Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

I went out to eat twice in the past week and really am in shock. Guess I really am getting old. We went to BRGR and had two burgers and two beers. Bill? $40 (including tip). We went to Village Pizza for a total of 3 beers (pa brewed) and pizza for a total of over $60. I used to go out and eat and drink pretty reasonably, but that seems to be over. My question is, does anyone know of any great happy hours? Good beer and food for a reasonable price? If I go up to Butler County and north I can find reasonable priced places, but I can't seem to find anything local. Maybe going out now and again is just something I don't do anymore? As it is right now, I guess I don't feel that is worth it. Thanks for any ideas. As a side note, I have noticed many smaller bars closing. Three bars closed in Sharpsburg in the past couple of years. One has been for sale for that time and the others are now on the market. Maybe there is going to be less choices over time? Don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
HaHaHa

I'm a Big fan of Big Jim's down the run.

I was recently back in Pittsburgh for a week and ate there 3 times. One of their sandwiches you can eat for 2 days. Give it a try.

I'm a huge fan of their fish sandwich.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I went out to eat twice in the past week and really am in shock. Guess I really am getting old. We went to BRGR and had two burgers and two beers. Bill? $40 (including tip). We went to Village Pizza for a total of 3 beers (pa brewed) and pizza for a total of over $60. I used to go out and eat and drink pretty reasonably, but that seems to be over. My question is, does anyone know of any great happy hours? Good beer and food for a reasonable price? If I go up to Butler County and north I can find reasonable priced places, but I can't seem to find anything local. Maybe going out now and again is just something I don't do anymore? As it is right now, I guess I don't feel that is worth it. Thanks for any ideas. As a side note, I have noticed many smaller bars closing. Three bars closed in Sharpsburg in the past couple of years. One has been for sale for that time and the others are now on the market. Maybe there is going to be less choices over time? Don't know.
Define "reasonable". $40 for dinner for two including drinks and tip doesn't seem unreasonable to me if you're at a middle range place, which BRGR is. I think Shady Grove in Shadyside has half off burgers on Monday. But a $5 burger with a side, a $5 drink (which is what you pay anywhere if you don't want a miller light), tax and tip and you're still at $30 for two. I am sure there are 50 cent wing nights and app specials elsewhere, I just don't see how you can expect much better than $30 or so for a prepared meal for two if there is alcohol involved.

Solution: look for dive bars with college specials or revise your expectations. Eating out is a privilege, not a right.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Define "reasonable". $40 for dinner for two including drinks and tip doesn't seem unreasonable to me if you're at a middle range place, which BRGR is.
Maybe for you $40 for two burgers and two beers is "reasonable". I will never return. That is a ripoff. "Drinks"? One drink each. If you feel that is some value... well that is your right. As far as preaching to me what eating out is some "privilege", just don't respond and we will get along better. I have been around the block way too long for some kid to tell me what is a value.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
HaHaHa

I'm a Big fan of Big Jim's down the run.

I was recently back in Pittsburgh for a week and ate there 3 times. One of their sandwiches you can eat for 2 days. Give it a try.

I'm a huge fan of their fish sandwich.
Never tried it. I don't like smoking places and I should have mentioned that. I remember the Sharp Edge used to be okay for happy hour. Not sure if they still have 1/2 off Belgium Beers and 1/2 apps?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Try Middle Road Inn.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
There wasn't any smoking at Big Jim's. There may have been once but not now.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Try Middle Road Inn.
I've never heard of it but looking at the menu on their website, they've got the worst beer selection(pdf) I've seen in years. Yuck.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I've never heard of it but looking at the menu on their website, they've got the worst beer selection(pdf) I've seen in years. Yuck.
Big deal.

Curtis is looking for burgers and beer at a bar, not a fancy restaurant with a unique menu.

And he commented on small bars in Sharpsburg closing. Middle Road Inn isn't very far from his house.

All of those reasons are why I suggested it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM

748 posts, read 820,569 times
West Penn Brewery! I though the food was reasonably priced. All the way. Thanks for the idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh