Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times

Advertisements

A bigger place will cost more in utilities if you are paying for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Regent Square is a nice area. Crafton I do not know too much about it. I don't think you need to use the tunnels to get to Mercy from either of those locations though. If I am wrong though anyone feel free to correct me. I am not sure what you like to do in your free time but I do think there would be more things to do in the Regent Square/East End area.
No, lost of people use Steubenville Pike, but not sure the best route to Mercy?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
No, lost of people use Steubenville Pike, but not sure the best route to Mercy?
You can take 60 to Carson St, then hop on the Ft Pitt Bridge right after the tunnel, avoiding the big backup. The hop off the parkway at Grant, I believe.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM

13 posts, read 33,748 times
I think we found a nice place in Beechview. Any comments or suggestions on that area. Thank you again for everyones input. We are getting excited about moving up to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving from Florida View Post
I think we found a nice place in Beechview. Any comments or suggestions on that area. Thank you again for everyones input. We are getting excited about moving up to Pittsburgh.
Beechview is a good area with easy access to downtown and the T. It is not as trendy as the east end but is still nice in my opinion and has a good bit to offer

Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM

130 posts, read 251,930 times
Floridians,

Just curious why are some of you so anxious to get out of Florida? I was just curious what would prompt such a drastic change?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Floridians,

Just curious why are some of you so anxious to get out of Florida? I was just curious what would prompt such a drastic change?

Have you been to Florida? Too much crime, unemployment, terrible wages, red necks...the list goes on.
Yes you have the beaches and the nice weather...but I'd rather live someplace with better job opportunities

Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
New-era, I'll give you the list off the top of my head (I moved back to Pittsburgh from Tampa, FL after living there 20 years):

1. The expense of preparing for hurricanes - these include retrofitting your house with things like hurricane clips, roofing improvements, bracing for gables, etc. Then there was my $3000/year for homeowner's and flood insuruance. When the next big hurricane hits down there, that will double in price because the state is now funding at least half of the insurance policies.

2. The influx of illegals over the last 10 years that has made the economy no longer function properly.

3. The everyday cost of the pervasive fraud that occurs there. One example is auto insurance that is double the price it is here in Pittsburgh due to the 'staged accidents' fraud. But the fraud can be found pervading even the most mundane aspects of life.

4. The aftereffects of the housing bubble and bust. Millions of people are trapped in their mortgages and the foreclosures go on and on.

5. The climate isn't friendly nor is the state government which serves only the top 5%, income-wise.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 AM

29 posts, read 41,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Floridians,

My husband accepted a new job in Pittsburgh. We always wanted to get out of florida though as there are more opportunties for jobs, better education, SEASONS, and more culture. We are excited for our move and looking forward to raising our children there.

Florida is not all Disney World and beach days.... living here is very different than vacationing here.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM

130 posts, read 251,930 times
No I was never there just hear from people that it's so great. Appreciate the responses but yeah things don't sound great there. I realized there was a good amount of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh