Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I did!! But I grew up in Burrell and was intimately involved in their school district. I figured I couldn't count my own school because it was hard to judge people when you're all in a uniform!! That's why uniforms exist. It's not to look nice, or to give the students a sense of pride or conformity. It's to give all the students a gray background. You have to actually learn something about your classmates before you can instantly judge them!!
That is actually a good point. And it would cut down on the clothing battles, both between parents and kids, and kids and kids. I don't know if it does anything for quality, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:40 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
I don't know if it does anything for quality, however.
Hm, I'm not sure. Part of me wants to say that no, it wouldn't make a difference. But part of me thinks it might improve the learning environment. I can't speak for every private, uniform-wearing high school in the country, but I think my high school spent less time on judging each other and "cliquing" and more time on actually communicating and learning.

I think I've said before how open-minded and progressive my catholic high school was. It was really wonderful, some of the best years of my life. I came out when I was a junior and had nothing but support and love from my peers and faculty, alike.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I think I've said before how open-minded and progressive my catholic high school was. It was really wonderful, some of the best years of my life. I came out when I was a junior and had nothing but support and love from my peers and faculty, alike.
That is great for you! BTW, I considered parochial school (Lutheran, in our case) for my kids, but we live too far from Lutheran High, where, BTW, they don't wear uniforms. But back to topic.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
North Allegheny is not like Upper St. Clair as far as snotty attitudes go. Hands down, North Allegheny would be my choice over Upper St. Clair any day.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 47,411 times
As a teacher who has not only taught in Bethel, St. Clair, NA, Peters, and Mt. Lebo, but also as a mom of an Upper St. Clair Middle School student who has been in the District since kindergarten, I urge you to RUN to North Allegheny! If you're on the fence, rent the movie Mean Girls, and then decide if that's how you want your child to act or if it's what you would allow your child to be exposed to. My custody agreement will not allow for my daughter to go anywhere but St. Clair (long story), and every time I drop her off at school, it breaks my heart she has to deal with the students there. My husband and I got the hell out of dodge and left the community. What a difference!

We have dealt with bullying to such a degree that I had a lawyer draw up parallels to my daughter's experience and what is and what is not legally acceptable. Of course it was to no avail. That was 5 years ago when she was in 1st grade! The things these kids say and do are most certainly a reflection of their snotty parents' influences. The parents are so impressed with their perception of their own importance, that it's beyond laughable.

Let's get real for a minute too...Just because the parents act the way they do, that doesn't make it right, nor does it give the teachers in the District the thumbs up to turn a blind eye to what is happening and do nothing about it.

Most important, the education is definitely first-rate, BUT the negative social aspect unfortunately clouds the curriculum to such a degree that many students end up not benefitting from such a wonderful education because they're sad, ostracized, and bullied.

My daughter is in the top of her class academically. She is involved in Oddesey of the Mind, the IB program, musicals, cheerleading, choir, and golf. It's relevant to mention that she looks like a normal, average kid, not like society's sterotypical nerd, and she is witty beyond her years. Although we maintain the importance of keeping her focused on the positive, would you believe kids at her school put her down? They call her a nerd for being in the District's-ever-so-precious IB program. They call her fat, even though there isn't an ounce of fat on her body. "Where'd you buy this?" "How much was that?" This is what these kids talk about! And my daughter comes home hurt at least once a week, repeating to us some of the most horrible things kids have said to her! It affects her education, so those of you who say this goes on everywhere, you truly don't understand. Fortunately, we have been able to instill an "in one ear, out the other," attitude in her, so she definitely doesn't act like or feel as if she is a victim. What she doesn't understand, however, is WHY they act like this.

The parents are even worse. I went to one of my daughter's events recently and attempted to carry on small talk with some of the moms. All they were interested in talking about was that so and so's husband lost his job, this child is in therapy, that person is having an affair, this child is not good to play with because her parents are divorced. I felt like I was in high school again! (Incidentally....during a conversation with one mom, her 7 year old daughter walked up to us. I said, "Wow! You're really growing up, I see that you have your ears pierced." She looked at me sideways and with a teenager attitude said, "I got them pierced in pre-school." At a loss for words I said, "Well your earrings are very pretty." Her response? "Rome. I bought them when I was in Rome" Then she flipped her hair and walked away.) Of course her mom said, "They're only a carat each." We didn't want to get her bigger ones until she's old enough to take care of them. Plus, we didn't other kids to be jealous of her." BAHAHA!!! Who says this type of thing? It wasn't as if I was standing on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Palm Beach, or even in Beverly Hills.

It's no wonder these kids act the way they do, but that is certainly no excuse for the teachers and administrators to act as if it's not happening. At the very least, I believe they should address what is REALLY going on there before these behaviors impact USC's education any more than they already are.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlane1 View Post
As a teacher who has not only taught in Bethel, St. Clair, NA, Peters, and Mt. Lebo, but also as a mom of an Upper St. Clair Middle School student who has been in the District since kindergarten, I urge you to RUN to North Allegheny! If you're on the fence, rent the movie Mean Girls, and then decide if that's how you want your child to act or if it's what you would allow your child to be exposed to. My custody agreement will not allow for my daughter to go anywhere but St. Clair (long story), and every time I drop her off at school, it breaks my heart she has to deal with the students there. My husband and I got the hell out of dodge and left the community. What a difference!

We have dealt with bullying to such a degree that I had a lawyer draw up parallels to my daughter's experience and what is and what is not legally acceptable. Of course it was to no avail. That was 5 years ago when she was in 1st grade! The things these kids say and do are most certainly a reflection of their snotty parents' influences. The parents are so impressed with their perception of their own importance, that it's beyond laughable.

Let's get real for a minute too...Just because the parents act the way they do, that doesn't make it right, nor does it give the teachers in the District the thumbs up to turn a blind eye to what is happening and do nothing about it.

Most important, the education is definitely first-rate, BUT the negative social aspect unfortunately clouds the curriculum to such a degree that many students end up not benefitting from such a wonderful education because they're sad, ostracized, and bullied.

My daughter is in the top of her class academically. She is involved in Oddesey of the Mind, the IB program, musicals, cheerleading, choir, and golf. It's relevant to mention that she looks like a normal, average kid, not like society's sterotypical nerd, and she is witty beyond her years. Although we maintain the importance of keeping her focused on the positive, would you believe kids at her school put her down? They call her a nerd for being in the District's-ever-so-precious IB program. They call her fat, even though there isn't an ounce of fat on her body. "Where'd you buy this?" "How much was that?" This is what these kids talk about! And my daughter comes home hurt at least once a week, repeating to us some of the most horrible things kids have said to her! It affects her education, so those of you who say this goes on everywhere, you truly don't understand. Fortunately, we have been able to instill an "in one ear, out the other," attitude in her, so she definitely doesn't act like or feel as if she is a victim. What she doesn't understand, however, is WHY they act like this.

The parents are even worse. I went to one of my daughter's events recently and attempted to carry on small talk with some of the moms. All they were interested in talking about was that so and so's husband lost his job, this child is in therapy, that person is having an affair, this child is not good to play with because her parents are divorced. I felt like I was in high school again! (Incidentally....during a conversation with one mom, her 7 year old daughter walked up to us. I said, "Wow! You're really growing up, I see that you have your ears pierced." She looked at me sideways and with a teenager attitude said, "I got them pierced in pre-school." At a loss for words I said, "Well your earrings are very pretty." Her response? "Rome. I bought them when I was in Rome" Then she flipped her hair and walked away.) Of course her mom said, "They're only a carat each." We didn't want to get her bigger ones until she's old enough to take care of them. Plus, we didn't other kids to be jealous of her." BAHAHA!!! Who says this type of thing? It wasn't as if I was standing on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Palm Beach, or even in Beverly Hills.

It's no wonder these kids act the way they do, but that is certainly no excuse for the teachers and administrators to act as if it's not happening. At the very least, I believe they should address what is REALLY going on there before these behaviors impact USC's education any more than they already are.
Good for you on great parental influence! That's what really makes a difference in kids lives. The kids in my junior high and high school were pretty bad (but not as bad as what your daughter faces!) and one of the reasons I stayed well adjusted during that is my family.

So pat yourself on the back!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,730 times
My children attended N. Allegheny school district for (4) years, elementary, then we were transferred to Texas. By far the BEST school district my children have attended. We have made several geographical moves...and N. Allegheny has topped our list. The teachers were terrific...spotted early on some reading disabilities w/my daughter that were quickly addressed--we have lived in No. Va, Pittsburgh, and now Texas. Schools in the North are far superior. My children attended Franklin Elementary and to this day, I credit that school for pointing out the help my daughter/son needed. I am sure USC is just as good, but first hand experience, N.A. rocks!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 87,375 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about all the statistics or what have you, but I think anyone who would try to convince me that Upper St. Clair is a better school district than North Allegheny would have a major uphill battle.

Upper St. Clair is a very fine district, from what I know, but North Allegheny is surely superior.
boylocke,
I have been reading on these 2 school districts and surprisingly you are the first to state that north Allegheny is better than USC from an educational stand-point. How do you plan to backup the claim when USC is a blue-ribbon district and standard score are much better than north Allegheny?

Kids being mean and materialistic values are a whole another subject which might be the same in N.A due to the level of similar affluence to USC.
Any opinions from N.A?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 10-07-2007, 02:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r777
I have been reading on these 2 school districts and surprisingly you are the first to state that north Allegheny is better than USC from an educational stand-point. How do you plan to backup the claim when USC is a blue-ribbon district and standard score are much better than north Allegheny?
Too funny! North Allegheny is a blue ribbon district too!

North Allegheny's special education system is considered superior for the region. I'm sure the fact that North Allegheny attracts a larger percentage of students who need special services lowers the overall standard score of the district. As a result, the standard score is not an accurate measure.

I know teachers who work for other school districts, but bought their houses in North Allegheny so their children could attend North Allegheny. Many professional educators chose North Allegheny for their own children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r777 View Post
Kids being mean and materialistic values are a whole another subject which might be the same in N.A due to the level of similar affluence
Any opinions from N.A?
You've received opinions regarding this issue. People don't need to live in North Allegheny to know it's reputation compared to USC. Many of us have lived in the Pittsburgh region our entire lives. We have friends and family who live in both districts. We attend sporting events at both districts. Our school districts host their sporting events too. We simply KNOW that North Allegheny's students aren't as mean spirited and materialistic as USC's students. There are quite a few districts in the Pittsburgh region that have a higher concentration of wealth than USC, but their children don't behave like USC students. While there is significant wealth in North Allegheny, the USC families are more pseudorich.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM

85 posts, read 373,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Too funny! North Allegheny is a blue ribbon district too!

North Allegheny's special education system is considered superior for the region. I'm sure the fact that North Allegheny attracts a larger percentage of students who need special services lowers the overall standard score of the district. As a result, the standard score is not an accurate measure.
There was an article in the Post Gazette a couple of years ago about gifted education (which is considered special ed) in the Pittsburgh area, and I remember being very impressed with the great ideas that the NA district was using to challenge their academically gifted students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh