Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM

69 posts, read 135,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Pittsburgh was unscathed buy the most recent housing collapse and for this reason has placed it on many people's radar as a place to relocate to. With the influx of new people into the area, they bring with them large amounts of equity or skills that demand high salaries. With this type of economic advantage, through no fault of their own, they will be driving up the price of desirable housing to a height never experienced in the history of Pittsburgh. To support my hypothesis I'll use Washington and Oregon as an example. When buyers from California invaded the Pacific Northwest, their existing housing stocks increased in value by 50% in a matter of a few short years which resulted in pricing the next generation out of buying a home. With this in mind, will Pittsburghers be priced out of the housing market?
My wife and I were considering relocating to Pitt thinking it might be an 'undiscovered' gem - or maybe it is just Pitt's turn to be the 'it' place ala Austin or whatever. But we had to pass based on the wage tax and prop taxes. Those things really make you uncompetitive with so many other areas along with warmer climate areas like NC/GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,310 times
Will I become a victim of Pittsburgh's housing boom.

Nope. My wife and I could both lose our jobs and still afford our mortgage. One of the benefits of buying a fixer upper.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerstudios View Post
My wife and I were considering relocating to Pitt thinking it might be an 'undiscovered' gem - or maybe it is just Pitt's turn to be the 'it' place ala Austin or whatever. But we had to pass based on the wage tax and prop taxes. Those things really make you uncompetitive with so many other areas along with warmer climate areas like NC/GA.
'Z'at you, h_curtis?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post

Nope. My wife and I could both lose our jobs and still afford our mortgage. One of the benefits of buying a fixer upper.
How's that? I've love to have a $0 mortgage! (seriously though, I'm curious as to how you figured this).

Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
How's that?
Obiously Q-tip motha's mortgage payment is low enough to fit a budget while collecting unemployment benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I've love to have a $0 mortgage! (seriously though, I'm curious as to how you figured this)
If you don't want a mortgage payment, get a 10 or 15 year mortgage instead of a 30 year mortgage. You'll be mortgage free faster.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,977,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerstudios View Post

Walkerstudios,

Think of Pittsburgh as a sophisticated lady you would like to get to know and develop a relationship with. Before making your move on this beautiful lady, would you stop and think how much it might cost to start a relationship? Of course you wouldn't, you would make your move and try to impress the lady. You wouldn't spend the night complaining how much the date is costing you.

You're a married man, and I'm sure you have a loving relationship with your spouse. I'm equally sure you would move heaven and earth for her at any cost. You also realize, being the intelligent person you are, you can only get as much out of a relationship as you put into it. Taxes in Pittsburgh are higher than Texas, but the sophistication and natural beauty of the city are worth the little extra you may have to pay in taxes.

Living in Pittsburgh does cost a bit of money, but it's money well spent.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
The only people who benefit from a housing boom are speculators and the government due to rapidly rising taxes.

It's the worst thing that can happen to everyone else unless you sell at the top and move out of the area.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The only people who benefit from a housing boom are speculators and the government due to rapidly rising taxes.

It's the worst thing that can happen to everyone else unless you sell at the top and move out of the area.
As long as it doesn't become a bubble, a bit of a boom would help a city like Pittsburgh. It could revitalize run down areas and create economic growth.. I think Pittsburgh is undervalued and the market is correcting. As long as credit is tight and the crazy lending practices don't come back, a bubble is unlikely.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
As long as property and school taxes didn't rise along with values, homeowners might benefit.

But I'd be willing to bet that loco governments would be clamoring to institute yearly valuation assessments (as are done in a lot of the rest of the US) were values to increase significantly for a period of time. And in that case, only government employees would benefit, and that only as long as it took for tax increases to kill the market.

People are currently taxed at rates about double those of places like Florida. Higher valuations would make those rates onerous for most residents.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Obiously Q-tip motha's mortgage payment is low enough to fit a budget while collecting unemployment benefits.

If you don't want a mortgage payment, get a 10 or 15 year mortgage instead of a 30 year mortgage. You'll be mortgage free faster.

That, and we could afford it on minimum wage if we absolutely had to.

I'm not attempting to brag or promote what we're doing as a superior choice. That isn't a realistic opinion to have, and fixer uppers suck...a lot.

Its one thing to watched 'do it yourself' shows or flip houses for a living from 9 to 5, and a completely different experience to live IN the construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh