Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Believe it or not, not everyone liked it.

It was the only pizza that made me physically ill. It was a big sloppy greasy mess. I suspect it would have went out of business long ago, if it weren't for people that claimed to like it because it was hip or cool to like it.
You are no doubt much younger than I and you are very off base. I know full well many people didn't like it, but it wasn't some yinzer hangout. It was a very eclectic crowd there. Lots of people from Fox Chapel and Mt. Lebo as well as people from Millvale to Etna. When Vincent himself was making pizza it was a huge success and it would be today if he was still at the helm. There were plenty of things about Vincent's that made if very different. Sometimes it was a bit burnt, but for some reason people like that. If you got sausage on your pizza it was almost always very well done because the sausage was raw, big chunks and large. His pepperoni was bits and pieces, not full round slices and it also stuck together, so you might get a piece with some big chunk of pepperoni.

Vincents wasn't for everyone, but the following was huge and the type of people that went there were poor to very wealthy. Lots of out of states plates in the parking lot back in the day. Not many would remember all that. Always a line out the door on weekends if you were there at 5:30PM or later. He opened at 5:00PM and was NEVER open for lunch. He never delivered pizza. He never used pizza boxes because they sold so many pizzas they couldn't fit them in the building. It wasn't "hip" or "cool", it was very good pizza for those that like over the top pie. If you got onion and green pepper, it would be more watery because there was so much topping.

I have been there countless times, but mostly stopped going after Vincent retired. For the old timers, I have a question for you. What was the ceiling made of in the back room with that bar? Never saw anything like that in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 AM

56 posts, read 99,769 times
It was pretty busy up until it's last day. The lines definitely shortened, but the parking lot would fill up to the point where cars would line Ardmore on Friday and Saturday nights. It was pitch black the other night. So sad.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM

255 posts, read 284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The Waterworks Mall in Fox Chapel is technically in Larimer across the river. For all intents and purposes for those born before you, Vincents Pizza began and was located in what locals consider Forest Hills.
What?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
Heard a bit about the controversy regarding the heirs and the new owners: First there are 3 heirs and they are not all on the same page. Second, there was an agreement that 5% of pizza sales should be paid as a fee. Owners claimed 5% of pizza sales where heirs said all sales.

Oh well.

Regarding Beto's: I never heard of them and have gotten information about them off the internet. To my horror, they are one of those "pizza" shops that believe cheese should be added to the pizza after it is baked. In other words, room temp or cold cheese is put on the pizza just before you eat it. I think DeCarlos (or some other outfit) in WV does that and in my opinion, it is a complete disaster.

No unmelted loose cheese on my pizza. Thank you, No.

Still, it looks like they load it up pretty good. I don't think they would know what to do if you added 7 topings on a slice. I guess it would look like a pyramid - 2" tall in the center...

Regarding Mineos: I went to C-MU for 2 years from 81 to 83 and it was the best $5 pizza money could buy. It was a great value. And that was all.

So what are they doing now? They say they ship their pizzas all over the country. What? I mean back in the 80's it was marginally better than Papa John's. So did they do a complete make-over? If not, they are living in Dream Land.

Sorry, no Mineo's for me.

Was at Big Jim's 2 weeks ago. We got a couple Big Jim Calzones and a Chicken Parm. Humongous portions. I had the Reuben which a lot of people rave about and it was forgetful. I guess you have to go to NYC to get a 2" wad of fresh carved corned beef on a sandwich. (Actuall TooJays Deli in FL would make a 2" tongue sandwich, but those days are gone too. It was pretty darn good for a chain too.)

The only other unique pizza that I crave is Jioio's in Latrobe and Carbon PA. It and Vincent's were the only 2 pizza that were addictive for me. This was a thing pizza with a "pie short" crust and a sweet spicy sauce. You could take a center piece (square pie) and the crust was brittle and it would not droop. Easy to eat.

A brief of iconic pizzas long gone: Cosmos in Murrysville and LaFiesta in Jeannette. Babba Darius had a $40 Greek pizza that I never tried. It might have been good. Unfortunately, will never know.

I hope that they open Vincent's back up. The new owners had modified the pizza a little. It was different in a few aspects and actually better in a couple others. I had 2 from them in the last few months and they were consistent and got my seal of approval.

Have to find out more about this place in Penn Hills that was mentioned here...

Tom

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Just last Friday I went to Vincents up in Irwin with a few coworkers to cap off months end...

Not a huge fan. Greasy, sloppy mess. I mean, I'd go back on occasion but doesnt seem to be all everyone's cracked it up to be. The stuffed peppers were great though.

And did meet a cute girl. No complaints on my end.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Just last Friday I went to Vincents up in Irwin with a few coworkers to cap off months end...

Not a huge fan. Greasy, sloppy mess. I mean, I'd go back on occasion but doesnt seem to be all everyone's cracked it up to be. The stuffed peppers were great though.

And did meet a cute girl. No complaints on my end.
Yeah, that one doesn't have the ovens hot enough, so it is more mushy. Not the same thing as back when Vincent's was really great. It never was quite the same after he retired. Most pizza makers don't have the patience to WAIT for a pizza to actually be cooked through. Vincent did take the time. If you got sausage, the pizza was going to be a little burned. I got sausage often due to that fact. Loved that greasy burned mess with a puddle of oil in the middle. Ah the good ol' days.

The closest pizza to the old Vincent's is in Holiday Park out on Rt. 286. They have the correct ingredients, but again the ovens aren't as hot and they are just a bit underdone. Still pretty good though and if I was going to go, I would go there.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motatcd View Post
I hope that they open Vincent's back up. The new owners had modified the pizza a little. It was different in a few aspects and actually better in a couple others. I had 2 from them in the last few months and they were consistent and got my seal of approval.

Have to find out more about this place in Penn Hills that was mentioned here...

Tom
When I went last week I actually was with a friend of the owner of the Irwin restaurant -

He said that the one in Forest Hills closed due to a few months of unpaid rent in combination with they hadnt paid their royalties in a certain number of months. The woman who owns the rights is looking to possibly buy back the Forest Hills location and give it a new owner.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motatcd View Post

Regarding Beto's: I never heard of them and have gotten information about them off the internet. To my horror, they are one of those "pizza" shops that believe cheese should be added to the pizza after it is baked. In other words, room temp or cold cheese is put on the pizza just before you eat it. I think DeCarlos (or some other outfit) in WV does that and in my opinion, it is a complete disaster.

No unmelted loose cheese on my pizza. Thank you, No.

Tom
Beto's is the worst "food" I've ever eaten... yet it's legendary amongst a certain subset of natives. Frozen cheese, canned mushrooms, terrible ingredients... and a bizarre preperation... no thanks. Like DiCarlo's... it's representative of "Ohio Valley Pizza"... which is especially popular in the Wheeling/Steubenville area... and has some outposts in Pittsburgh's South Hills. To me... a place like Beto's and its beloved reputation... represent the old "bad" Pittsburgh... where awful food was celebrated.

foodspotting.com

foursquare.com

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
If you don't like Beto's style, don't buy it. Obviously a lot of people do or it would be out of business. I've stopped there on more than one occasion for a couple of slices. Everyone has different tastes.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
DiCarlo's is my favorite pizza in the area. Beto's ain't bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh