Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
There is no Wexford! Just a zip code.

I would agree with others, Marshall, Pine, Richland, McCandless, Hampton, or maybe Soulless Cranberry.

Lots of choices in your price range.
I thought there actually was a little place called Wexford, plus a big area that has Wexford addresses that are actually in those townships. Am I wrong?

Anyway, OP, I'd start looking close to the job. I mean, why drive farther than you must to go to work. My nephew lived in "Wexford" (I think Pine Twp) and his daughter went to school there. They were happy with the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
Hi! Thank you for responding!!

Sorry. I should clarify what best means to us. We are looking for a suburban family orientated community. Attributes we are looking for: a backyard so the kids could play, a neighborhood with young families, outdoor parks within walking distance and within a district that has a reputable and good school system.

Our budget lies between $275,000-375,000.

our jobs would be located just north of Pittsburgh in Wexford and also downtown.

Currently live in a suburb outside of Edmonton.

Thank you everyone!
Please be aware that Pittsburgh does not have a mall that comes anywhere close to the West Edmonton Mall.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Please be aware that Pittsburgh does not have a mall that comes anywhere close to the West Edmonton Mall.
From the looks of it, the entire US falls short, I have not been to the mall of america but have been to the King of Prussia in Philly and the South Coast Plaza in LA, neither come anywhere close to the looks of that mall

Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
From the looks of it, the entire US falls short, I have not been to the mall of america but have been to the King of Prussia in Philly and the South Coast Plaza in LA, neither come anywhere close to the looks of that mall
The Mall of America has minigolf (IIRC) and other activities, but no pool!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
The North Park Pool is pretty big.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Pretty much all of the nothern suburbs (collectively called the North Hills) of Pittsburgh are nice with well regarded schools. The naming, zip codes, school districts, etc can be a little confusing even after living here for a few years but honestly, it doesn't make a big difference at this point for you. You can save some on taxes by being just over the Allegheny County Border, whether its worth it or not is often debated, personally I'd lean towards no for someone who commutes to downtown.

This forum has a wealth of information for your research.

Personally, I used to live in Ross Township which I really enjoyed (I now live in the city). Its an older, closer in suburb. You could find a very nice home on the low end of your budget there. Some of the other areas mentioned above would be nice too... anything called Wexford, anything called Gibsonia, Franklin Park, Hampton, Pine, McCandless, and several others.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,581 times
THANK YOU!!!!

Awesome feedback! This is such a great forum.

Yes, West Edmonton Mall is pretty big....and pretty overrated. I won't miss it all that much!!

Looks like we will be visiting the Pittsburgh area in a couple of months. We'll spend our time looking at the areas most of you mentioned: WExford,McCandless, Marshall and Pine.

I have checked out other posts etc. and Mount Lebanon is often recommended for families and the good school system. I'm guessing it would be a far commute from there?

Anyone want to recommend a good realtor I can contact prior to our visit?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 PM

42 posts, read 69,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
THANK YOU!!!!

Awesome feedback! This is such a great forum.

Yes, West Edmonton Mall is pretty big....and pretty overrated. I won't miss it all that much!!

Looks like we will be visiting the Pittsburgh area in a couple of months. We'll spend our time looking at the areas most of you mentioned: WExford,McCandless, Marshall and Pine.

I have checked out other posts etc. and Mount Lebanon is often recommended for families and the good school system. I'm guessing it would be a far commute from there?

Anyone want to recommend a good realtor I can contact prior to our visit?
Mount Lebanon would be much farther to Wexford than any of the North Hills (25ish mile commute-plus traffic).

Wexford is a nice area. Half of it is in Pine Township (Pine-Richland School District) and the other in North Allegheny Schools. Both Schools are pretty much the same but North Allegheny has a much larger student population than PR.

Other areas to check out would be Mars and Valencia (in Butler County-cheaper than Allegheny. Mars Area Schools are also very good), Richland Township (mostly Gibsonia zip, but also Bakerstown, Pine-Richland schools- you can get much, MUCH cheaper houses here in Richland twp than Pine and most of them have bigger yards too!), McCandless and Marshal Twps (NA Schools- Wexford, Pittsburgh, and Bradford Woods zips), and Cranberry (not a big personal fan of it but its nice-Seneca Valley School District).

I live here in Richland Township and couldn't be happier! Highly recommend it here.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Honest question, what makes you want to leave Canada and come to the US (much less, Pennsylvania)? Our country as a whole has a lot of problems these days, are you just looking for a change?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Honest question, what makes you want to leave Canada and come to the US (much less, Pennsylvania)? Our country as a whole has a lot of problems these days, are you just looking for a change?
I assume the answer is the job offer.

And I think the truth is that the United States can still be a pretty good country to live in, if you have a good enough job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh