Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
DiCarlo's is my favorite pizza in the area. Beto's ain't bad either.
For me it's Luciano's in the North Hills and Cranberry. But I always like to mix it up with the occasional Pizza Roma or Vocelli's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Beto's is the worst "food" I've ever eaten... yet it's legendary amongst a certain subset of natives. Frozen cheese, canned mushrooms, terrible ingredients... and a bizarre preperation... no thanks. Like DiCarlo's... it's representative of "Ohio Valley Pizza"... which is especially popular in the Wheeling/Steubenville area... and has some outposts in Pittsburgh's South Hills. To me... a place like Beto's and its beloved reputation... represent the old "bad" Pittsburgh... where awful food was celebrated.
Yeah, Beto's isn't anything like Vincent's. Vincent used super high quality ingredients. No one could argue against that. Totally different. Vincent's is gone. It is over. Those who had it back in the day remember. Those who never had it don't understand. It wasn't for everyone though. It was... bold.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 PM

37 posts, read 73,207 times
My husband is interested in opening a pizza place in the Pittsburgh area. We've found a place available in Jeannette. Is business there good enough or is it too far from the city?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl_vain View Post
My husband is interested in opening a pizza place in the Pittsburgh area. We've found a place available in Jeannette. Is business there good enough or is it too far from the city?
There are at least 7 pizza shops now in Jeannette and even more nearby. It is in the Greensburg area, not Pgh., except in a far-fetched way. I believe it is a troubled area and population is in decline. Low rent shouldn't be the deciding factor.

You should start your own thread stating in more detail what you are looking for. There are suburbs nearer to the city that could use a or another pizza shop especially if you will deliver and be open beyond 10 P.M. The only place I know of near me is Pizza Hut and I get flyers in the mail from a place 7 miles/2 towns away claiming they will deliver. You need to have a worthy product.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
sibyl,

Good pizza is always welcomed. I've been in California longer than I can remember and have never found pizza as good as I remember it to be in Pittsburgh. I have tried pizza from San Diego to Arcata an nothing could compare. You may laugh, but someone once told me it's the water. Fresh ingredients and a great crust make for a great pizza. My wife found a recipe in Bon Appetite and that's the closest pizza I've found to Pittsburgh Pizza. It's a lot of work but worth the effort. Check out Bon Appetite February or March of this year.

I should also say I loved Vincent's. He put his heart and soul into every pie he made.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
But I always like to mix it up with the occasional Pizza Roma or Vocelli's.
Therefore, I have no interest in the pizza you like. No offense, just that school pizza isn't my thing.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
gg

I was told Vincent's Pizza in Forest Hills is going to reopen at some point. Any truth in that? I believe the building is owned by the daughter of the famous Vincent. I don't think it will ever be the same as back in the day when Vincent was flying dough with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, but maybe it will be okay again. Anyone live over that way see any activity or remodeling?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was told Vincent's Pizza in Forest Hills is going to reopen at some point. Any truth in that? I believe the building is owned by the daughter of the famous Vincent. I don't think it will ever be the same as back in the day when Vincent was flying dough with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, but maybe it will be okay again. Anyone live over that way see any activity or remodeling?
According to this article, the building has been remodeled, and a new Vincent's Pizza will be opening.

A New Vincent's Pizza is Rising from the (Oven) Ashes - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
I haven't been in Pittsburgh long enough to try many pizza places, but last week I had a slice from Spak Bros. on Penn Ave and it was very good.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
It was this Vincent that started the Pizza place right?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh