past the tunnel and into downtown.

I used to live in Bloomfield (or even distant Friendship), and bike to work, and it's not as ideal, as it's up a major slope. This means it's very quick to get into work in the morning, but it can be a long commute back home. Still, it's doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh