Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I still find baseball boring...give me hockey any day!
That's your opinion. Baseball is by far more popular in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Its not taking the low road its telling the truth. Deal with it.

This is coming from a Detroit Lions season-ticket holder...
Sorry. What you consider to be the truth is not that simple. Teams with losing records this year may be outshining the Pirates in attendance so far based on the pre-season ticket sales despite how many people actually show up for the game. This is based most likely due to market size and/or more recent success. If the Pirates continue to win, ticket sales will skyrocket. Whereas sales will go flat for the teams with current better attendance that continue to lose. Combine that with a bad start to the season for the Pirates and the reporter's obsrvations are even less objective. There is more to the story at the All Star Break than simple numbers. They need to be analyzed.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'd be more worried about baseball attendance in Cleveland. The Indians are in second place in the AL Central, trail the White Sox by only three games, and have a winning record, yet attendance at Indians games is the worst in baseball both in terms of average per game and percent of capacity. And they don't have 19 consecutive losing seasons as an excuse either. In fact, they've been to the World Series as recently as 1997, and the ALCS as recently as 2007.

I will say this: any time a Cleveland sports fan (most often Browns fans) labels Pittsburgh sports fans as "bandwagoners" or "fair-weather fans" simply because the Steelers and Penguins are good, they can be quieted by highlighting attendance at Indians games. I don't know about any of you, but I'd rather Pittsburgh sports fans only show up when the teams are winning than not show up regardless.
I just moved to Pittsburgh from Youngstown (via Ohio University in Athens, OH) last month. I'm a huge Cleveland sports fan, but I also love the Pirates. Growing up in Youngstown in the late 90s, I remember always going to Pirates games at Three Rivers. Back then, it was a special treat to get Indians tickets, they sold out 455 straight games from 95-01.

Now it's not quite the opposite, but Pirates tickets are definitely in higher demand. I've gone to 4 or 5 games here in the past month, and the crowd is much better than in Cleveland. Even on the 4th when it was downright miserable outside, PNC was packed. I tried to get tickets the Saturday the Tigers were in town and all that was left were standing room ones.

In contrast, I was in Cleveland this past Saturday and decided to go a game since I hadn't been to one there since last August. It was disheartening to see how empty the stadium was on a Saturday night before the All-Star break for a team only 3 games out of first place.

Back to the Pirates though, I think the most impressive stat is the percent full. Current PNC is averaging 66.4% capacity, good for 18th in MLB. If they keep this hot steak going that number is only going to rise. Since PNC is one of the smallest ballparks, it will never be near the top in average attendance, but I think it has potential to climb to the top 10 or 12 in terms of percent full. The last time they finished in the top 10 was 2001 with 80.4%

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM

THe Pirates are like a race horse near the back of the pack but are making their move, poised to pass several others and finish respectable attendance wise

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM

377 posts, read 667,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just to support the point you are making, as I recall their are studies indicating that sports attendance is most highly correlated with success in recent prior years (meaning higher even than with success in the same year).
Seems an accurate observation - so far.
Look who's in 1st Place in Attendance and Last Place in Standings:
2012 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN
2012 MLB Regular Season Standings - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Here is what I had in mind:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21657467-post137.html

It was a college football study, but I suspect the dynamic is similar in other sports.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Go pirates!!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
A good buddy of mine from Philly wanted to come out on August 11th and take his daughter at Pitt to a game. Sold out.

Might be time to think about playoff tickets.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A good buddy of mine from Philly wanted to come out on August 11th and take his daughter at Pitt to a game. Sold out.

Might be time to think about playoff tickets.

August 11th IS a Skyblast with Styx.... would have been a sellout any way.

That said, I hope the 10th and the 12th are sellouts! A sellout series would be wonderful.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
August 11th IS a Skyblast with Styx.... would have been a sellout any way.

That said, I hope the 10th and the 12th are sellouts! A sellout series would be wonderful.
Yeah, and by the way there is a baseball game that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh