Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
OMG, the list is impressive. It would have never occured to me to look in wikipedia Thank you. Obviously I won;t watch every single one of them.
Some, very few, I have already seen.

I wonder, did they actually made film in 1894 and 1904? well even if they did and I find anything like that I doubt I'd recognize anything. I mean in those times Pittsburgh looked like those pictures you see on the walls of the incline or restaurants in station square.
I have to google to see when movies were invented. until 20s we had silent films, right? I also wonder what Netflix has from this list.
Film in some form or another dates at least to the 1890s, though they were largely very short vignettes. Films with actual plots weren't made until the early 1900s.

The first major sound film was "The Jazz Singer" from 1927 (which was mostly silent with recorded musical numbers), and by 1930 the silent movie was mostly dead (except for some Chaplin films, Silent Movie, The Artist, and a few others).

Pittsburgh was home to the very first Nickelodeon, which opened up on Smithfield St in July of 1905. It was the first facility ever opened that was devoted entirely to film exhibitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was kind of surprised that the Dark Knight Rises didn't even try to camouflage Heinz Field. You could see the big old UPMC and Giant Eagle ads.
You can see a nice "BNY Mellon" sign on the building in one if the downtown scenes.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Silent movies shot with a single camera actually date back to the 1880s, but it wasn't until the 1890s they started to become commercially viable, and in fact I think they started commercial exhibitions in 1894.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Thank you for guys for this bit of info about movie making. From that list I see that Pittsburgh was a popular place for movie makers even in those days.
I am going to change my FB location to Gotham
As for the batman movie, I spotted the Saks building when it still had the name on it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM

112 posts, read 162,048 times
Think some of the selections on there may be dubious in their linking to Pittsburgh (The Quiet Man? Pittsburgh? I know the character was from here, but as for being shot here....). But, this is the internet.

What I wouldn't give to see 'In the Name of the Law:'

' During the climax of the film retired baseball player, and current (for the film) Pittsburgh Police Superintendent throws baseballs off the 144 foot high roof of the ten story Pittsburgh City Hall with only the films hero Wagner to catch them and save a vulnerable public. The film relies heavily on Wagner catching baseballs in almost every possible way.'

Sure don't make movies like they used to.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
A couple of nights ago I watched a movie with a cop whose son had leukemia or something and the only compatible marrow donnor was a guy in prison. I forgot the title. I think it was on encore or something. I had no idea this movie was filmed in Pittsburgh. All of a sudden I see images of our former jail (on Grant street) and other buldings downtown and I got very excited. I'd recognized this building on Grant st. anywhere: it looks so much like my former high school, in my country.

Back to the movie: the switched filming locations between Pittsburgh and California, which sort of annoyed me. I liked the movie though. Sandra Bullock played the surgeon.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I'm thinking Desperate Measures, but in that case the doctor was played by Marcia Gay Harden:

Desperate Measures (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Desperate Measures is a 1998 action thriller film starring Michael Keaton, Andy García, Marcia Gay Harden and Brian Cox, directed by Barbet Schroeder. It was filmed in both the San Francisco Bay Area and downtown Pittsburgh with such landmarks as the BNY Mellon Center, the Allegheny County Courthouse and the Oakland Bay Bridge. . . . San Francisco police officer Frank Conner is in a frantic search for a compatible bone marrow donor for his son, Matt, who has leukemia. In desperation, he breaks into FBI headquarters and finds a perfect match. Unfortunately, it is Peter McCabe, an unrepentantly vicious, yet brilliant, sociopath and mass murderer serving life in prison.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM

270 posts, read 341,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I'm really looking forward to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I remember loving that book in middle school. The fact that it was shot in Pittsburgh (and stars Emma Watson) is just icing on the cake

They filmed a good bit of that one about 3 blocks from me. Should be lots of good shots of the city, Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, and Peters.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 PM

270 posts, read 341,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It was hard for me to take Dark Knight seriously, everywhere in "Gotham" was familiar to me as someone from the Burgh now living in NYC.....It was so strange going from Pittsburgh to NY scene the way the movie did...

Also I thought Chicago made a better Gotham skyline than NYC simply because Chicago doesn't have all the "Obvious" landmark buildings and bridges like NYC...I agree even Heinz field and the Steelers *I mean Gotham Rouge* could've been less obvious.

But still Awesome movie.

Remember the scene where Bain has a big fight with Batman in the marble lobby of that building downtown with the Gothic pillars in front? I'm pretty sure that was the actual interior of the building in question. That's rare for a movie.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
STRIKING DISTANCE.

that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh