Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Some articles:

Three Rivers Heritage Trail to extend to Hazelwood, new segment through ALMONO site

Three Rivers Heritage Trail to be extended | TribLIVE

A trailhead at Hazelwood and Gloster is a great improvement--now they just need to get it down to the Glenwood Bridge so it can connect over to Duck Hollow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 AM

106 posts, read 212,096 times
I'm really glad to read about this extension. I did not know it would be complete so soon.

Can anyone recommend a north/westbound route through Hazelwood from under the Glenwood Bridge to this new trail head while avoiding Route 885? Is there some string of alleys or side streets you could recommend and have experience traveling?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some articles:

Three Rivers Heritage Trail to extend to Hazelwood, new segment through ALMONO site

A trailhead at Hazelwood and Gloster is a great improvement--now they just need to get it down to the Glenwood Bridge so it can connect over to Duck Hollow.
I've said for a long time that just by placing switchback ramps on either end of the Glenwood Bridge you could make a seamless connection between the GAP and Duck Hollow. If that were done folks near Frick Park, like in Regent Square, would have a nearly-completely segregated bike route to Downtown.

I'm impressed about the timing of this project. Though, one would have to be cautiously optimistic at best to expect to see it extended to Duck Hollow, or the Glenwood Bridge sidewalks being reconfigured, in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost7 View Post
I'm really glad to read about this extension. I did not know it would be complete so soon.

Can anyone recommend a north/westbound route through Hazelwood from under the Glenwood Bridge to this new trail head while avoiding Route 885? Is there some string of alleys or side streets you could recommend and have experience traveling?
Unfortunately no, thus the relative significance of this project. I personally have rode my bicycle along Second Avenue/Irvine and can say that it's not terribly bad, just use caution. I wouldn't recommend it with inexperienced riders. Thankfully, this new trail extension would bypass what I believe is the most dangerous stretch of Second Avenue in Hazelwood, the drag-strip like segment from roughly Lewis Playground until the atypical intersection with Greenfield Avenue by the railroad tressle.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some articles:

It's good to see the tral being built before the development of the LTV site.

The railroad tracks start to run pretty close to the river bank just down river from the Glenwood bridge, so connecting to Duck Hollow would be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
I've said for a long time that just by placing switchback ramps on either end of the Glenwood Bridge you could make a seamless connection between the GAP and Duck Hollow. If that were done folks near Frick Park, like in Regent Square, would have a nearly-completely segregated bike route to Downtown.

I'm impressed about the timing of this project. Though, one would have to be cautiously optimistic at best to expect to see it extended to Duck Hollow, or the Glenwood Bridge sidewalks being reconfigured, in the near future.
I agree that a ramp up to the bridge is probably the best answer, and I also agree that anything isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: