Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
In recent months I've been enticed to this forum by the prospect of relocating back to Pittsburgh. My thoughts of the city began to formulate after stumbling across a few articles about how liveable Pittsburgh has become. This thought prompted me to search out other centers of influence and here I am at city-data/Pittsburgh. After viewing the many topics directed towards current and future demographic, social, transportation, and cultural issues, I'm just wondering if Pittsburgh is as loveable as it is liveable?

If your thoughts lean in the direction that Pittsburgh is as loveable as it is liveable, then please share what you love about the city and what you couldn't do without.

I your thoughts tend to lean in the other direction, then please elaborate on a few of the issues that you have learned to tolerate and that only make the city liveable.

Anything is loveable and everywhere is liveable. Strange question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
List of likes: A one bedroom house in a seedy neighborhood does NOT cost $800,000 the way it does in coastal California.
The economy has been improving rather impressively lately
The diversity is also improving thus bringing with it a more impressive ethnic restaurant scene
Low crime rate compared to many other cities (we don't have an equivalent to West Baltimore or East Cleveland.)
People are generally helpful and honest
Dislikes: We lack a good amount of chain restaurants for some reason (i.e., Romano Macaroni Grill, Big Boy, Friendlies, White Castle, Checkers/Rallys, Church's Chicken, Cicis etc...)
I notice more people "smokin their ciggs" around here than in other cities that I have been to
Farther from a large body of water than I would like (although I understand that I could do A LOT worse than Pittsburgh)
Traffic of the parkway east and west
Those are just some of my observations

Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Dislikes: We lack a good amount of chain restaurants for some reason (i.e., Romano Macaroni Grill, Big Boy, Friendlies, White Castle, Checkers/Rallys, Church's Chicken, Cicis etc...)
We have CiCi's........

I think there are plenty of chains here. But you can have the chains: I love all the original restaurants in our area and will take them anyday.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
We specifically like our homegrown chains--Primanti's, Eat n Park, Pamela's, Mad Mex, and so on.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
We have CiCi's........

I think there are plenty of chains here. But you can have the chains: I love all the original restaurants in our area and will take them anyday.
Sadly around a month ago all of the CiCi's in the Pittsburgh region closed due to "economic conditions." The only one left within reasonable driving distance is 75 miles away in Morgantown WV
edit: and another one that left recently is Popeyes chicken

Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Pittsburgh needs a Tudor's Biscuit World.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
scottpriester,

Not so strange of a question. What I love are the city's bridges, the view from the oval in Schenley Park, the walking trails down to Panther Hollow, and meandering through Carnegie Museum of Natural History on a rainy day. These are just a few of the things I love about Pittsburgh. Livability or quality of life issues are the weather, traffic, public transportation, and lack of good fishing within an hour drive of the city. I hope you can now appreciate the reasonability of the question.

Last edited by eccotecc; 06-07-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Eat 'n Park started out as a part of the Big Boy chain, remained so until 1975. So not so local as some may think.

Eat'n Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Eat 'n Park started out as a part of the Big Boy chain, remained so until 1975.
That's not quite accurate as you stated it:

After 46 years, Eat'n Park still revs sales, appetites | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles

Quote:
And the company was dual branding long before such a practice had a name. When founder Larry Hatch opened a carhop in 1949, he signed a deal with the Big Boy chain to sell its signature hamburger in his Eat'n Park. . . . Eat'n Park had continued selling the Big Boy burger, and eventually marketed the product in 41 restaurants. Then in 1976 a contract dispute caused the company to withdraw from the Big Boy system. The sandwich, however, remained on Eat'n Park's menu and was renamed the Superburger.
So Eat'n Park did have a relationship with Big Boy, but it was locally owned, and it wasn't fully homogenized with other Big Boy restaurants.

Last edited by BrianTH; 06-07-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's not quite accurate as you stated it:

After 46 years, Eat'n Park still revs sales, appetites | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles

So Eat'n Park did have a relationship with Big Boy, but it was locally owned, and it wasn't fully homogenized with other Big Boy restaurants.
From my link:

Until 1975, Eat'n Park was the Pittsburgh-area franchisee of Big Boy.

I can remember their advertising when I was a kid:

"Try Eat n Park, home of the Big Boy hamburger".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh