Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 PM

60 posts, read 64,334 times

Advertisements

1. What is it you do for a living? (in general terms, please, i.e., lawyer, bricklayer, sous chef, mayor, etc.)

2. How did you get YOUR job?

Be specific: "My aunt works for XYZ and she got me in", "I applied at monster.com", "I wore a sandwich board outside ABC corporation that said, 'Hire Me'".

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM

85 posts, read 373,647 times
I think these are great questions. As someone who has been trying unsuccessfully for many years to get back to Pittsburgh, I have often wondered the same thing. Do you basically have to know someone to get a professional job in Pittsburgh (have an internal contact, etc.) ? If not, how likely is it that one can obtain a job through websites like Monster.com or even local Pittsburgh sites like the Pittsburgh Technology Council?

I look forward to hearing the responses.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
1. What is it you do for a living? (in general terms, please, i.e., lawyer, bricklayer, sous chef, mayor, etc.)

DH is in health care; I am a SAHM.

2. How did you get YOUR job?

DH got a degree in physics. I got pregnant!

BTW - there is a severe shortage of physicists in the area. DH is asked to consult all over the tri-state area... alas, he cannot possible handle all the work that is out there (or we would be obscenely well-off!).

Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Love2Travel, are you still trying to find work in Pittsburgh? I'm glad to see you haven't given up yet! I know you were/are close.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 PM

214 posts, read 241,861 times
1: Architectural Engineer, Lighting/Electrical design for buildings both renovation and ground up

2:Got AE degree. Used Penn State career services for 1st job. Used Careerbuilder.com for job in Pittsburgh.

BTW - there is a severe shortage of AE, Architects, and interior designers in the area. There is a lot of work out there. My firm needs a HVAC, Plumbing engineers and some architects.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghgirl View Post
I think these are great questions. As someone who has been trying unsuccessfully for many years to get back to Pittsburgh, I have often wondered the same thing. Do you basically have to know someone to get a professional job in Pittsburgh (have an internal contact, etc.) ? If not, how likely is it that one can obtain a job through websites like Monster.com or even local Pittsburgh sites like the Pittsburgh Technology Council?

I look forward to hearing the responses.
I used careerbuilder when looking for jobs in Pittsburgh while living in Denver. They had many posting for what I did, but most of them were all for two places, called Alteck and Oxford. I was confused. I thought they must have been two big companies or something. What they were, were job placements for engineering companies. They are their own companies that you work on contract for them for 6 months and they take a slice of your pay out of each pay check. Then after your 6 months you work directly for your company. They usually work well because they will work hard for you to get money from your first 6 months of pay. They use monster and career builder a lot. I don't know what it is like for other professions though.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 PM

BurghGirl, where do you live now?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Actually, Boylocke, I have pretty much given up on finding a job here.

I'm in the process of packing up my stuff and getting rid of things I have no need for.

So what's your story, Boylocke? I saw your posts on the Seattle board, talking about buying a condo up there.

What do you do, and how did you get your job? Or are you independently wealthy?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Did you send out your resume to all those jobs posted on that career builder link I sent you. There was like 300 some of them.

Also, if your packing up, where you going? DIdn't you say Washington or something like that? Did you find a job down there?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
I'm a SAHM right now, but in my experience with Pittsburgh and that of most people I know (with jobs in software, advertising, PR, writing, fundraising) your best bet for getting a job here is to know someone. All my husband's jobs in software QA he got through someone he knew from college or a previous job. When I was working here in tech writing and software training it was the same. Back when I graduated from CMU in 1991 neither I nor any of my friends could get professional jobs -- we were all temp secretaries, waitresses, and busboys -- some people stuck it out and took bottom-of-the-barrel, low paying positions in their fields and have since moved up while others (like me) left Pittsburgh, got jobs and contacts elsewhere, and came back after we were more established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh