Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the other stuff that is free is typical of big cities which all have free stuff to do.
There are definitely free things everywhere, but I can't think of another major city where so many of the top tourist attractions are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are definitely free things everywhere, but I can't think of another major city where so many of the top tourist attractions are free.
that's what I mean, it's the museums..specifically the older ones. baltimore is the only one that comes to mind, though they just have fewer of them. I didn't mean to dispute your claim there is more free stuff than other places if that's what you thought. it's not my favorite place and there are more rude people are than most places on the east coast in my experience but some of the museums are worthwhile. some people like it, it's a pretty new place and the economic growth associated with government spending has been tremendous.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
that's what I mean, it's the museums..specifically the older ones.
No, not just the museums (although that alone is very significant given those are some great museums). You've also got the Zoo, the Memorials, Arlington Cemetery, the Capitol, the White House, the Library of Congress, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Kennedy Center performances . . . you can fill out a diverse tourist itinerary with all free stuff and not be missing much.

Quote:
I didn't mean to dispute your claim there is more free stuff than other places if that's what you thought.
I understand you personally dislike DC, which is fine. I'm just interested in making sure that others reading this have an accurate picture of what they can do in DC on a visit, including for free.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
No, not just the museums (although that alone is very significant given those are some great museums). You've also got the Zoo, the Memorials, Arlington Cemetery, the Capitol, the White House, the Library of Congress, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Kennedy Center performances . . . you can fill out a diverse tourist itinerary with all free stuff and not be missing much.
cemeteries are free everywhere. lots of cities have free performances.
generally, the largest expense of visting a place is hotel and transportation. although charging a fee to enter the white house and capitol might be more reflective of how those places actually work, it might not be the best public policy.
as far as rudeness goes, I'm sure the majority of people there are just like everywhere else but I think the outliars (super *******s or arrogant snobs) are more prevalent there. to a large extent, it's simple common sense. if you're one of those people you are far more likely to be attracted to migrating to DC than Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Philadelphia. the main industry requires a certain number of these people. in politices, like executive level businessmen who fire entire plants, there are outsized numbers of functional psychopaths.

Quote:
I understand you personally dislike DC, which is fine. I'm just interested in making sure that others reading this have an accurate picture of what they can do in DC on a visit, including for free.
you didn't seem to read the sentence you quoted. I do like things about DC, including the national gallery. DC may be your favorite, but it's not mine. I also understand what people like about it, and there are certainly things not to like about it.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
you didn't seem to read the sentence you quoted. I do like things about DC, including the national gallery. DC may be your favorite, but it's not mine.
Talk about reading comprehension problems . . .

Quote:
In defense of DC, it has some great neighborhoods for walking around, and a lot of cool tourist stuff, much of it free. It also looks very different from other East Coast cities. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but I enjoyed living there, particularly weekends when my wife and son were in town, and I think it is definitely worth periodic visits from Pittsburgh.
Anyway, I think we all understand your attitude toward DC--you never miss an opportunity to express it. Like I said, I just want others reading this exchange to get an accurate understanding of their tourist options in DC, including the free ones.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
DC offers a lot no doubt.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Philadelphia and DC. The latter is rather soulless, but I still appreciate it for its great amenities and wide variety of things to do.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,715 times
NYC-Since I live 90 miles from NYC metro I visit there alot and love it.
Philly-Easy 60 miles south to some incredible history and fantastic food.
Harrisburg-When I first moved to PA it was the Harrisburg area. I love it. The entire metro area is quite large and offers everything one could need or want. It's location makes it extremely favorable for commuting to many cities.
Pittsburgh is nice but is a little over 5 hours away by car so I am there very little.
Actually from where I am between Allentown and Bethlehem it is closer mileage wise to Boston for me than Pittsburgh.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,890 times
I moved here from Wisconsin about 5 yrs ado. I had never step foot in Pittsburgh prior to that. I was and am a real mom that was struggling with a chaotic move. I liked Regent square and squirrel hill for our kids. If I was going to pick out a random city to live in, I would pick Jim Thorpe, PA because it looks awesome!

Last edited by Sideblinded; 09-07-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
my favorite - although i have little experience with it, i might go out on a limb and say BUFFALO, because of what i think it CAN become, its proximity to a lot of interesting things i would enjoy, and its admirable struggle to survive among the giants on either side of it - NYC and Toronto. poor, humble, gritty, awesome buffalo.

close second - Washington, DC (i would live there if i could afford a decent place within a long walk or bike ride from a job - NO METRO).

honourable mention: Jim Thorpe, PA. i definitely could see being a mauch chunker in my older years. breathtaking place.

the flipside: harrisburg, pa sucks, philadelphia can stuff it, and toronto, although a wonderful city, is idyllicized and overrated and i had enough of that place (and going again this autumn for another wedding )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh