Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,906,358 times

Advertisements

While not conclusive this research leads me to believe the Burgh itself is becoming more Transient as its economy becomes more defined by Eds/Meds/Tech/Financial/Energy and less by Manufacturing.

Quote:
In Pennsylvania, the average earnings growth of residents rose by 20 percent, with 32 percent of workers experiencing upward financial mobility.

“The fact that different states’ residents experience different rates of mobility really does show that where you live matters,” said Erin Currier, a project manager for the study. “As policy makers and others seek to promote the American dream for everyone, these are compelling data to keep in mind.”
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Pennsylvania is one of eight states with better-than-average economic mobility - Pittsburgh Business Times
Let me know if anyone want's the full story.....

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,049,132 times
There is really nothing more important than this topic when it comes to attracting people to an area. Amenities, local culture, and so on are all nice, but the thing people care most about is whether they will have a chance to work to improve their circumstances.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:58 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There is really nothing more important than this topic when it comes to attracting people to an area. Amenities, local culture, and so on are all nice, but the thing people care most about is whether they will have a chance to work to improve their circumstances.
And I will add, to be around people who are doing the same. Nothing scared me more than moving to pittsburgh thinking that I might not be able to find young up and coming professionals to hang with. While i haven't had tons of success, I've been pleasantly surprised by the variety of personalities I've encountered so far.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,780 times
Why Some States Are More Economically Mobile Than Others - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Quote:
Why Some States Are More Economically Mobile Than Others

* Richard Florida

According to an important new study from the Economic Mobility Project at the Pew Center on the States, economic mobility varies by geography within the United States as well. The map above shows that economic mobility is highest in the New England and the mid-atlantic states, especially New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. The states where residents experience the least economic mobility are all in the south, with Louisiana, Oklahoma, and South Carolina scoring at the bottom.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM

18 posts, read 83,189 times
In Pittsburgh I think it is based on the racial group your in. For the black population upward mobility and opportunity have basically remained flat.. If your young and white - go for it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh