Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Here are US cities by land area:

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the lower 48, a city-county the size of Allegheny County would be #3 behind Jacksonville and Anaconda, MT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I don't understand this obsession, and that's what it is with some posters, of Pittsburgh's population and how Pittsburgh is getting screwed statistically b/c of its small size, it should annex 10 different suburbs or maybe even all of Allegheny County, yada, yada, yada. Just what good with this do, other than elevate Pittsburgh's size in the list of cities? The MSA wouldn't change, the CSA wouldn't change.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand this obsession, and that's what it is with some posters, of Pittsburgh's population and how Pittsburgh is getting screwed statistically b/c of its small size, it should annex 10 different suburbs or maybe even all of Allegheny County, yada, yada, yada. Just what good with this do, other than elevate Pittsburgh's size in the list of cities? The MSA wouldn't change, the CSA wouldn't change.
some people are always worried about the size of the other guy's penis and that's basically what drives this discussion

Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand this obsession, and that's what it is with some posters
Indeed. For example, any post like this draws you to this forum like catnip.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
some people are always worried about the size of the other guy's penis and that's basically what drives this discussion
Apparently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHPA611 View Post
What does Pittsburgh need to do in order to be one of the top ten populated cities in the US??
What makes anyone think that if Pittsburgh did this, just to increase the size of its population, that other cities would not do so as well, assuming there is actually some benefit to doing so? Aurora, Colorado, pop. 332,000 is located in both Adams and Arapahoe Counties. Assuming it could just take over the rest of the land in these counties, it would have a population of 1,036,391, and growing. Chicago, already #3, would be 5,200,000 if it took over all of Cook County.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Yeah I'm a statistics, economics and numbers guy myself but I don't get all the threads about population.

My 2 cents - I think Pittsburgh has an apartment problem and definitely a transportation problem but the geography has always been a part of the issue there. I would move there but I'm not interested in buying a house at this point in my life. I would also prefer to live near downtown..thus this is where the problem starts. The areas near downtown should have more residential towers if you go to other old cities like New York there are residential highrises on every block. That's how cities hold massive amounts of people. Turning big houses into 2 apartments is not how how you house massive amounts of people. So if you want Pittsburgh to turn into some huge 21st century metropolis like out of the Fifth Element or something...better get started now.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM

There are lots of places in or near Downtown you could put more residential highrises, and with rents continually rising you would think that is bound to start happening eventually. Of course that isn't going to add up to hundreds of thousands of units, but it could eventually mean tens of thousands more people living in or near Downtown.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are lots of places in or near Downtown you could put more residential highrises, and with rents continually rising you would think that is bound to start happening eventually. Of course that isn't going to add up to hundreds of thousands of units, but it could eventually mean tens of thousands more people living in or near Downtown.
Oh I agree I always think that when I go through various streets in some neighborhoods. It's just that for whatever reason..it's not happening.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 AM

An example of a modern apartment complex in an old city.....some also now have integrated parking. This is very easily achieved with modern engineering.

8 Spruce Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Oh I agree I always think that when I go through various streets in some neighborhoods. It's just that for whatever reason..it's not happening.
We're creeping up on it. Some existing highrises Downtown are being converted to residential, and there are new low-rise but still multi-level apartment block projects in neighborhoods near Downtown. I've been told a brand new residential highrise requires a bit better return in terms of rent per sqft (although I am not sure why), but even assuming that is correct, I think we should be getting to that point within at most a handful of years, and hopefully the financial markets will be more favorable at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh