Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times

Advertisements

Bikers rejoice!!

Bike lane to replace several blocks of free parking in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

I like the idea of this bike lane on East Carson. It seems like it will connect the South Side with Station Square a lot better.

What are some other areas in the city this seems feasible to do? I personally think a bike lane should have been added on Fifth and Forbes Avenues in Oakland instead of the parking lanes that were put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times
I find that most people who complain about the hills in Pittsburgh are obese smokers. East Carson is hardly a "hill." I enjoy all of the real hills in the city and often take my running route up Fisk or Main st in Lawrenceville.

I see people using the bike lanes all the time, all over the city (where they are located at least).

So, how is this a horrible idea?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Bikers rejoice!!

Bike lane to replace several blocks of free parking in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

I like the idea of this bike lane on East Carson. It seems like it will connect the South Side with Station Square a lot better.

What are some other areas in the city this seems feasible to do? I personally think a bike lane should have been added on Fifth and Forbes Avenues in Oakland instead of the parking lanes that were put in.
Won't make a difference...they ride down the middle of lanes/in the street regardless of traffic/etc anyway. Just makes them easier targets for hte people who like to fly around right turns on red lights.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
The anti-bicycle culture in this city is pervasive. Any new bike lanes are a welcome sight. Bike lanes are a common sight in other cities, we are truly behind the times with this sort of thing. I could understand the negative sentiment (not really) if we didn't have a cycling culture to support bike lanes. But bicycling in Pittsburgh has exploded in the last 20 years, this is a good thing people, not something to get worked up about.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
As a South Side resident who works in Station Square, I love this plan. I know parking is already an issue in the area, but, like the article says, that really isn't the safest place to park anyway. I'll probably buy a bike now and bike to work, instead of walking/taking the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Who could possibly ride a bicycle in Pittsburgh? The hills make it impossible and unpleasant. Very few people ever use those street bike lanes.
This is sarcasm, right? The lane is going in the South Side FLATS. I see plenty of bikers riding around the South Side. There's even a bicycle cafe on Carson.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Who could possibly ride a bicycle in Pittsburgh? The hills make it impossible and unpleasant. Very few people ever use those street bike lanes.
Do you live in Pittsburgh? To be honest, there are more bicycles riding around the city now than ever before. Have you ever been on a bike trail on the weekends in Pittsburgh? I don't even enjoy them because there are actually too many cyclists for the size of the trails. This is the beginning of cycling in our region IMHO. The more convenient and safe it is, the more you are going to see people cycling, getting in shape and saving fuel. I hardly ever drive anymore and really don't want to. Sure the number of cyclists that go to and from work isn't that huge, but it is growing. The millvale park is full of cars that have bike racks. They are driving in from the suburbs with their bikes in tow and cycling into the city. Free parking, nice flat bike ride and WAY less stress. Great idea.

As far as this new bike lane, I haven't been in that area on a bike, but it sounds interesting. From the Smithfield Street Bridge, I generally cut down through Station Square and hit the trail. The trail has a little spot there... well is no trail due to the city parking dump trucks right next to railroad tracks, but most still ride a bike or walk through that little spot. Seems to be.. well sort of a harmony. Anyway, if there is a bike lane, I might consider riding on Carson and cut down to the trail where it is complete. I like riding on bike lanes and trails sometimes are just so crowded. I am not sure people realize how far Pittsburgh has come with all these trail and connections. The trails/connections are being used one heck of a lot. It is becoming VERY popular and I think it might even get to the point of being crowded with cycles.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
You find it overwhelming to drive here and to bike here. I am a 51 year old woman who transplanted here and seem to manage just fine. Pittsburgh hills are definelty not for the tricycle riders.
Oddly, I really love the hills. I ride a fixed gear most of the time and even rode one for a bit with no brake, but that was a bit much.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Another street that could use a bike lane is Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside, from Neville to East Liberty. Tons of cyclists using it as an alternative to Fifth Avenue. If we could eliminate one side of street parking, it would make a great bike lane. It would be tight in the business district between Negley and Shady, but the stretch from Neville to Aiken includes houses that have driveways.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Quote:
Horrible idea.

Next, look for your parking meters to be sold to a private contractor.

Tons of people cycle in Pittsburgh. I saw seven or eight other cyclists on the trail while commuting into work today, and that's on a Tuesday at 7:30 in the morning. I do like that you've used both "impossible" and "unpleasant," hahaha, as if impossible wasn't enough.

I cycled through the Southside to pick up some stuff from Utretch this weekend. The stretch on Carson with all the parked cars is a pain because impatient motorists insist on passing you, which means you get squished really close to the parked cars while the passing motorists swerve dangerously close to oncoming traffic in the other lane. Cleaning this up is a great idea.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Amazing news for the South Side and the city! Way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh