Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Please don't change the subject. This isn't about either you or me; this discussion is about what everyone else is doing. Whether you care about them doesn't change the fact that they're doing things.
I'm confused . Isn't the following quote your opinion? I don't see much in there about what other people are doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Don't knock sprawl. This 'Merkan loves sprawl. I've done the gritty, urban thing, and I'm doing it, again, until I extricate myself from this lot. I yearn for clean, flat, grids with new clean restaurants on every strip mall outlot, wide roads, right-angle turns, easy parking and all the shopping destinations. We should consider putting a shelf life on all construction, perhaps 35 years, so we can tear everything down after the time is up, and things start to look run-down. Nostalgia's fine for the U.S. Capitol. In most other things, it just ends up looking dingy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
interesting you say that (though I think his point that places for mixing is really in the same vein)
I agree Florida's hypothesis is not totally implausible, but I am not sure his factual assertions about the negative causal relationship between highrises and mixing are actually correct.

Quote:
it could easily (in my mind) be used as a reason why improved transportation connections between cities is a good thing.
Absolutely. Once you are thinking in terms of migration churn and other such interchanges of people, ideas, capital, and so forth between places, the importance of all sorts of intercity networking is underscored. That includes transportation, and in fact you might even argue that one of the real inherent advantages of cities is that they allow for rapid and efficient transportation between different places each with lots of people.

Quote:
you'd still want to observe jacob's suggestions rather than assume housing everyone in towers is really the best answer. as was pointed out, it's more complicated than that.
I agree it is more complicated, but I think you still have to consider second-best solutions even if you think a lot of Jacobsian cities would be first-best. Urban transportation infrastructure alone is a huge problem--we haven't been building out the sorts of local networks Jacobsian cities really need, and the current lead time on such projects is in the decades. Meanwhile, we do have the option of packing more people near our existing local networks, and that can be done in years rather than decades.

Anyway, I agree it is complicated. At least these are worthy discussions to be having.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree Florida's hypothesis is not totally implausible, but I am not sure his factual assertions about the negative causal relationship between highrises and mixing are actually correct.
he's using correlation as far as I can tell, perhaps for purposes of his argument, that's fine since he's not arguing they shouldn't be built, but that cities should be careful not to fix the things that aren't broken. it's almost a modern argument against destroying the lower hill. it's probably not relevant for anyone but planners who, unfortunately, have a tendency to go overboard with ideas.

Quote:
I agree it is more complicated, but I think you still have to consider second-best solutions even if you think a lot of Jacobsian cities would be first-best. Urban transportation infrastructure alone is a huge problem--we haven't been building out the sorts of local networks Jacobsian cities really need, and the current lead time on such projects is in the decades. Meanwhile, we do have the option of packing more people near our existing local networks, and that can be done in years rather than decades.

Anyway, I agree it is complicated. At least these are worthy discussions to be having.
I saw you reference european plaza/piazza in regards to smallman st which I think is entirely within the realm of creating good places to mix. I think those things not only enable mixing, but also attract people. the problem is when it's controlled top down, say, as a ura project and filled with chains, it probably isn't going to attract creativity. you create the space, but allow people to fill in around it.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
he's using correlation as far as I can tell, perhaps for purposes of his argument, that's fine since he's not arguing they shouldn't be built, but that cities should be careful not to fix the things that aren't broken. it's almost a modern argument against destroying the lower hill. it's probably not relevant for anyone but planners who, unfortunately, have a tendency to go overboard with ideas.
I'm not sure that is always the right answer. Say you've got a scenario in which there are already low-mid rise buildings clustered near all your local rapid transit nodes. Ideally you might be expanding your local rapid transit system to create more nodes, but again that can take a lot of time, and funding might be constrained for reasons beyond local control. You might not exactly call that situation "broken", but to add more units near local rapid transit nodes, you may need to start converting some parcels into highrises.

Note a variation on this theme is that there are actually infill options available near some transit nodes, but people in the relevant areas are objecting to highrise infill specifically because it would "change the character" of the neighborhood, or something to that effect. And of course proximity to transit nodes is only one possible thing that could define a prime location--walkability to major employment clusters or regional amenities would also count.

I agree this sort of highrise development in strategic locations should not be done thoughtlessly, but I don't think we should rule it out either. And I do think it is a live issue in many places--in fact, I think we are already seeing something similar happening here, say in discussions about what to do with the Buncher properties in the Strip. The proposed apartment blocks are not highrises, but I have seen people objecting to even that scale of infill project on the grounds it may jeopardize the existing Strip, and precisely on a "if it is not broken don't fix it" sort of logic.

Quote:
I saw you reference european plaza/piazza in regards to smallman st which I think is entirely within the realm of creating good places to mix. I think those things not only enable mixing, but also attract people.
Indeed. But of course that opens up the possibility of combining both residential highrises and smart, "human scale", public places. Among other things, I am not sure Florida is right that it actually matters what sort of structures people live in, if they have public places consistent with a Jacobsian vision.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that is always the right answer. Say you've got a scenario in which there are already low-mid rise buildings clustered near all your local rapid transit nodes. Ideally you might be expanding your local rapid transit system to create more nodes, but again that can take a lot of time, and funding might be constrained for reasons beyond local control. You might not exactly call that situation "broken", but to add more units near local rapid transit nodes, you may need to start converting some parcels into highrises.
if said area was already generating an outsized share of economic benefits to the region it might not make sense to go in an incentivize changing it. to me, the takeaway is that you shouldn't generalize and that you need to look at each situation specifically.

Quote:
I agree this sort of highrise development in strategic locations should not be done thoughtlessly, but I don't think we should rule it out either.
I don't think anyone ruled it out, even in the article he says it's good that they are increasing density in an area built for it (midtown)
Quote:
And I do think it is a live issue in many places--in fact, I think we are already seeing something similar happening here, say in discussions about what to do with the Buncher properties in the Strip. The proposed apartment blocks are not highrises, but I have seen people objecting to even that scale of infill project on the grounds it may jeopardize the existing Strip, and precisely on a "if it is not broken don't fix it" sort of logic.
it would take a distorted logic to argue that the vast surface lots aren't a "broken" imo. I do think that you can say simply building highrises won't necessarily foster interaction and therefore economic creativity, that regardless of the size of the buildings, you need to pay attention to how they interact with the rest of the city and within a development the size of buncher's.

Quote:
Indeed. But of course that opens up the possibility of combining both residential highrises and smart, "human scale", public places. Among other things, I am not sure Florida is right that it actually matters what sort of structures people live in, if they have public places consistent with a Jacobsian vision.
to some extent it does since old spaces often require creative solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh